What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Richard, Lynch himself has said that he wasn't the right man for Dune and that it was too big a production for him. Unlike his smaller films, Lynch couldn't oversee every aspect.  And yes, then there's Dino, who also can be a pain in the a$$.

Dino could be a pain in the a$$, but Lynch dealt mostly with Rafaella. 

I still maintain that, thanks to some superlative technicians around him (Ringwood, Francis, Splet, Masters, Gibbs) and an outstanding cast, Lynch did a bang-up job!

Someday I will watch An American Tail without tears streaming down my face when Fievel's family realizes he's alive, and then are reunited with him. Today was not that day. Funny thing is how close he is to them most of the movie.

Dune, but only the first half

The first and probably last time I ever use a Laserdisc player. I only watched the first half because the media center in the library closed, but I've already seen Dune so whatever. I really love the aesthetic in this movie. I think it fits very well (unlike the SciFi mini series). The soundtrack is good even though the whole thing is pretty much the same four notes.

The Andromeda Strain

It was alright, but I hate biology so the film kinda irked me.

Went and finished Dune.

The second half is far worse than the first half. The pacing becomes way too quick. The stuff that made the book what it was is all cut out like the omnipresence of the Bene Gesserit and the fact that nothing was actually supernatural. It's still pretty decent by itself, but it could be so much better.

The sequel is brilliant in its campiness though. With wonderfully rubbish CGI.

And Kurt Russel somehow always manages to look cool and badass.

Genuine article, that one.

Though it lacks Adrienne Barbeau and her impressive cleavage. The best homage to 60's exploitation film making possible!

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That's it. That's the plot. There's barely any explanation as to why the machines suddenly start malfunctioning (well, there's some sort of vague explanation, but not much). In itself, that's not a huge problem, but I do wish we had been given more info about the park, the machines... As it is, it feels like you're given the bare minimum in terms of presentation of the universe.

Perhaps Crichton also found it underdeveloped and that's why he later rewrote it with dinosaurs.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I haven't seen it since my teens, but it was always one of those movies you'd catch on tv late at night, and end up watching it all. 

Yep, very engrossing 70's sci-fi.

Alvar, arent you selling the movie short by comparing it too closely to the TV show?

Nowadays we live in an age where everything is explained ad nauseum.

I call it Nolan's disease. That wasnt so much the case back then. Did Kubrick explain why HAL started to malfuntion?

Home Alone.

Finally managed to watch this one after five years of peer pressure and it was well worth the wait. Fun movie, if a little sentimental sometimes.

And what a lovely score! I must say that, after listening to Zimmer's Batman trilogy, this score was THE perfect 'antidote'. Finally an orchestra that was actually DOING something! The 'Somewhere in my Memory' orchestral versions made me shiver all over. Absolutely stunning. I'm officially in Christmas mode now.

Beyond The Candelabra

primary_BehindtheCandelabra-2013-3.jpg

:blink: Holy! This is a TV movie?! And directed by Steven Soderbergh?! What?! The movie was great! And it's by far Michael Douglas' best performance ever. Perhaps the same goes for Matt Damon, but it's Douglas as Liberace who impresses the most. As I was watching, I kept on asking myself "Who made this?" I am now a Steven Soderbergh fan. You got to see Rob Lowe in this ... Okay, here he is:

o-BEHIND-CANDELABRA-ROB-LOWE-facebook.jp

9/10

Alex

UL6qg4U.jpg

The wife and I fancied something light and amusing, so off to Netflix we went. Brute forced myself through forty minutes worth of one of the worst movies I've ever seen before finally tapping out. 

Yeah ... anything that manages to make Chris Rock unfunny has gotta be shite. 

Die Hard 2 and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, part of my traditional Christmas viewing ... love them both. 

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Thank you for that, I was just about to investigate the album situation. How come they did a better release five years after their original product?

Read this to learn why! :

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8269

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Beyond The Candelabra

Behind. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I like Rock, though more as a comedian than an actor. The rest of them are just awful.

He'll never have a worse role than he had in Grown Ups. It's anti funny.