What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The nature of humankind, god particle, evolution blah, blah, blah... Boring.

Disagreed. Stuff on screen in 2001 is just as interesting as the way it's shown.

I just don't think it's all that interesting, that's all. Images is what stays in mind. The fact nobody made a s-f film like this before. This is what matters. But I didn't find the film philosophical or thought-provoking. These ideas are quite simple actually. Unless you read more into it then I did.

Same with The Tree of Life. I'm not interested in its ideology and whether Malick sees the world in terms of Christian model of redemption. The thing that interests me is how he tries to make a "pure film", with no "plot", "characters". Just images and sounds. A collage of life, if you will.

Karol

I bet it was.

You think?

I can tell you from experience, it's difficult to come up with simple, strong science-fiction stories. When you're not sure yet what you want to tell it's easy to start throwing more elements into the mix and trying to connect them, ending up with some convoluted plot. It also happens that you can have a lot of alternative ideas and not knowing which one to use. In 1965 they still didn't what would happen to the crew when they crossed the wormhole.

Then there's one more difficulty: the time when it was written, and even writing it today. It requires a lot of research to know what you can or can't do in your story. Some times you come up with something and not be sure if it makes sense or it would be possible after quite a while later. Also you have to find ways to make the reader understand the science you use when is necessary without hammering it into his head.

You can't compare your own creative process to that of other people, Chaac. You don't know how the story of 2001 came to existence. Some of the best ideas are written in a very short time. I remember reading Clarke and Kubrick wrote the story very quickly. It was based on stories Clarke wrote before and things like 'evolution', 'space travel' and 'the next step' weren't exactly new in serious science fiction literature. The film itself ... now that was something the world hadn't seen before.

However, I could be wrong about it so I'm going to try and find out.

Alex

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Actually I watched it with isolated score/Goldenthal's commentary, so it doesn't really count. But what I will say is that it looks like a footage from a video game.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Contrary to what I said in past, I kind of enjoyed myself watching it. Not a good film by any means, but holds up better than I thought it would. And that's mainly thanks to the cast. I still think Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughan is a strange set for a summer blockbuster. Maybe that's why the film works? Anyway, it's better than I remember.

Karol

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Contrary to what I said in past, I kind of enjoyed myself watching it. Not a good film by any means, but holds up better than I thought it would. And that's mainly thanks to the cast. I still think Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughan is a strange set for a summer blockbuster. Maybe that's why the film works? Anyway, it's better than I remember.

Karol

It has some brilliant action setpieces, SFX, and music, and that makes it quite a fun watch. I love the trailer scene.

WAR HORSE

Having now watched SS's latest opus, i can offer not much else than what reviews have done ad nauseum: it's basically a showmanship-y matinee movie with splendid photography (sometimes so splendid you think there may be turtle doves coming out of your zipper any moment).

While many seemed to have problems with the first act, i found it just right in setting the story in motion (and yes, the music is a bit too gooey on occasion). The horse in the trenches has some wonderful and emotional scenery and at times becomes the kind of cinematic spectacle which reminds you why you like movies in the first place (all the charge and No Man's Land scenes). Then it becomes cluttered at the end, too many convenient contrivances are set up by the script so that we can have our customary uplifting denouement (typical Holywood style, think of the pen scene in BEAUTIFUL MIND).

WAR HORSE might have been a great miniseries, which could have taken the time to develop the episodes a bit more, as it is, it becomes a tad fragmented (like with the german boy soldiers) and rudders between really good scenes and others which feel like the sappy TV-Spielberg á la TWILIGHT ZONE - THE MOVIE. It's a good movie, though, with only slight missteps in tone and a too scripted final act. Music is present in the right places but spotting could have been more focused in the first half. They just lay it on with a trowel and it becomes irritating (how many shots with a boy running over a hill joined by swelling strings can you take?).

Above all, it is entertaining in an old-movie way and that is...in my book...not a bad thing.

