What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Beyond The Candelabra

primary_BehindtheCandelabra-2013-3.jpg

:blink: Holy! This is a TV movie?! And directed by Steven Soderbergh?! What?! The movie was great! And it's by far Michael Douglas' best performance ever. Perhaps the same goes for Matt Damon, but it's Douglas as Liberace who impresses the most. As I was watching, I kept on asking myself "Who made this?" I am now a Steven Soderbergh fan. You got to see Rob Lowe in this ... Okay, here he is:

o-BEHIND-CANDELABRA-ROB-LOWE-facebook.jp

9/10

Alex

It's a TV movie because Soderbergh couldn't sell it to film studios. If I recall correctly, one of the execs told him it was too gay. 

If Sidney Lumet was still alive and younger he would now work for HBO, Steef.

"An old alcoholic lawyer that plays pinball in his favorite pub? Sounds more like TV to me, Sid. Do you perhaps have any action stories for us? How about Death Race 4? I could give you that! Easy money, Sid"

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Has the potential of a Christmas classic. Engrossing characters, simple, easy to understand good versus evil plot. Funny, at times heart warming and at other times sad without ever been a downer. Quite clunky in places but the good bits are strong enough the compensate.

Watched Star Wars (1977) today after hearing of Carrie Fishers death. I'm always surprised what a quick and dirty film it actually is. Creating a universe, but unburdened by the weight of that universe. The story of the Jedi, nothing but distant memories forgotten by most. The mechanics and history of the Empire or the Rebel Alliance and only delved into in the most broadest way. It has an naivety and innocence that must have been very appealing in the cynical post-Vietnam/post-Nixon 70's. 

Remove all the sequels, prequels, sidequels etc and it would stand perfectly on it's own as a wonderful Sci-fi/Fantasy/Adventure film.

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Am I the only one who isn't wowed by this? It doesn't come together in a dramatically satisfying way, despite the best efforts of Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. There are several outstanding individual scenes that Luhrmann should've built upon, rather than throw everything but the kitchen sink in. Some of the music mash-ups work despite the anachronisms, but some don't make sense at all.

Luhrmann's films just don't work for me. He doesn't know how to hold back and just focus on storytelling.

Batman: The Killing Joke

If someone had told me beforehand this was a cartoon with a naked Commissioner Gordon being yanked around a circus on a leash by midgets, I would have just watched the Tim Burton movies instead. This was horrible. Absolutely tasteless, soulless and Batman was horribly voiced. Also, the Joker's backstory was atrocious. Jack Napier is clearly superior. I caught the nod to the '89 movie. It just made me want to watch that. Boy, did we need Prince.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Watched Star Wars (1977) today after hearing of Carrie Fishers death. I'm always surprised what a quick and dirty film it actually is. Creating a universe, but unburdened by the weight of that universe. The story of the Jedi, nothing but distant memories forgotten by most. The mechanics and history of the Empire or the Rebel Alliance and only delved into in the most broadest way. It has an naivety and innocence that must have been very appealing in the cynical post-Vietnam/post-Nixon 70's. 

Remove all the sequels, prequels, sidequels etc and it would stand perfectly on it's own as a wonderful Sci-fi/Fantasy/Adventure film.

Sorry Fisher's untimely death forced you to bring forward your monthly viewing of the movie. 

17 hours ago, Matt C said:

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Am I the only one who isn't wowed by this? It doesn't come together in a dramatically satisfying way, despite the best efforts of Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. There are several outstanding individual scenes that Luhrmann should've built upon, rather than throw everything but the kitchen sink in. Some of the music mash-ups work despite the anachronisms, but some don't make sense at all.

Luhrmann's films just don't work for me. He doesn't know how to hold back and just focus on storytelling.

Agreed. AUSTRALIA is vile, and patronizing. MOULIN ROUGE, however, does have Jim Broadbent, and he's fabulous!

I watched THE AGE OF INNOCENCE, for the first time, recently. I get the feeling that I was in the presence of greatness, but I'm not exactly sure why.

I'd value more learned JWfaners thoughts on this film.

E.T.

Loved ET, didn't like Elliot. I also thought lots of scenes had awkward transitions.

Three questions:

- Why did the doctors/government/police/etc know where ET was? What were they tracking all the time?

- Did I misunderstand this, or do aliens invade the house only to leave ET lying in that bath?

- Why on Earth does Elliot become sick as well? Makes no sense.

