What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I saw this for the first time the other day as well. Ending definitely wasn’t happy. There’s actually very little joy in this film, but I thoroughly enjoyed the technical aspects. Cinematography, production design, art direction, and score were all fantastic. 

Totally agree with you, Koray!  It's one of my favorite films to watch in recent years.  I find Todd Haynes' directing style mesmerizing, as soon as the film starts I just want to soak it all in.  The story is nothing special, really, but the story almost doesn't matter in a film like this.

And yea, I don't think it has a truly happy ending either.  The film puts Carol in a spot where she has to choose between true love and being allowed to see her daughter , and she chooses her daughter.  When she admits to the people in the divorce proceedings she's gay and won't deny it and gives her ex husband full custody of the daughter, it isn't clear if she'll be allowed visitation or not; and while Therese does leave the party at the end of the film where she could potentially begin a relationship with Carrie from Portlandia to instead seek out Carol in the Oak Room, the film ends before we know if their relationship will actually work or if the daughter will be a part of their lives - or even what other problems they will face as lesbians in the 1950s.  It's more ambiguous then happy, but sure, its happier than if it ending with Therese at the party before making her decision.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Except for the ending. 

"It ends with possibility, which is all any love affair can begin with: possibility." - Cate Blanchett

Hope this helps

I see what you're saying, and I know what you mean, but I don't think the ending betrays the rest of the film.

Jodorowsky's Dune

Interesting documentary about the attempt in the 1970's to made an adaptation of Dune by Chilean film maker Alejandro Jodorowsky.

The film actually never got beyond it's pre-production stage, but featured artists like Giger, Moebius, Dali, Dan O'Bannon (who later worked with Giger on Alien), Orson Welles, Pink Floyd etc.

Interesting as a "what if?" It's the kind of project that could not have worked today. All these very different artists put together on a single project by a director who's main concern seems to be to let them have as much creative freedom as possible while adapting Frank Herbert's Dune.

Of course this is the sort of project that wouldnt even have worked in the 70's, because it didnt. No actual footage was shot, no studio actually put money into this. 

The main value of the abandoned Dune project is how it influenced the style and careers of these artists. Though the film overreaches itself tremendously when it suggests that Hollywood may have been a different industry if it had been Dune rather than Lucas' Star Wars that would have been made. 

I just don't think the ending the film has in un-earned, or not in line with everything else before it.  I think the whole movie works.

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jodorowsky's Dune

... but featured artists like Giger, Moebius, Dali, Dan O'Bannon (who later worked with Giger on Aliens), ...

H.R. Giger, Moebius and Dan O'Bannon worked on Alien.

Alien: Resurrection (Special Edition)

Unnecessary, extremely dumb, ugly, and thoroughly unpleasant. The good things I can say about it is its insistence on physical Aliens in an era where doing everything with not yet fully matured and mostly buttugly CGI started to be the cool thing, and some neat ideas.

This is also the first movie where all the way through I was rooting for the aliens to kill all these idiots. Aliens had the two guys who left the damn landing craft open, those absolutely deserved to die, and Golic was crazy and actively looking for trouble, but that was about it so far.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Unnecessary, extremely dumb, ugly, and thoroughly unpleasant. The one good things I can say about it is its insistence on physical Aliens in an era where doing everything with not yet fully matured and mostly buttugly CGI started to be the cool thing, and some neat ideas.

I think I prefer it to the theatrical version. It feels a tad more like Whedon.

Not a great film by any means, but actually quite fun. Same for the first AvP.

Haven't seen the theatrical, and after this, I'm not really planning to. The extras will probably be more interesting than the movie, though.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Unnecessary, extremely dumb, ugly, and thoroughly unpleasant. The good things I can say about it is its insistence on physical Aliens in an era where doing everything with not yet fully matured and mostly buttugly CGI started to be the cool thing, and some neat ideas.

This is also the first movie where all the way through I was rooting for the aliens to kill all these idiots. Aliens had the two guys who left the damn landing craft open, those absolutely deserved to die, and Golic was crazy and actively looking for trouble, but that was about it so far.

It looks nice, courtesy of Darius Khondji, and a lot of ENR.

That baseball shot was not altered, in any way.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Unnecessary, extremely dumb, ugly, and thoroughly unpleasant.