Moneyball

Really great film. Top notch screenplay from Zaillian and Sorkin, and a good directional voice from Bennett Miller. Mychael Danna's score surprised me, could be one of my favorites from 2011. Pfister's cinematography is one of the best of the year, and the acting is solid all around.

No one watches movies in this place?

The Ides Of March

A good, but not great, political tale from George Clooney. It's all rather simple and nothing particularly impresses, but it's a good movie. Desplat's score is interesting, probably the best thing from the film. The end credits cue on the other hand though, takes things a bit too far.

Red Tails

The action sequences are spectacular, but everything else is middling to cliche WWII Story 101 elements. Still, at least Lucas didn't write or direct this film -- and as a result, it's far more watchable than his SW prequels. Terence Blanchard's score is also really, really good.

Sissi 1, 2 and 3

Wonderful, but I don't think they will be appreciated very much outside Europe. Would be great if they made a big budget remake...

Red Tails

The action sequences are spectacular, but everything else is middling to cliche WWII Story 101 elements. Still, at least Lucas didn't write or direct this film -- and as a result, it's far more watchable than his SW prequels. Terence Blanchard's score is also really, really good.

Lucas directed the action sequences.

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

Considering the holiday season is over, I decided to watch this one while I still had the chance. The blu transfer isn't top notch, but it's good. The film is as enjoyable as always. Tim Curry is awesome.

Why does he only do "black" movies?

You're joking, right? I personally think he doesn't get many film score projects offered, aside from his obvious collaborator Spike Lee. I liked his score for Original Sin, a movie as far removed from "black" cinema as it can get. It's the dud from 2001 known for its copious Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas sex scenes, beautiful photography, and not much else.

Yeah, that's the one I more familiar with. Great score. Perhaps not in compositional style, but in terms of mood it reminded me greatly of Shire's the Taking of Pelhalm 123

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

Another good (and completely symphonic) score by Hans Zimmer. Then, this is the kind of movie that suits him best. The main theme is very effective and original (as far as I know), the underscore fitting and works well in the movie (although bland and cliche at times); I don't think it will be a very interesting listen spearate from the film though.

Good? Symphonic? Zimmer's butchering of Mozart with synth(?) brass is blasphemy.

Oh that's true, yes that was unnessecary and embarrassing to hear I agree fully (also regarding the Johann Strauss butchering and the awful misuse of one of Schubert's best works). Nowadays filmmakers are misusing classical music to give their movie some weight...it should be forbidden.

War Horse

I was very excited to see this movie and it far exceeded even my high expectations. I liked virtually everything about it. The score was just right. I wanted to hear more of the main theme throughout, but Williams wisely withheld pushing that button too many times. Just one more time and it would have gotten cliche. It has my vote for Best Picture, even though I'm sure it has no chance.

Pretty good effects for its time. Them big bug blasts into space destroying the fleet are still pretty impressive. Then there's the ice-cold, passionless beauty of Denise Richards ...

Denise_Richards_Starship_Troopers_U.jpg

Alex

Watched The Way Back. Based on an incredible true story about political prisoners who escape their Siberian camp at the beginning of WWII, it was a good film with a few too many shots of men crossing obligatory barren landscapes. The scenery was frightfully immense, but spectacular photography alone couldn't disguise that the film was at least thirty minutes too long. Still, as stories of the human spirit go, this was certainly a worthwhile and brutally honest one. There is very little in the way of score, but in this instance I think some sweeping melodramatics might have helped with the curious lack of sense of travel and emotion in the more poignant moments. On the plus side, Colin Farrell was actually very good and not irritating at all. 3 out of 5.

The Wrath Of Kahn?

Did you actually see Master and Commander or are just just basing upon what you read online?

The similarities with Star trek are very minute. If you actually saw that film at some point you would know that....hmmm...

Yeah I've got Master and Commander on blu arriving today I hope. £7 off Amazon. Get to see it at long last.

The Blu looks great. And sounds even better then the DVD.

Witness is still the best.

Of course, I've seen it. And I understand why everyone sees the similarities. I guess you missed them, Steef? Tip: Picture the cast in Star Trek outfits. Now do you see?