What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

What are you on about?

All i said was that Ex Machina contained a reference to Blade Runner. I never said that Garland was "going for Blade Runner", whatever that even means.

I Nolan it for you, Jay:

Steef: I hear Ex Machina is nothing but a poor man's Blade Runner.

Jay: Yes, Ex Machina was definitely referencing Blade Runner.

Trainspotting (1996)

Very interesting film, although I think it's better by its individual moments rather than the sum of its parts. How could anyone take this as a pro-drugs movie is beyond me, but still is quite good. Wonderfully funny and at the same time very dramatic. And McGregor is always great in everything he does, with what I assume is his natural Scottish accent. Still, by the end I felt it was somewhat inconsecuential, like it didn't leave me really thinking that much as I expected it would do.

8/10

9 - Good, but I didn't like the ending.

Snowpiercer - Considerably worse than expected.

It's loved, but then again, so is Fury Road. If you want to see a good ol' genuine 7/10 movie, watch Ex Machina.

Fury Road was great and had just the right (small) amount of script to hold the action together without getting fake or inappropriately ridiculous. Snowpiercer was crap and suffered from exactly those problems.

The Third Man - I'd never seen this Carol Reed/Graham Greene classic before, so took the opportunity as my local arthouse cinema is screening a newly-restored version.

Wonderfully atmospheric, with a post-WW2 Vienna seemingly rife with black market profiteering, that endlessly hummable zither score and one of cinema history's biggest bastards in Orson Welles' Harry Lime.

How was the restoration? This is one of my favorite films.

It looked and sounded great :) .

I watched Cast Away a few weeks ago. What a simple, effective film. I feel like I could easily watch it again already.

It loses a lot of steam when Hanks returns to mainland, though.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

I still get a kick out of this. Such a guilty and unpretentious pleasure.

Yes, I saw it free on TV and it entertained me too. It's way more crazy than I expected.

9 - Good, but I didn't like the ending.

Snowpiercer - Considerably worse than expected.

It's loved, but then again, so is Fury Road. If you want to see a good ol' genuine 7/10 movie, watch Ex Machina.

Fury Road was great and had just the right (small) amount of script to hold the action together without getting fake or inappropriately ridiculous. Snowpiercer was crap and suffered from exactly those problems.

Like I said before, I'm not a big fan of Snowpiercer either, but it had a more interesting concept (train wagons as linear micro worlds). Fury Road also has things going against itself. It felt too much like a remake of a movie we've all seen before. It was all about action (nothing else) and the action was sped up and not that mesmerizing, IMO. The old-fashioned orchestral score didn't match the images, and so on, and so on, ...

Fury Road? Oh yes! Maybe you've seen a different version or you didn't pay attention. The score is very old-skool. All Mad Max movies have old skool scores. It's part of Miller's recipe.

I watched Cast Away a few weeks ago. What a simple, effective film. I feel like I could easily watch it again already.

It loses a lot of steam when Hanks returns to mainland, though.

I don't think so. Hanks totally nailed the character, before, during and after his adventure. His solitude came across when he was again amongst his loved ones, even his previous relationship which had been broken beyond repair, was more incentive for him to start again, fresh, with a new outlook on life. He knew life had passed him by, and the only way for him was to change gears, set new goals. The strongest shot comes at the end when he's at the crossroads deciding which path in life he wants to continue on. Zemeckis always makes the symbolism to the point and clear in his films.

He leaves a lot to the imagination, no? We don't actually get to see Tom hooking up with that woman, but we can imagine he will.

Zemeckis is one of my fave directors. Contact being in my film top 10.

Trainspotting (1996)

Very interesting film, although I think it's better by its individual moments rather than the sum of its parts. How could anyone take this as a pro-drugs movie is beyond me, but still is quite good. Wonderfully funny and at the same time very dramatic. And McGregor is always great in everything he does, with what I assume is his natural Scottish accent. Still, by the end I felt it was somewhat inconsecuential, like it didn't leave me really thinking that much as I expected it would do.

8/10

A ninties zeitgeist 'cool Britannia' film which is still very watchable 20 years later. It holds up very well. I don't think The Full Monty can make quite the same claim ;)

I'm sure you agree that Fury Road is overall better than Snowpiercer, right?

I'd never have given it any thought if the question wasn't posed here, but I'd say I probably enjoyed Snowpiercer more.

Sure, it's basically a Klaus Badelt/Trevor Rabin score from the early 2000's.

But I would not label it as orchestral. Far too much programmed percussion, synth and sampling in it.

Don't forget Bernard Herrmann! And samples or not, it's about what a score tries to evoke.

Oh, you are one if those people. Never mind.

I assume you also love Ron Howards films?

One of what people? :conf:

First a Johnny, now one of those people, ... you have an identity issue!

Mad Max: Fury Road does not have a classic orchestral score.

Maybe the torrent Alex watched was faulty

Mad Max: Fury Road does not have a classic orchestral score.

Maybe the torrent Alex watched was faulty

It's funny how you super devoted fans, the so-called Millerites, don't hear the old Hermanesque Hollywood in Mad Max: Fury Road.