What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Counselor:

the-counselor-movie_zpszpnvmsmr.jpg

The first scene is surprisingly promising. However, after a while you realize that most of the movie is people talking in all kinds of places.There's no sense of direction or urgency. It doesn't seem to move forward. And when it finally does, you don't really care. The film's forte is the pompous, often smart and philosophical dialogue, but it's also its biggest weakness. It probably looked good on paper, but on the screen, it feels very writery and unnatural, especially coming out of the mouths of Bardem and Diaz. The Counselor feels like a movie Tony Scott could or should have directed. 5/10

Alex

It pleases me that it was released when the Twilight series was in full swing ... Abby may be 'stuck' with a 12 year old's appearance and feelings but has no qualms about feeding from people, unlike Cullen and his bunch of sparkly twats.

Mission: Impossible II. Oh dear lord, this is even worse than I remember. What does this has to do with the concept, I have no idea.

Karol

Don't you at least think Cruise looks cool? That's what matters... :lol:

It's ok. Nothing amazing, nothing offensive.

Well, it's Abrams isn't it. Unremarkable entertainment is his specialty. I was looking at the dude's credits this morning and they were completely run-of-the-mill. So why the hype? It's totally unearned! The guy is legitimately the most overhyped writer/producer/director in cinema.

So why are we hopeful about Star Wars again? The guy they have making it is 100% AVERAGE!

It's ok. Nothing amazing, nothing offensive.

Well, it's Abrams isn't it. Unremarkable entertainment is his specialty. I was looking at the dude's credits this morning and they were completely run-of-the-mill. So why the hype? It's totally unearned! The guy is legitimately the most overhyped writer/producer/director in cinema.

So why are we hopeful about Star Wars again? The guy they have making it is 100% AVERAGE!

That's true, but both Marquand and Kershner were not exactly auteurs either.

Karol

The latest rumour is that Disney is unhappy with the rough cut of the movie, so they're hiring George Lucas to overhaul the movie through re-writes and re-shoots. I suspect Harald Kloser and Thomas Wanker will score the film.

The latest rumour is that Disney is unhappy with the rough cut of the movie, so they're hiring George Lucas to overhaul the movie through re-writes and re-shoots. I suspect Harald Kloser and Thomas Wanker will score the film.

Excuse me for asking this but is Wanker really his name? Because if not, I see no reason to not 'forget' the K in Kloser. ;)

Excuse me for asking this but is Wanker really his name? Because if not, I see no reason to not 'forget' the K in Kloser. ;)

After all the rave reviews for IDR, people will proclaim them as the next John Williams.

The Hunger Games

Looking back at this, Jennifer Lawrence got this because of Winter's Bone -- and for her first big headlining movie, she is still fantastic. I have a love/hate relationship with the handheld camerawork here -- in some scenes it is stunning (when Tom Stern is allowed to keep the camera steady) but in others it's distracting. In a way that's good as the 'children-killing-children as reality TV' is properly conveyed without being gory.

It's not a film or franchise I want to revisit often, but Lawrence makes it worthwhile. I prefer this over the films she's done with David O'Russell.

The Graduate

Can't believe I'd never seen this before. It's a fantastic drama with superb visual storytelling. Every bit of framing, staging, composition and focus is there for a reason. If you have any interest in camerawork, check this one out.

It also features excellent performances by the main cast and a great script. The characters are clear, the pool motif works very well and the dialogues are excellent. The ending is nicely ambiguous. Great film.

It's not a film or franchise I want to revisit often, but Lawrence makes it worthwhile. I prefer this over the films she's done with David O'Russell.

I think she's getting worse and worse (telegraphing her emotions as if we're a bunch of idiots) as the series continue.

It pleases me that it was released when the Twilight series was in full swing ... Abby may be 'stuck' with a 12 year old's appearance and feelings but has no qualms about feeding from people, unlike Cullen and his bunch of sparkly twats.

It's been dubbed as the anti-Twilight because it doesn't glamourise being a vamp, rather it presents it as a miserable existence, especially having to remain perpetually 12 and being looked after by an aging man servant.

Jaws

Saw a screening of it tonight in the local cinema in Topsham, Maine. In the company of Ren and her husband.

Never been to a cinema which serves actual meals. I had the Captain America burger, a can of the same beer Quint drinks and a pint of Angry Orchard cider.

Jaws is the best movie in the world as far as I'm concerned. I watched it on the 40th anniversary a few months ago and it was brilliant, as it was tonight.

The cinema didn't actually play a print of the film, just the blu-ray, and made no attempt to hide that fact. Thankfully its an excellent blu-ray so the picture was great anyway.

Its not how I usually like to watch a movie, while eating a meal, drinking large amounts of alcohol with waiters and staff buzzing around all night. But for tonight, for a film i've seen countless times, it was just fine. The atmosphere was relaxed, and the crowd loved this film.

Another bucket list entry ticked off.

The This Red Line (extended cut). Say what you want about Malick but this film is gorgeously put together. And I forgot how well the battle scenes were done in this. Certainly not something you'd associate with this director. Top notch Hans Zimmer's score. The only thing that bothers me is the use of voice-overs (as it does is many of Malick's films). I can understand the impulse of using human voice but the content is entirely superficial, given that images are far more successful in conveying those ideas already. Other than that, it's a masterpiece of war cinema.

Karol

Watching Superman. I still don't like the half assed logic Lex Luthor uses to conclude that A, the Addis Abbaba rock is from Krypton, and B, that it would be lethal to Superman, when after all, Kal-El's people walked on those rocks every day for eons.

But the rest of the movie is outstanding.

I don't think the March of the Villains is Lex's theme. It's Otis'.

Watching Superman. I still don't like the half assed logic Lex Luthor uses to conclude that A, the Addis Abbaba rock is from Krypton, and B, that it would be lethal to Superman, when after all, Kal-El's people walked on those rocks every day for eons. But the rest of the movie is outstanding. I don't think the March of the Villains is Lex's theme. It's Otis'.

It's my number one superhero film. And it has the best score of them all. The little inconsistencies I take for granted, because I just adore the cast and their characters, and the heart of the film which is evident from the get go.

And for what it's worth, Superman Returns felt like a wonderful nostalgia trip to what made the original work so brilliantly. I never understood the hate for that one. You can't say that Brian Singer never got what Superman was about.

And the less said about Man of Steel, the better... :pukeface:

There's a handful of tracks I enjoy in there, mainly the Krypton thematic stuff, but the rest seems to have just dissolved down into serious levels of meaningless obnoxious thudding. Maybe a rewatch might help, since I don't think I've seen the movie since the cinema.

There's no amount of money that you can offer me that will make me re-watch Man of Steel. I loathe that abomination.

And the music, well I've heard it only once, during that viewing and it'll stay that way.

Wet Hot American Summer

I watched this out of general curiosity because of the new series. This is a movie I have no recollection of coming out, but I'm glad I sat down with it. It's almost indescribable. It's essentially a collection of scenes of what occurs to these characters over the course of the last day of summer camp, but no actual plot. It's just bizarre sequence of events. It kinda of reminded me of those Savage Steve Holland movies from the 80s but on steroids. It caters to a very specific comedic inclination and as a result doesn't even try not to alienate its audience in an attempt to reach mass appeal.

Looks like I'm on to the Netflix series then.

wet-hot-american-summer-poster.jpg