The main theme is of course brilliant, but there's another motif that reallly resembles the Imperial March an awful lot. One does not simply plagiarise like that! I also don't like how JW tackles emotional scenes. Apart from the flying theme, the entire finale didn't move me at all, just like the music when Elliot talks to the 'dead' ET, and it's not the first time JW fails me when it comes to emotional music. He's great at majesty, but when it comes to feelings, his music just never works for me.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Three questions:

- Why did the doctors/government/police/etc know where ET was? What were they tracking all the time?

- Did I misunderstand this, or do aliens invade the house only to leave ET lying in that bath?

- Why on Earth does Elliot become sick as well? Makes no sense.

- They were able to track his movements based on the breadcrumbs (Skittles) Elliott left for him, and Elliott and Michael's suspicious behaviour in the neighbourhood.

- Beside ET, no other aliens were in the house. He was sick because he wandered off and fell near a river... as far as I can recall. This leads back to Point 1 - when Michael throws a sheet over ET, he's caught by a helicopter, which you only hear. They obviously followed him when he took ET home.

- ET had telekinetic powers, so it's no stretch that he psychically imprinted on Elliott, which was established when Elliott got drunk at school when ET was drinking at home.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I haven't been out for New Year's Eve celebrations since 1999.

Colour me intrigued what goes in in the Quintus villa at NYE. Kinky orgies? Ritual slaughters? Drug and booze-hazed bacchanals?

I bet he's getting a new jacket from Wested Leather. They make top quality jackets there, but you need to be really exact in your measurements, or else you might cop a new coat with sleeves that are too long and it costs a fair bit to send it back to have it altered.

19 minutes ago, publicist said:

Colour me intrigued what goes in in the Quintus villa at NYE. Kinky orgies? Ritual slaughters? Drug and booze-hazed bacchanals?

More likely a glass of pimms, a lovely evening watching the old Morcombe and Wise New Year Special and an early night.

Regression

MV5BMTkwOTg0NTEzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTUw

Well, that's not entirely true. I start watching it but couldn't believe how bad it was. I mean really turkey bad. And so I gave up after only 10 minutes. With The Others, I though director/composer  Alejandro Amenabar was going to be a force to be reckoned with. I guess I was wrong ... Or somebody else secretly made The Others ... (Twilight Zone cue)

Hehe, Marcy and I watched that film recently too, so I'll hop on now

regression4-xlarge.jpg (1280×721)

Regression

Alex is right, this is terrible.  It had promise because it was directed by Amenabar, starred Watson, Hawke, and Thewlis, production values were high enough, etc.  But the story is stupid and completely predictable

We both said early on that Emma Watson was making the whole thing up

I just looked it up, and it turns out we watched this one back in May.  In the 7 months since then, I've basically forgotten everything about it because it leaves no impression whatsoever.  I had to look it up on Wikipedia to even remember the plot details.

No reason to see this one at all.

I liked Amenabar's Agora, though it was a bit too wieldy and pedantic. Shame to see such a promising director fall to the wayside.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Many have fallen like that: Scott, Lucas, Jackson, Spielberg, Villeneuve...

Villeneuve is the saviour of film!

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

A bit off-topic but wasn't the director trying to get Williams to score it?   

That could have been interesting! But I'm not one to complain, since we got Marianelli's fantastic score.

Sat and watched Jurassic Park with four kids today, aged between 4 and 7. They got a bit bored here and there, but overall they were thrilled with it. I was too actually, it's been quite some time. In fact I thought it was awesome! 

The cast are brilliant, and so is the script! Always the most popular element to slag off on forums, I think it's sharp, constantly observational before 'meta' became a thing and packed with incidental lines which pad out what might have otherwise been rather dull moralising dialogues (the debate in the darkened room where each of the main characters are given their moment to share their reservations is legitimately excellent in this summer blockbuster), Jeff Goldblum in particular dominates in a role which even feels a bit iconic twenty five years later. Movie felt like a little discovery again 👍

David Koepp you prick, what happened?

The film is actually a near perfect blockbuster. Perhaps not as inspired as Star Wars or Raiders, but it gets almost everything just right.

This was the early 90's you see, when the huge expensive blockbuster films were still being directed by people like Spielberg, Cameron, McTiernan etc. Directors who knew the language of their genres, and even with big films like this, with massive financial risks were able to instill their creativity and technical skill into them.

Gareth Edwards, The Russo Brothers, Colin Trevorrow, James Gunn etc can't compare.

Who are these people anyway?

And yes, Jurassic Park is surprisingly self-aware without it being cloying.

Oz the Great and Powerful 

Clinging on to an IP that's not as strong as the movie thinks it is, Oz may be loud and colorful, but its leads show little charm or charisma and the movie falls flat. It's just another Hero's Journey with a bloated battle finale. From what I gathered, anyway. I fell asleep halfway through. :sleepy: