What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

He saying that the film makers seemed to think they could get by with a mediocre film because the fact that it's part of the Oz franchise would get butts in seats, and he thinks they were wrong because the film came out very bad in fact, and no amount of Oz nostalgia could help it.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

He saying that the film makers seemed to think they could get by with a mediocre film because the fact that it's part of the Oz franchise would get butts in seats, and he thinks they were wrong because the film came out very bad in fact, and no amount of Oz nostalgia could help it.

Exactly.

The movie tries to coast by on its brand name, but the film could have been set in any fantasy world and still be the same. It's that generic.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I've only seen Abre los ojos, The Others, and Regression from him, I missed The Sea Inside and Agora.

I've only seen Abre los ojos, The Others and Tesis. Those were all great.

13 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Exactly.

The movie tries to coast by on its brand name, but the film could have been set in any fantasy world and still be the same. It's that generic.

Is that the one with James Franco? I stopped watching that one too.

The Shallows

The-Shallows-Poster-the-shallows-3971776

Strong start but the film couldn't maintain it. The fear and anticipation for a shark attack (yes, you have to wait for it) were the film's better parts. However, things went kind of 'wrong' in the survival part. Still, there was good in it, especially in the direction. 6/10 

It's main weakness for me is the all too typical Hollywood back story. Our brave heroine doesnt only survive the ordeal, it also encourages her to turn her life around etc etc..

I rather liked it, but wanted to like it more. The film would not let me.

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I only liked the middle act of that one.

While I appreciated the film took its time in the first act, to create some sort of mood, some sort of uneasiness before the attack, a lot of what happened in there was just plain boring or felt cheap (the phone call scene went on for far too long and the dialogue was generic as hell, and then you get those lascivious shots of Blake Lively in her bikini that scream: "And now, for your pleasure, gentlemen: Blake Lively's ass!". I don't remember Spielberg having to resort to that sort of crap!).

The interactions in the beginning of the movie were very real to life, dialogue and all. The drive to the beach, the way she was friendly to those two surfers but at the same time didn't trust them because she a was a woman alone. Or the way she kept an eye on them as the two went out of the water to see if they would steal her stuff on the beach. And all this time there was the underlying anticipation: The shark's perspective from under water, the bird's perspective (I always expected to see it then) or even when her hand goes in and out the sea, how that completely changed the sound (no score necessary) . To me that's where the real suspense lies. The part with the wounded seagull on the rock was also very good. 

I agree actually. Very true to live and a good way to bond the viewer with Lively's character. At this point the film could actually be about anything. It could become a romantic movie. A cautionary tale about traveling alone etc etc.

Exactly Steef, and the more the shark appeared, kicking whales out of the water and so on, the more I started to frown my eyebrows.

Only Bruce can kick a whale out of the water!

Spielberg was smart enough to show the shark as little as possible (though in some cases he had no choice because Bruce hardly ever worked)

Also, since this was a CGI shark it never felt like it had much weight to it. I've been watching shark docu's since I was 11. Great Whites are fast and agile, but also very heavy beasts. I didnt really get a sense of mass.

Again, that's what I found clever. Most thriller or horror films start being thriller or horror films right from the start. I guess this one does too with the short prologue (used to padd out a still very short movie?) But after that it's about a young woman on her vacation in a strange country, communicating with the locals in pidgin Spanish. The instragram style filters, the iPhone-like slow mo footage (Bloodboal, what's MTV, you grandad!) all felt fitting for what the film was showing at that moment. There's a deliberate shift in tone that occurs very dramatically once she gets close to the whale. From there on it's more what the audience was expecting I guess.

I also liked how she several times tried to fish after the name of the island. "Ah, yes! That's the Island Of The Pregnant Woman, right?" 

I didn't have a problem with the surfing either. It's why they are there. Like I said, I always expected the shark to come out of nowhere. 

27 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Jurassic Park 3D

My favorite 3D movie!

I can't think of a better-looking 3D film: sumptuous, saturated photography, great performances, CGIs that still look brilliant, and top-notch, yet restrained direction. Great stuff.

On 12/29/2016 at 11:49 AM, Jay said:

Regression

Alex is right, this is terrible.  It had promise because it was directed by Amenabar, starred Watson, Hawke, and Thewlis, production values were high enough, etc.  But the story is stupid and completely predictable

Reveal hidden contents

I just looked it up, and it turns out we watched this one back in May.  In the 7 months since then, I've basically forgotten everything about it because it leaves no impression whatsoever.  I had to look it up on Wikipedia to even remember the plot details.

No reason to see this one at all.

Speaking of shitty Emma Watson movies.........

emma-watson-colonia.jpg (810×540)

Colonia

Similar to Regression in that its completely forgettable and everyone is wasted in it.  The plot is that Emma Watson and Daniel Brühl are a German couple in Chile whose lives are interrupted one day when he gets himself abducted for speaking out against a General performing a military coup, and she goes undercover in a cult to rescue him.  The cult ends up being a front for the guy doing the coup to run weapons, etc, blah blah blah.  I didn't care about any of the characters, whether or not they would find each other, whether or not they would escape alive if they did, etc.  In addition to the leads, Michael Nyqvist is also wasted as the leader of the cult.

Total waste of time!

I saw the first Michael Bay Transformers in the theater and it was so bad, it was the only film I wanted to walk out of in a decade or more.  I therefore never bothered to watch a second of any of the sequels