What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

At least The Matrix was more original than Event Horizon:

eventhorizon13xn_zpscdc8a7e4.jpg

The film is blessed with good optical effects and production design but Paul W.S. Anderson is not a good storyteller and it hurts the film severely. Anderson doesn't think about characters or building atmosphere or tension, he immediately wants to show FXs and gore.

We all know the movie copied lots from Alien (the film seems to take place in the same universe), but believe it or not, Anderson copied a moment and maybe even a story element from Tarkovsky's Solyaris as well. There's also a blood flood scene a la The Shining.

5/10

In 1999 it was.

Now you'll quote the usual litany of previous movies with similar premises, yada yada yada. You know what I meant, stop nitpicking for the sake of argument!

1984!

When The Matrix came out, it felt like a revolution in action cinema. It was original, in its style.

Can somebody be more specific? Because I really don't know what people are referring to. So far, I only heard things liked "lived-in", but that far was from being new and fresh at the time. 'Style' is a vague term. Style of storytelling? The look? Be specific!

The style of The Matrix was a culmination of many different elements, things which are obvious and don't need spelling out to anyone who knows even a little thing or two about movies. If when someone mentions the style of a film like The Matrix the (genuine) response is "what do you mean?", the conversation is a waste of breath and can't be taken seriously.

Lee - not getting drawn into another redundant debate that is really just an excuse to go through the JWFan motions again.

So you can only make superficial claims but you don't really understand why? A bit boring but I see.

For anyone who likes to talk The Matrix and influences ... Okay, a culmination of styles ... that's a good starting point. So it's not the story. Is the "culmination of styles" what makes it refreshingly original? And what are the styles it uses?

I always thought the greatest forte of The Matrix lies in the way the age-old story is told. Intense and operatic. The look of the movie was quite familiar to me.

Alex

It's not about 'refreshingly original' but about how any regular moviegoer since 1999 immediately understood the phrase 'matrix-like' - even broad-audience geared parodies like SHREK found that more than distinctive enough.

So you can only make superficial claims but you don't really understand why? A bit boring but I see.

Meh, I just can't be bothered debating movies with you anymore. It's as simple as that. Sorry.

Take GreyPilgrim's advice, it was the common sense response to the question posed, I felt.

It's not about 'refreshingly original' but about how any regular moviegoer since 1999 immediately understood the phrase 'matrix-like' - even broad-audience geared parodies like SHREK found that more than distinctive enough.

I can understand that but most of it is based on bullet time which wasn't new.

While the "lived-in" world or 'the future is old' wasn't very original to me, maybe the design of the super advanced science was? You know, the whole sentinel world combined with a near perfect CGI execution of that world? That was a treat, for sure. It still is.

Alex

Meh, I just can't be bothered debating movies with you anymore. It's as simple as that. Sorry.

Take GreyPilgrim's advice, it was the common sense response to the question posed, I felt.

What happened to you man? You used to be fun!

Mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

Easily the best, in my opinion, of the 3!

The Dome duel is great (Roger Ebert himself praised it from what I read).

film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times called the Thunderdome "the first really original movie idea about how to stage a fight since we got the first karate movies" and praised the fight between Max and Blaster as "one of the great creative action scenes in the movies." He awarded the film 4 stars out of 4 and later placed the film on his list of the 10 best pictures of 1985.

The Maurice Jarre score also is very good and not as obtrusive as the music felt in the 2 previous films.

The children part reminded indeed of Lost Boys but I didn't mind.

And the music... bloody hell, the music. I found myself grinning like a lunatic during some of the most inappropriate moments (Unable To Speak, anyone?), to the brief confusion of my wife, due to the utter brilliance of Davis' score. That this sort of music was written for any film, and a massively successful one at that, is endlessly pleasing.

Oddly enough, I still remember people saying how great the soundtrack is when the film came out - and of course referring just to the songs. Yes, there are quite a few, and they're prominently placed, but how can anyone refer to them as "the" soundtrack, entirely excluding Davis' score?

I guess there's a fair amount of songs used but mostly as source music. The only exceptions, the Dougan stuff and the lobby shootout, are understandably praised - they kick ass. No, they should not overshadow the actual score. But people are like that.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Reasonably enjoyable on a very basic level, but predictable and ponderous. The thing with the very first film is that it worked very well as a satire, never being too serious, but always witty. Those new films treat themselves so seriously, it all becomes a bit... off. Some well directed action sequences, strong animation, but ultimately empty and pointless. Everything on the subject has already been said previously and because we already know where it's heading, there is no real drama or tension. A let down, sadly.

Karol - not a fan

Well, the trailers did nothing to excite me. But the critical reviews were saying something else - the 91% rating with RT consensus: "With intelligence and emotional resonance to match its stunning special effects, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes expands on its predecessor with an exciting and ambitious burst of sci-fi achievement.". I can't see how this is a "s-f achievement" of any kind...

Karol

The film is ok, about the level of its predecessor. But there's nothing really great about it, other than motion capture acting. If you're interested in such things, that is. I guess it's cool that a lot of it plays out without (audible) dialogue (like the first 10-15 minutes), but you still get ape subtitles when they communicate with gestures.

Karol

I'm going to see Boyhood in a few days. Its 12 year long in the making being its main selling point.

So we'll actually see the same actors getting older. How many films can claim that ?

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Reasonably enjoyable on a very basic level, but predictable and ponderous. The thing with the very first film is that it worked very well as a satire, never being too serious, but always witty. Those new films treat themselves so seriously, it all becomes a bit... off. Some well directed action sequences, strong animation, but ultimately empty and pointless. Everything on the subject has already been said previously and because we already know where it's heading, there is no real drama or tension. A let down, sadly.

Karol - not a fan

I thought it was really entertaining, but here's a thought - if you replace the apes with another human tribe and leave everything else thematically similar, would it be anywhere as fun?

Lard?

What happens on FB stays on FB, mate!

Thank God for that...

Well, the trailers did nothing to excite me. But the critical reviews were saying something else - the 91% rating with RT consensus: "With intelligence and emotional resonance to match its stunning special effects, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes expands on its predecessor with an exciting and ambitious burst of sci-fi achievement.". I can't see how this is a "s-f achievement" of any kind...

Karol

This is what I'm expecting from the film. Though all these rave reviews have me curious...