That sounds like Alien 3!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not a great film by any means, but actually quite fun. Same for the first AvP.

Agreed.

I thought the colours were repulsive and the camerawork was horribly obnoxious. It's just not my style - Fifth Element came to mind, I couldn't get past the 15 minute mark with that. What was it with 1997 and french directors?

Trust me, I hated it too at the time. A 'caricature' style is not what you expect when watching an Alien movie but once you accept it (and look at it in that way) the movie becomes rather entertaining.

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Trust me, I hated it too at the time. A 'caricature' style is not what you expect when watching an Alien movie but once you accept it (and look at it in that way) the movie becomes rather entertaining.

It's probably better than any "Alien" movie that has come after.

Lords of Dogtown

I like this one for some reason. I think it's Heath Ledger as an aging surf shop guy. It may be the best role I've ever seen him play. It's a tough thing to take that kind of surfer guy character and make him sympathetic because he's a fucking beach bum, man. But he steals every scene he's in and gives it heart. He even does The Joker in one scene. The skating scenes are well shot/directed and the rest of the cast are all good. A non-Ledger highlight is the Leo/River Phoenix-looking kid dancing to win a girl's affection.

Prometheus

Well that was fucking stupid.

Some heavily fanservice moments were kinda cool and the lights were nice and flashy but that's about it.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why did you skip two movies?

Because I haven't seen Predator yet, probably coming up next week (I won't bother with the sequels of that one for now). From what I heard about the two AvPs, especially the second one, I haven't missed much.

Prometheus makes no sense unless you know about Peter Weyland's ancestor, Charles Bishop Weyland and his encounter with the Predators, and Yutani's procurement of Predator technology... technology that's not for our world.

What? I thought AvP was supposed to be non-canon... Why couldn't I just stop at the first 3? Please don't tell me Alien: Covenant is only watchable if I've read the 900 comics and 3 specific book series, I'll try to bear through that tonight.

This is the closest to an official statement I could find about it in 2 minutes:

"[Ridley Scott] wanted to use Weyland as a conduit in the story, and was not interested at all when I said to him, “You know, Weyland was a character in one of the Alien Vs. Predator movies,” he just sort of looked at me like I had just slapped him in the face. That was the beginning, middle and end of all Alien Vs. Predator references in our story process." 

I know Scott has never been the center and creator of the universe, but according to this, when doing Prometheus, he didn't give a shit about Charles Bishop Weyland and the predators, much less base it on their encounter.

Across the Pacific

Okay but not great Bogie flick. However I'm sure if a crazy millennial watched it, they'd go catatonic at its wartime anti-Japaneseness and Bogie romancing a woman, which these days is highly frowned upon. Seeing Bogie fire a mounted machine gun makes it all worth it.

Question Drax, why is it that every single thing you seem to post about here is about politics in some way?

Just tell us what YOU thought of a movie, not what YOU think someone else will think of it based on their politics.

Annie.

Oh, BOY! Oh, my GOODNESS! I have to REVIEW THIS MOVIE! I'm NEVER gonna be able to DO that! Oh wait, it'll be over more quickly if I start writing now.

I only really liked Mr Warbucks, but there was something rather unreal about it all and I still have a huge problem with people breaking into song without any reason. How does an alcoholic become the leader of an orphanage? Or which president just meets a 10-year-old girl like that? Oh look, now she's singing to the president, aww. (Can't help wondering what Trump would do now.) I also only started to like (for want of a better word) Annie after 40 minutes. What's so special about her anyway? The only special thing I've found about her was that she consistently changed 'you' into 'ya'. The pacing was rather off too. And if you really want to help someone find their parents, why do it with a reward? Anyone knows that will attract frauds, a businessman certainly would.

The songs weren't bad and I like the chord progressions in most musicals, but the singers weren't great (Ann Reinking). The underscore was too optimistic and dramatic. The overall package sounded way too shrill as well, as if they overdid the mastering.

And since when do we not translate lyrics in subtitles anymore?

Out of Africa

Long, and sometimes drawn out, but probably fitting for the desolation of the location. It's got that civilised-urban-girl-meets-man-of-the-wilderness vibe to it like 'Crocodile' Dundee or Medicine Man. Best bit is when Meryl Streep fights a lion. Feels like something David Lean might have made.