What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The DS9 uniforms certainly weren't suited to the TNG crew. The reverse situation occurred when they introduced the First Contact uniforms and the DS9 cast proceeded to own them.

I do think Generations looks pretty slick. The best-looking scene, the one that I remember since first seeing it as a child clutching my free poster, is very brief and subtle in its magnificence. Riker is speaking to Picard in his ready room and you see his reflection in the window and shadow cast on the wall. The VHS version destroyed this scene. Maybe that's why I remember this part the most.

generationshd0565.jpg

generationshd0570.jpg

It's beautiful!

That's what contributes to it feeling like a TV movie. They show the Enterprise very sparingly, as though it's just another episode and we're not witnessing the first TNG movie with the Enterprise on the big screen. You barely see it! In fact, an average episode of the TV show featured more exterior shots of the ship than Generations. That fugly Excelsior Enterprise-B is showcased in the opening and then the glorious TNG ship gets completely fucking wrecked.

Yes, Generations is beautiful. It's not as hateable as I remembered. The D looks great, even in its death. Though it barely only shows in the scenes near Amargosa. I can't understand why they didn't remodulate shield frequencies, but she had to crash to make room for E.

I only observed Riker and Data wearing the new later DS9 and First Contact uniforms (color over black with turtlenecks). Riker gets his in his first scene after Picard's ready room, when he's in Engineering discussing trilithium, and Data puts his on after Ten Forward, before beaming to Amargosa. Why? I have no idea. To make it easier to tell him and Geordi apart? Right, because one's black with a snap bracelet on his face, and the other's pasty gold. Geordi, Picard, Worf, Troi, and Crusher never change out of black over color. But even Nurse Ogawa wears a new uniform, and there's no rhyme or reason for the assorted crew. The unnamed gel haired navigator on the bridge we later see in Ten Forward, even she has a new uniform.

I do like that Worf doesn't get a new uniform in Generations, because I consider his big entrance on DS9 to be iconic. He still has his gold TNG uniform, while everyone else has color above black with turtlenecks.

I got teary-eyed with Kirk's first death and Scotty's Aye, but not the end. Kirk's memorial is too soon watered down with Troi and Data talking emotions.

Currently watching Star Trek Generations. Basically keeping track of when everyone switches from their TV uniform to the DS9/movie style.

It's fun to watch TNG and DS9 semi back to back/interleaved in chronological order.

Glory

a good, good film with some excellent performances and underlined strongly by Horner's score. When Shaw comes out to see that not one of the men have left (after the Confederate proclamation) and the music swells, the hairs stood up. Just stirring when the music goes, such as again when it swells at the cry of "Give 'em hell, 54th!" and to cheers the 54th march down to the coast. I confess that the film has never failed to make the eyes smart or, once or twice, shed a tear (on which note I didn't realise until tonight how Horner times "The Whipping" to Washington's shedding of his tear) and usually at the build-up to Fort Wagner.

'Seeing' the music in action against the scenes just makes both stirring and emotional, the music of course for the tragic loss of Horner but also the story that the film tries to tell. And...the sheer bloodiness of the Civil War -encapsulated by both the first battle of the 54th but chiefly Fort Wagner which Horner's score (and the lighting) makes more frenzied, mad and unflinching.

I'm often struck by how after the battle the Union asked for the return of Shaw's body but was told by the CS general commanding Wagner that Shaw had been buried with his men, written in typical language.

Shaw's father wrote in response that he was proud that Robert, a fierce fighter for equality, had been buried in that manner. "We hold that a soldier's most appropriate burial-place is on the field where he has fallen

61_1.jpg

A Few Good Men

I hadn't seen this film since the 90s, and it was interesting how much of it I remembered, down to specific lines and their cadence. But also how much I didn't remember; Mostly due to the fact that I think I mostly watched it on network TV, so there was some swears and other bits of dialogue that were like whole new things to me, so that was cool.

This is still a superb movie that holds up almost 25 years later, well acted throughout but especially at the end. Cruise's egomaniacal persona works great for his character, and Demi Moore, Kevin Pollak, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland and J.T. Walsh are all great too. But the real star is of course Jack Nicholson. His character is minor at first, only appearing in two sequences... but then when he appears in the final courtroom scene, the film kicks into this amazing energy that doesn't relent until the film is over. It's a brilliant finale - I was riveted in my seat like I hadn't been in quite a long time.

We watched a blu ray I own, and I was not happy with the picture quality; Didn't look any better than a DVD, really. Shame.

Excellent film yeah... Those were the days when Tom wasn't an action star but held his own against the screen legends of the day with dramatic roles.

This one, Magnolia and Born on the Fourth of July rank among my favorite performances.

Jack Nicholson may be the star of the scenes he's in, but he wouldn't be nearly as memorable if it wasn't for the superb dialogue and the battle of wits and ego's with an equally great Cruise.

Totally agreed. One of the best moments in the film is when Cruise has the crucial moment where he has to decide if he's going to go forward with his plan, risking his career, or back off and give up. The way he looks at Nicolson, then Pollak, who shakes his head no, then Moore, who gives no look either way, then decides, all while Nicholson is basically getting up and walking away, is just great.

It's interesting because normally with actors it's the other way around, they first do physical roles to get noticed by the masses, and as they grow older they tend to get more comfortable in drama's.

Cruise is clearly the exception to the rule. Of course there was Top Gun, but that one was hardly physical... just acting macho and handsome.

It just came to mind that Liam Neeson is also in that same boat, though not a stuntman like Cruise.

Source Code

I really liked this film. It has a very clever script for a movie that's about a concept as bonkers as Source Code and excellent performances by its three Gyllenhaal, Monaghan and Farmiga. Jeffrey Wright seems to think he's wandered into a comic book movie, but I can overlook that. The score is a little on the nose, but doesn't get in the way. All in all, I really liked this film and would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet to do so. It's fun, original and at 93 minutes, it's no great loss of your time if you end up not liking it anyway. Go see it.

