What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Homophobic!

Who's homophobic? I'm homophobic?

I made no reference to Mr. Spacey's sexual orientation.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

More like Mick Taylor!

1400168705000-wolf.JPG

Aye, but can he still play IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Lee, what makes Kevin Spacey "creepy"?

I've always thought there was something a bit sleazy about the guy, long before the shit hit the fan in his life. They're just allegations anyway at the moment, unproven. 

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

He never acted like Julian Clary, so I was completely oblivious.

I like Clary.

Guilty at 17.

I didn't want to watch this at first, but there was nothing else on. Where to start? First, the movie is way too short to tell its story. That also means any plot summary gives half of it away. Second, that story is just stupid. At first, I thought it was rather contemporary, for want of a better word, but then it unfolded and I suppose the biggest problem was that every single character does one absurd thing after another. Really, if you want to research how characters in movies should not behave, watch this one. They reacted inappropriately, acted inappropriately and even had conversations that you either just don't have in real life or that you just conduct totally differently. And the way those teenagers spoke, urgh. American English at its worst.

The score wasn't bad at all. Well, it wasn't great either, but hey, it wasn't in D minor, so I should be on top of the world. Underscoring emotional scenes with rock music doesn't really work for me, only the very last song did.

It's about the difficulties of being a lesbian in the Fifties. Cate Blanchett is Carol. The other one shows her titties (that's what you really wanted to know, right?).

3 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

What? Which one?

Old one, which I rewatched last night. The newer one I referred to as Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, so as to distinguish it from the original, though it can get confusing. Maybe I should have just put 1995 at the end, instead.

The Truman Show.

I was afraid I wouldn't like this one, because, yet again, the plot summary revealed way too much. The first half wasn't really exciting, but then it became much better. My only remark now is that I simply don't buy the fact that Truman never ever realised the whole thing was a set-up before. Very original concept that raises a lot of interesting questions.

It's been a long time since I've heard such a bad score. Granted, there were a few moving dramatic cues, but the bulk of the work sounded like it was composed by an eight-year-old trying to become a composer. The action material is just stupid and the final cues are sheer disaster, not to mention the music when his dad 'dies'. All the source music, however, was nice enough.

I remember seeing that in the theater, but I don't think I've seen it soup to nuts since. 

It's best to not overanalyze such an abstract plot like that. It's like thinking about what Bruce Willis does in The Sixth Sense in between scenes. It doesn't work. It doesn't need to. 

Serenity is not like trying to understand differential equations or semiconductor device theory. If you don't understand those topics, it's forgivable because they are complicated fields of science. But if you don't understand the plot of a simple science fiction movie, well, then you're just stupid. 

Some movies like Serenity are too damn plotty for their own good. The bad guy is bad but he's really good because there are these other bad guys who are even badder, plus these other bad guys who are nasty too, meanwhile the special girl is captured at the beginning and rescued but she seemed to be safe and well at the end of the series, and a bunch of other crap thrown in. Whatever, it was just hard to follow.

I saw the movie once four years ago. I don't need to see it again for twice that. It's not worth thinking about much beyond that. You, on the other hand, are obsessed with what you'll never understand because you don't want to. 

People are afraid to admit they didn't understand something because they're scared other people will think they're stupid, so they just play along and pretend they understood it.

And I didn't bring it up this time. KS did.

Cabaret

It was alright. Liza looks kinda weird but oddly bonkable, but she seems to like dating fairies like Michael York too. Some bits in this flick are kinda gross like some of the dance numbers - 70s raw grit I suppose.