Is the "Sleepers" soundtrack worth buying?

Unlucky Bastard

Hey there.

A few days ago, I saw the Sleepers soundtrack at a nearby CD outlet, however it's AUS$29.95 and seems to be quite rare (it isn't even in the list of CDs available at the side of the page on this website).

Would any of you recommend it or would I be wasting my cash?

:?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to buy everything and find something to enjoy and appreciate with all of his scores. Its hard to know whether to recommend it because I don't know your level of interest in JW.

Sleepers is definitely not in the mode of his more famous scores with a big sound and catchy themes. The music has a tense, creepy feel through much of the score. Highlights are a brief Catholic style choir song in track 4 and also the music for the football game, where he incorporates contemporary drums giving the piece a fast-paced, dare-I-say, "hip", feel. And the finale is wonderful. He breaks the dominant mood of emotional ambiguity with an inspirational but bittersweet finale (best rendition at the end of the end titles -track 2). It works brilliantly in the film and is a great part of the album.

I don't know, you could always rent the movie (its very good in my view) and then see if the music seems worth the price to you.

-Adam

This score stands out for me

It's not one of my favourite Williams scores either,nevertheless,as said,there are some good tracks,notably The Football Game and Finale.Lots of tracks have a very contaporary (and ominous) sounding drumbeat,and synth i think.I guess If you like Williams a lot and don't mind experimenting,get it.

K.M.Reminding himself he hasen't listened to the album since around the time he got it.

I don't listen to Sleepers much either. With a huge exaggeration put into words, I'd say it's like Williams' score gone a pop way save the final cue. Having known what I know today, I wouldn't have put that much effort (and money) into getting it back then, at least not had I been at the beginning of building Williams collection again.

In the best possible way, it's a rare score by John Williams.

King Mark said it all or like others here said before me, go and rent the movie first and then decide. Or if you can afford buying it for one track, be it the final cue, don't hesitate a second. That's real classic!

Do I sound ambivalent? But that's exactly the way the music in Sleepers makes me feel.

Roman.-)

Welcome, Drax! hope you enjoy it here

Sleepers: Buy it! It's essential for every Williams fan. I love Track 2, HELL'S KITCHEN. The main theme is very good.

I made a poll about it some months ago. It could help you:

http://www.jwfan.net/modules.php?op=modloa...iewtopic&t=1303

Thank you for the welcoming. :angry:

Concerning my interest in Williams' music, I pretty much like anything that he's done - even more subtle, atonal, intellectual and even almost ambient scores.

Heh, I may as well buy it. My collection can only grow.

;)

My gilfriend found it in a bargain bin here in Canada for like six bucks which is roughly 4 dollars american and bought it for me scared I might already have it. I had heard a piece of it before but never really wanted it that much. BUT when I heard the whole thing I ended up listening to it for a week straight and I go back every once in awhile now. May not be his best score but defiantlly a Williams score which makes it 50 times better then some of the crap out there!

Brian99_1

• 5 years later...

i've dug up this post because I just bought and discovered that score... I love it! The main theme is great - pure Williams - and the overall atmosphere is very well represented I think.

I also think the odd-meter actiony/thriller cues are just awesome :lol:

It's pretty original for a Williams score... really a good buy.

Anyway... just wanted to share my 2 cents :ola:

H.

This is definitely one of my 5 favorite Williams works..

I've been trying to reconstruct some passages as they were intended in the sketches made by John Williams, before the last-minute changes. Here is a small part of The Reunion:

http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=03277e5

I am also arranging the main theme for piano and cello to play it with a cellist friend. One of my favorite parts is this awesome progression in the middle of the theme:

http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=4e0116a

I just wanted to share it with you, to express how much I love this score.

The Football Game, I say!

In the movie, the Football Game is a different version with no drumkit. I'd like to hear that one outside the film. Wonder if it ever popped up anywhere. The score was a satisfying one. I remember being happy with it when it came along. It was interesting. It could almost be a modern horror score.

I've been trying to reconstruct some passages as they were intended in the sketches made by John Williams, before the last-minute changes. Here is a small part of The Reunion:

I am also arranging the main theme for piano and cello to play it with a cellist friend. One of my favorite parts is this awesome progression in the middle of the theme:

Could you tell me where you heard about the last minute changes? I'd like to hear about that.

Could you tell me where you heard about the last minute changes? I'd like to hear about that.

If the sketches differ from the final music, I assume there has been some change in the process, probably in the recording sessions. But just minor adjustments, like the additional bar you can hear in my clip.

I love the flute statement of the main theme in the last track. For me it's a must have... but I buy every Johny score :lol:

A few days ago, I saw the Sleepers soundtrack at a nearby CD outlet, however it's AUS$29.95 and seems to be quite rare (it isn't even in the list of CDs available at the side of the page on this website).

I just picked it up off amazon marketplace for $3.90.

TJ

It could almost be a modern horror score.

I agree... I haven't seen the film, but just as a score it is probably very effective for a thriller.

I also enjoyed the "synthy" parts, which I find original and not too much "in your face" or dated (which is always a big risk when using synths).

Those odd-meter cues are simply awesome. The theme from "Hells' Kitchen" (which is used later in the score) reminds me of what JW did on Minority Report. "The Football Game" is definitely something original for JW...

BTW I love how "Hell's Kitchen" develops into that fugue-type, almost bi-tonal, piece, and then builds tension to release it at 4:37... stylistically it's like a cross between JW's style of writing for his film scores and for his concert pieces. I'm sure he had a lot of fun writing that cue... As a matter of fact, as soon as I heard that track, I knew it was going to be an interesting score :|

H.

Sleepers pretty much says what it says on the box :)

No seriously, pick it up...if only for the brilliant end track. Message me :(

Why are all my old threads being dug up?

:P

The message board is down in the dumps again?

Seriously though, Sleepers is worth getting. The end track and "The Football Game" are standouts.

In the movie, the Football Game is a different version with no drumkit. I'd like to hear that one outside the film.

Yeah, I'd also love a recording of that version :(

I really enjoy all of this score.

Here's the football game with the ost version, I still think it pumps hard!

There's a great little offbeat timp hit at about 2.56 when the guy bangs his head :lol:

Why are all my old threads being dug up?

:lol:

The message board is down in the dumps again?

Expect a slight peak when Indy IV comes out on DVD.

Then it's just more of the boring stuff we've had for the past two years...

In the movie, the Football Game is a different version with no drumkit. I'd like to hear that one outside the film.

Yeah, I'd also love a recording of that version :(

I really enjoy all of this score.

Here's the football game with the ost version, I still think it pumps hard!

There's a great little offbeat timp hit at about 2.56 when the guy bangs his head :lol:

That's SO great, thank you! For anyone who wonders why Williams is the best film composer...