Funny, it's visually probably the most boring thing I've seen in over a decade. It's just a dull, colourless registration of a Groundhog Day-ish story. I really didn't do anything that I like.

Funny, it's visually probably the most boring thing I've seen in over a decade. It's just a dull, colourless registration of a Groundhog Day-ish story. I really didn't do anything that I like.

You are just way too hard to please, you do know that right??? :eh:

Yea I liked it too

How about that main titles music by Chris Bacon, amiright?

Here's an funny tidbit: the composer's full name is Chris P. Bacon. His parents have a fantastic sense of humor. :lol:

It's worth mentioning again, cause it's hilarious. I'm wondering if his wife is called Eggs. :)

Oh and cute ??? Look at me, I'm covered in blood.

Your business?

Aren't you in IT or some shit like that?

Wrong thread?

ES3pLDp.jpg

Apocalypto - Mel Gibson (2006)

Since I pretty much agree with what Croc said about the film, I'll just quote him:

Apart from really sketchy and tired script, it is actually very good. The Passion of the Christ with running, essentially (and some Mayan elements). Simple premise but the film makes up for its deficiencies with vibrant style and efficient visual storytelling. I was truly transported and entertained.

8/10 (the film, not Croc's post)

Wasn't it always accepted as being a good film anyway? I remember it doing very respectably with critics. I haven't seen it.

The film certainly had its qualities. The human sacrifice ritual was the film's highlight. Incredibly nightmarish, and a moment in the film where you didn't really know what was going to happen. In my case, I think the chase aspect of the movie became a little tiresome after a while.

Spring Breakers:

SpringBreakers_Outdoor_01_zpsggnwcs40.jp

1e581693-b63e-495e-bbbe-c8cbe255a5ab_Spr

Indeed, Franco was very impressive. One of the best performances/rememberable characters I've seen in a long time.

7/10

Alex

We watched a blu ray I own, and I was not happy with the picture quality; Didn't look any better than a DVD, really. Shame.

well, it isn't perfect but it does look better than a DVD! ;)

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4858&disc2=4862&cap1=45272&cap2=45304&art=full&image=4&hd_multiID=1985&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Maybe the UK BD is better than the US.

Regardless, I'm sure it was technically better than a DVD, but it wasn't very spectacular

White House Down

This was actually an entertaining two hours, despite its rediculousness. The movie knows very well what it is: a Die Hard clone set in the White House. It even hits a lot of beats from the first Die Hard and Tatum's outfit in the second half of the film is a direct homage to John McClane. But the movie is aware of its silliness and runs with it. Tatum manages to be a suitable action hero for this film and Foxx is a fun and charming movie President. It's no masterpiece, but it's a passable action film and a fine way to spend two hours if you're looking for dumb shoot-em-up entertainment.

The Trouble with Harry (1955): Such a breezy Hitchcock murder romp but oh so entertaining.

White House Down

This was actually an entertaining two hours, despite its rediculousness. The movie knows very well what it is: a Die Hard clone set in the White House. It even hits a lot of beats from the first Die Hard and Tatum's outfit in the second half of the film is a direct homage to John McClane. But the movie is aware of its silliness and runs with it. Tatum manages to be a suitable action hero for this film and Foxx is a fun and charming movie President. It's no masterpiece, but it's a passable action film and a fine way to spend two hours if you're looking for dumb shoot-em-up entertainment.

Emmerich is usually a gold standard in special effects, but he dropped the ball on this one. Many shots look really fake and rushed. I hope Independence Day Resurgence doesn't look this bad.

Entertaining movie though.

Two great films I hadn't watched in way too many years.

Living in Oblivion (1995) - about all the things that can and will go wrong during an independent movie production, due to technical problems and vanities. Often hilarious, but probably just true. Seems to have had a big influence on Birdman - not only through the overall subject matter and style; there's one moment with a loud percussion score that seems like a proto scene for Birdman, and there's

the mother of Buscemi's character walking through a closed door at the end

La fille sur le pont (1999)

Devushka_na_mostu_La_fille_sur_le_pont_1

One of those films I've only watched two or three times over many years, but when I first saw them I knew they were something special, and whenever I finally rewatch them I know they have a firm place among my top favourites. A down on his luck knife thrower (Daniel Auteuil) who recruits suicidal girls on bridges as his targets hooks up with a disillusioned girl who can't avoid having sex with every other man she comes across (Vanessa Paradis). They hit a lucky streak for the first time in their lifes, only to learn that it lasts only as long as they're together. It's a very intimate movie at its core, but told in an epic fashion (somewhat akin to The Legend of 1900, another special favourite of mine), based on a concept rooted in magic realism, yet handled mostly realistically. A great script (often outrageously funny, but always in its darkest moments), great direction and editing, two outstanding leads and some of the best widescreen cinematography (black and white) I've seen - you could probably print and frame half of the scenes from this. It's criminal that there is no Blu-ray of this yet (that I know of). No original music, but the combination of that Badalamenti/Faithful songs with the knife throwing sequences is as good as it gets. And those scenes are easily among the most erotic (even if only metaphorically) put on film.

I really have to see something else by Leconte, because this is among the most cinematic experiences I've encountered.

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/protectedimage.php?image=JohnWhite/girl1.jpg_29062008

fc71d418ea1f9a6a8e8886a53481224c.png

vlcsnap11827.jpg

x_paradis_5_bis_2_thumb5b35d.jpg

vlcsnap12248.jpg

q.jpg

tumblr_la6erbn1kc1qaseldo1_500.jpg