What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

36 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Out of Africa

Long, and sometimes drawn out, but probably fitting for the desolation of the location. It's got that civilised-urban-girl-meets-man-of-the-wilderness vibe to it like 'Crocodile' Dundee or Medicine Man. Best bit is when Meryl Streep fights a lion. Feels like something David Lean might have made.

"Meryl Streep fights a lion" :lol:

Sorry, Jerry, but I don't remember seeing that in the film.

15 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Lovely score! I've had it on CD for nearly 30 years (It's one my parents bought and I just took it and added it to my own collection), but I hadn't seen the film until today.

So...you steal from your mater and pater. The 5th and 8th Commandments mean anything to you?

Hmm. So that's how it is, in their family.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Meryl Streep fights a lion" :lol:

Sorry, Jerry, but I don't remember seeing that in the film.

Yeah it was the bit where she was transporting her cattle and her camp was attacked by a family of lions and she fought one of them off while it was munching on a cow.

And the lion roar sound effects were identical to the Key Master and Gatekeeper roars in Ghostbusters.

Ouija

Fucking awful. Was about to switch it off except I liked the main girl, who was also the oxygen tank chick from Bates Motel.

Just now, Denise Bryson said:

Ouija

Fucking awful. Was about to switch it off except I liked the main girl, who was also the oxygen tank chick from Bates Motel.

Selina will know what he'll watch tonight!

Larry Crowne.

Not great, but certainly not bad either. Yes, it was corny at times, but when Julia Roberts and especially Tom Hanks are the main actors, I really can't care too much about that. Even though Hanks trying to act cool was rather irritating, he remains one of my favourite actors because he's just so versatile. He delivers every line perfectly. George Takei made me laugh several times and Julia Roberts 'under the influence of the demon rum' was quite entertaining too.

I really, really liked most of the songs and the score perfectly suited them as well, though it took an awful long time before I heard any of James Newton Howard's music.

Today was a remembrance holocaust day for many nations so I watched Schindler's List.

It doesn't fail to move me every time.

Every man owes to himself to see it at least once.

And the score... I've come to the personal conclusion that it's the best dramatic score ever written!

Hope we have an official release of the complete score this year, on it's quarter of a century anniversary!

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Today was a remembrance holocaust day for many nations so I watched Schindler's List.

It doesn't fail to move me every time.

Every man owes to himself to see it at least once.

And the score... I've come to the personal conclusion that it's the best dramatic score ever written!

Hope we have an official release of the complete score this year, on it's quarter of a century anniversary!

I wish I could delete the "I could have done more" scene though. It's the thorn in the side of an otherwise good Holocaust movie.

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I wish I could delete the "I could have done more" scene though. It's the thorn in the side of an otherwise good Holocaust movie.

huh? It's in that scene that I cry my eyes out!

I guess you think it's too manipulative of emotions, right?

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

I didn't know anyone had a problem with the scene until I got on JWFan.

Slight correction. Although don't forget, Alex has issues with emotional stuff, so he always hits out when he feels he's being manipulated by a movie in that way. 

The scene in question is fine, mainly because it was earned at that point. Its a great film, although I rate it fairly low down the list in the overall Spielberg oeuvre. He's made many other movies which I get far more out of. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Slight correction. Although don't forget, Alex has issues with emotional stuff, so he always hits out when he feels he's being manipulated by a movie in that way. 

The scene in question is fine, mainly because it was earned at that point. Its a great film, although I rate it fairly low down the list in the overall Spielberg works. He's made many other movies which I get far more out of. 

I see that trailer with the Exodus music by Kilar and I wish the movie was more like that.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

In one of Spielberg's biographies, "I could have done more" is meant to be symbolic of all those who wanted to help, but couldn't.

According to his (then) wife, he thanked everyone politely, got in the car, and drove off, but that wouldn't make for good cinema.

You don't need to overstate emotions in order to make good cinema, Richard. To me, it was so over-the-top and melodramatic that the scene lost all its strength. Sometimes less is a lot more.

Then again, it's not the end of the world. To this day, my bafflement of the idyllic Hamptons final scene of Minority Report not ending with a countershot of Tom Cruise dreaming in his cold modern flat remains unsurpassed. It was all laid out for that.

Why wouldn't it be a real ending for some people?

Kull: Skong Island

Much more stylised and entertaining than Godzilla '14. Hopefully the rest in the series are more like this and build on its strengths. And faaarrrk that Brie Larson is sexy in this. I like her in that green Captain Marvel outfit too.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Then again, it's not the end of the world. To this day, my bafflement of the idyllic Hamptons final scene of Minority Report not ending with a countershot of Tom Cruise dreaming in his cold modern flat remains unsurpassed. It was all laid out for that.

That would be too much of a cliche.

51 minutes ago, publicist said:

No. Just Philip K. Dick's story.

But still, in the time between the publication of Dick's short story and Spielberg's adaptation the dream ending had probably become even more of a cliche than in already was. Sometimes changes have to be made to keep stories interesting.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But still, in the time between the publication of Dick's short story and Spielberg's adaptation the dream ending had probably become even more of a cliche than in already was. Sometimes changes have to be made to keep stories interesting.

True, but then Spielberg should have changed the way the Martians died in WOTW.