Another new Williams release coming soon!

Jay

At the end of my exclusive interview with Mike Matessino about "1941 - Expanded" that can be read here, Mike had this to say:

Mike, thanks so much for giving us some of your valuable time. Before you go, any hints you can give us on what Williams releases could be coming down the pipeline soon?

There’s one I worked on that I expect will be announced before the ink completely dries on this interview.

Any ideas? (No, I didn't press him for more information, and I honestly have no idea what he's referring to).

Intrada announces new releases every other Monday, but the next one is October 4th, not tomorrow, and we already know its an Elmer Bernstein release (also, unless I'm mistaken, MIke Matessino has never worked with Intrada).

Kritzerland also announces new releases every Monday, and tomorrow would be their normal time to announce, but since they announced Thelma and Louise mid-week last week, I'm guessing it's not that.

If Varese had a club batch coming out tonight at midnight that would be a great candidate, but unless they don't pre-announce any more, it's not that.

Maybe FSM? They announce things at random times.

Another possibility is that at the screening of 1941 that is happening in LA as I type this, the Q&A portion includes some kind of announcement of a future Williams La-La Land title. We'll know within a few hours if that is the case.

If not, I'm betting my money on FSM. Which is great news, as all their releases are top notch.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect them to announce Hook a few weeks or months before because it's a huge deal

I don't want to get my hopes up and suffer a crushing disappointment

Oh wow - Star Wars is a great suggestion!

I could see Lucasfilm announcing new soundtrack sets out of the blue this week sometime

We need someone who was at the Q&A tonight in LA to sneak out and post something on FSM if they mentioned anything there about a new Williams release!

Please, no mentioning of Star Wars. Those soundtracks mastered by Mike M. would be unreal.

I only want a re-master of Return of the Jedi. Star Wars and TESB sound fine to me

I'm sort of surprised no info from that Q&A deal in L.A. tonight has been posted yet.

That's cause everyone that was at the Q&A is in the theater watching the movie! Maybe in 2-3 hours someone will post about it...

Please, no mentioning of Star Wars. Those soundtracks mastered by Mike M. would be unreal.

I only want a re-master of Return of the Jedi. Star Wars and TESB sound fine to me

I think he was referring to the whole saga.....

I would not complain if TOD or KOTCS got a complete release, TLC would be nice, but most of the score is already available clean (albeit in footwarmer quality)

We should focus on what is LIKELY instead of what we all WANT it to be.

Kritzerland - out, MM has never worked with them, they just announced a new release.

Intrada - out, their next release is Elmer Bernstein

La-La Land - possible, but if no news comes from the Q&A then its unlikely to be them. The next official announcement date for LLL should be Tuesday October 4th.

Varese - out, they haven't even announced when the new club batch is yet. Though, I think will be #1 choice if they announce tomorrow that they are releasing a new batch next weekend.

FSM - Very likely - MM has worked with them many times, and they announce randomly.

So that leaves a release not done by "the big 5" independent labels - something like Lucasfilm releasing Star Wars or something.

If it is FSM - what scores are likely? Now that 1941 has come out on Universal, does that mean Dracula and Jaws 2 are possible? If so, would FSM be the label to release them?

What other 60s and early 70s titles remain unreleased in Williams' ouvre - those are right up FSM's alley.

Jaws 2 has 3 minutes on unreleased music .Waste of a release IMO

Earthquake just generally sucks, even if you include the unreleased music

Eiger Sanction..meh

Towering Inferno Re-Issue...Please no

I wouldn't be surprised if one of FSMs final 9 is a popular JW score.

That's true! I could see them doing Dracula or Jaws 2. But not Jurassic Park or The Lost World.

I could also see them re-issuing Jaws, Close Encounters, or Raiders of the Lost Ark, only done properly this time.

I remember last year on Movie Music' forum that Doug Adams hinted the possibility of a Star Wars box set being worked on. Since then nothing new has come out to light about that. It does make you wonder if it might be a properly remastered version of the Original Trilogy scores, and HOPEFULLY the complete intended Prequels.

How about this for a 3CD set:

Disc 1 - JAWS, the complete film recordings (this time in chronological order, and with completely remastered sound)

Disc 2 - JAWS 2, expanded to complete and chronological form

Disc 3 - The original 1975 Jaws LP re-recording, followed by the original 1978 Jaws II LP.

Nah, I have all the Jaws c.d.'s I need. A few tracks out of order isn't important either

The sound on the anniversary c.d. of Jaws isn't stellar, but I'm not sure a remaster would dramatically improve things

Very unfortunate that "His Supreme Highness,the Venerable Ancient Elder of JWfandom" is so inconsiderate of those who don't own Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, or The Towering Inferno. Can you please reconsider your title?

Well we never really do junk things

Very unfortunate that "His Supreme Highness,the Venerable Ancient Elder of JWfandom" is so inconsiderate of those who don't own Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, or The Towering Inferno. Can you please reconsider your title?

I don't care about your incomplete JW collection. If you want to listen to the music there's other ways

Anything's possible at this point

Though for what it's worth, Intrada has been releasing Universal scores for a while. This is just La-La Land's first Universal.

Hey jay, just perusing Mike's webpage, looks like he's done a few for Intrada. How To Steal A MIllion/Bachelor Flat, Back to the Future, Spacecamp notes, among a couple others. Nitpicking, but either way good to see he did the Williams ;)

FSM did say lots of silver age classics in their last 10 didn't they?

Lukas did not mention that in his post, no

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6706/

Hey jay, just perusing Mike's webpage, looks like he's done a few for Intrada. How To Steal A MIllion/Bachelor Flat, Back to the Future, Spacecamp notes, among a couple others. Nitpicking, but either way good to see he did the Williams ;)

Duh - of course! I forgot about all of those temporarily for some reason. D'oh!