What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

March of the Penguins (2005) (original French version with first-person narration and alternate soundtrack)

I usually don't watch documentaries but I loved this and i was moved at times!

The only drawback I found was the music.

Especially the songs, I found them too distracting and I rarely say that for a music score.

I jsut saw some extracts of the american version and there the music is and works better, BUT i see there's more narration (by Morgan Freeman) that doesn't leave more scenes silent that I loved in the original one.

So, the ideal for me would be the american score with the french narration! :P

Morgan

Wonder if this is set in the same universe as Blade Runner? The "company" has created human/bionic hybrids and is testing their resilience - could be a Tyrell rival? Movie's not bad, but most of the characters are really, really dumb.

Alien - Second viewing, Director's cut this time.

I definitely prefer the theatrical, but it still comes across that this is a goddamn masterpiece. What I noticed this time is how surprisingly not dated it is compared to many other popular greats from that rough era - Close Encounters is 100% 70's, but it's meant to be, Star Wars has those funky hairdos and sometimes cheap-looking sets, E.T. is pretty early 80s (which is in right now, so it holds up surprisingly well), whereas Alien has this universal and realistic look. The only two things that date it slightly are the computer terminals (keyboards, screens and fonts) and those godawful Nostromo explosions at the end.

Aliens - Second viewing, Special Edition this time.

The added scenes, with the exception of Ripley's daughter, some crew banter and the additional Newt dialogue, didn't do much for me, but overall it's probably a bit better than the theatrical. The score's started to grow on me, this time I kinda liked it, next time I'll probably love it! So you can put your pitchforks away now.

Now onto the dark territories... Theatrical 3 and 4, then (if I'm strong enough) Prometheus and Covenant... maybe even the alternate editions of 3 and 4 next week if I really want to get suicidal the week before uni continues.

Someone will mention Paul Reiser's hair shortly. It's as if they believe some movies do not become dated (Psst, they all do). 

I prefer the theatrical cut too, it's far superior IMO. 

Edit - just noticed I completely read you wrong somehow. Nm. 

14 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

That's a shame. I like her tits but they covered her up too much in those movies.

#showyertitsgirl

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Morgan

Wonder if this is set in the same universe as Blade Runner? The "company" has created human/bionic hybrids and is testing their resilience - could be a Tyrell rival? Movie's not bad, but most of the characters are really, really dumb.

Oh. Jerry, I thought you meant the superb psychological comedy/drama MORGAN: A SUITABLE CASE FOR TREATMENT.

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

The score's started to grow on me, this time I kinda liked it, next time I'll probably love it! So you can put your pitchforks away now.

Since you are still only 20 years of age, we won't feed you to the wolves...yet  ;)

47 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Someone will mention Paul Reiser's hair shortly.

What about Paul Reiser's hair? It's ok, in a mid-80s, semi-perm, businessman's kind of way. I love the turned-up collars.

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Alien - Second viewing, Director's cut this time.

I definitely prefer the theatrical, but it still comes across that this is a goddamn masterpiece. What I noticed this time is how surprisingly not dated it is compared to many other popular greats from that rough era - Close Encounters is 100% 70's, but it's meant to be, Star Wars has those funky hairdos and sometimes cheap-looking sets, E.T. is pretty early 80s (which is in right now, so it holds up surprisingly well), whereas Alien has this universal and realistic look. The only two things that date it slightly are the computer terminals (keyboards, screens and fonts) and those godawful Nostromo explosions at the end.

Aliens - Second viewing, Special Edition this time.

The added scenes, with the exception of Ripley's daughter, some crew banter and the additional Newt dialogue, didn't do much for me, but overall it's probably a bit better than the theatrical. The score's started to grow on me, this time I kinda liked it, next time I'll probably love it! So you can put your pitchforks away now.

Now onto the dark territories... Theatrical 3 and 4, then (if I'm strong enough) Prometheus and Covenant... maybe even the alternate editions of 3 and 4 next week if I really want to get suicidal the week before uni continues.

Do alternate 3 and 4. They're both better films.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Since you are still only 16 years of age, we won't feed you to the wolves...yet  ;)

You must've mistaken me for some of the other younglings, I'll turn 21 in little more than a month. :) Although (based on the consensus of my "friends") I look 14, and sometimes I feel and act like 16, so you're not that horribly off. The mental age test in that old thread that was reshared recently says I'm 57, though.

Star Trek Insurrection

It had a decent execution of the main ideas, but there were too many parts that didn't make sense. Why were Riker and Troi being all lovey dovey? The humor was a bit... off at parts. It was alright though.

VMDE2FD.jpg

Another good question about Insurrection is whether the official line is to be believed (the blue interior here was a design choice) or is the rumour (that unfinished bluescreen effects shots somehow made it into the finished movie) true? 

Green screen was more in at that time, so who knows. That looks like a waste of blue screen for what would have been presumably simple space effects they'd been doing for decades with simple tricks. It's telling that the effects guys duplicated the "blue screen" as though it was a deliberate creative decision.

The real question is, did George Lucas rip off the design of that ship for the thing Count Dooku flies in Attack of the Clones?

Havent seen the film in a few years, but I don't recall the Collector having essentially a completely open structure. I would apply a grain of salt at least to this story.

Blue screen was more popular than green screen in the 90's though. TNG and DS9 (which was still going at the time) used blue-screen IIRC.

3 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

The real question is, did George Lucas rip off the design of that ship for the thing Count Dooku flies in Attack of the Clones?

Could be, though of course the general design was seen in DS9 before it was used in Insurrection. 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Carol? Happy ending?  It's more ambiguous then outright happy, I'd say.

I saw this for the first time the other day as well. Ending definitely wasn’t happy. There’s actually very little joy in this film, but I thoroughly enjoyed the technical aspects. Cinematography, production design, art direction, and score were all fantastic. 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Carol? Happy ending?  It's more ambiguous then outright happy, I'd say.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Ending definitely wasn’t happy. There’s actually very little joy in this film, 

Except for the ending. 

"It ends with possibility, which is all any love affair can begin with: possibility." - Cate Blanchett

Hope this helps

Alex

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I'm not sure I really understood what the hell was going on. There was so much happening all at once, it was making me nauseous. Just a load of jokes, sight gags and mind-numbing action and escape scenes. Not to mention a wafer thin story - I'm not sure there is one. It's like it was designed from scratch to exist soley as a meme and gif generator. This might be the worst Marvel movie I've ever seen, and I still haven't seen Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok.

18 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

VMDE2FD.jpg

Another good question about Insurrection is whether the official line is to be believed (the blue interior here was a design choice) or is the rumour (that unfinished bluescreen effects shots somehow made it into the finished movie) true? 

I would assume that, if it was a design choice, then the blue of the collector would be seen in exterior shots?

That's assuming you can see the inside from the outside. I think it's just supposed to be the walls and they went with a color that looks like blue screen. I mean, as long as the effects guys were duplicating the blue, they could have easily replaced it with the chroma key process.

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

This might be the worst Marvel movie I've ever seen,

If you want to see the worst Marvel movie, check out Doctor Strange.

Okay ... The Incredible Hulk might be even worse ...

The problem with GOTG Vol.2 is that it tried too hard. A lot of it felt forced. James Gunn couldn't handle the pressure.

Alien 3 - Assembly cut

That wasn't half bad, I dare say I enjoyed it for what it was. Not exactly on par with the previous two, but still good. I'll be curious to find out what the theatrical cut was, and how bad could it be.the real interesting story is how the hell this happened. Did Fox forget Alien and Aliens were helmed by 3 relative newcomers of heavy character(Dan O'Bannon, Ridley Scott and James Cameron), the latter two being largely in creative control - and they were both immense successes? Why did they have to rush this through 20 script iterations, multiple directors, money already wasted on sets, and also take control away from another relative newcomer Fincher? Idiots. Picking up and finishing from the "ideal" ending of Aliens couldn't have been an easy task, it wasn't really correctly done here, but I'm sure with enough time and a young visionary attached, it still could've been great.