First Tintin samples appear on German film music site!!

Erik Woods

Well, that is good news then! Perhaps the final track is indeed an original end credits suite, which merely starts of being VERY similar to Duelling Pirates. Unless of course it is the same recording, just mixed differently.

It's not the same recording. Track 9 is a tad slower than track 18.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason can you estimate, since we all are dying to know, roughly what percentage of the score is presented on the CD based on the sheet music? Or can you say without hearing the CD first?

I'd say that we have around 65% or the score.

What makes you say that? That would imply there was 100 minutes of music recorded for a 107 minute film.

I was just on the IMDB message boards for the film, and a poster there said a french film site (www.mad-movies.com) not only reviewed the film but said the running time is 110 minutes. But mad-movies is blocked at my work. Can anyone check?

Even if the film IS 110 minutes, that doesn't mean 100 minutes of music would have had to of been recorded. I'd guess the complete score somewhere between 70-90 minutes.

Just noticed something: The ending section of Escape from the Karadoboujan sounds very similar to The Clash of the Cranes. The timpani/low brasses hits are vritually the same... Maybe they are connected somehow?

Just noticed something: The ending section of Escape from the Karadoboujan sounds very similar to The Clash of the Cranes. The timpani/low brasses hits are vritually the same... Maybe they are connected somehow?

Doesn't sound that similar to me

Is this it?

No, it doesn't seem to be from this. i listened to the whole thing..

Right composer, wrong opera! It's Je veux vivre, from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette

Ah, thanks. It's hard to say with the Snowy's theme. This bit sounds to me like it's leading up to the main theme - or is connecting two sections. I can't wait to hear the whole theme.

Said Jason:

Snowy's Theme:

07. Sir Francis and the Unicorn 0:02-0:08

08. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:00-0:02

08. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:11-0:13

11. The Flight to Bagghar 0:07-0:14

15. The Captain’s Counsel 0:08-0:19

17. The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale 0:03-0:10

Does anyone else find themselves really enjoying The Adventure Continues? It's a great theme and it's even quite catchy! I really want to hear the rest of the thing, it really does sound like it could become a classic.

Does anyone else find themselves really enjoying The Adventure Continues? It's a great theme and it's even quite catchy! I really want to hear the rest of the thing, it really does sound like it could become a classic.

a yes, a pitch altered, microedited construction. I'm sure it will be fun a few times

Is that a "b section" of Snowy's Theme at 0:51 in the youtube video? If it is, it seems to fit pretty well.

This bit sounds to me like it's leading up to the main theme - or is connecting two sections. I can't wait to hear the whole theme.

Said Jason:

Snowy's Theme:

07. Sir Francis and the Unicorn 0:02-0:08

08. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:00-0:02

08. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:11-0:13

11. The Flight to Bagghar 0:07-0:14

15. The Captain’s Counsel 0:08-0:19

17. The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale 0:03-0:10

That little melody is also in "Marlinspike Hall" (2:27 in the video), and there's a bit of that crazy piano riff at the end of "Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase", so I'm guessing they're both connecting musical ideas identified with Snowy, but Jason's list is only where the theme itself appears.

Yeap it says 110 minutes. I think we should start moaning about the possibly huge amount of missing music right now!

Oh woe is us! The agony! The pain! Such loss! Such tragedy! Sweet oblivion take me into your arms!

Right composer, wrong opera! It's Je veux vivre, from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette

Thank you for the info! :)

So it is Gounod then if not from Faust. I really hope Presenting Bianca Castafiore track is not just this aria but would contain an excerpt of it and original score. Even I consider presenting source music not written by Williams a waste of space, no matter that Castafiore sings in the film.

OK, so I have news some people probably aren't going to like!

Listen to the sample of "The Adventure Continues". That's the very beginning of the track. It's also the very beginning of a cue called "Duelling Pirates". Now, listen to the end of the sample of "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure". If you listen carefully, you will see that it is the EXACT SAME MUSIC. The exact same recording, even. The reason I didn't recognize this "theme" right away is because... it isn't one. It's music that appears only in the cue "Duelling Pirates". Williams must have liked it so much, he duplicated it at the end of the OST, as he is known to do. The entire track "The Adventure Continues" is likely created by taking existing cues and editing them together. It's possibly also the way the end credits of the movie starts.

So, sorry, but its not a lietmotif theme that you will hear throughout the score :(

Yes, I noticed that too - after listening to the sample about 5 times! :P

But for me, it's really no biggie. The track is only 3 minutes long anyway. I am thinking this is like the Island Theme in JP. Besides, this sounds like a very good, catchy piece.

You are acting a bit like it's the end of the world (KM-ish)...

TINTIN SAMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say, I'm loving these samples (listening from the JWfan main page).

It really has shades of the first two Indiana Jones films in there, if you ask me. Basket Game, and stuff from TOD.

Yet I'm also hearing shades of Cantina Band, High Wire Stunts from Jurassic Park, Home Alone, E.T, SW Phantom Menace, Harry Potter, and more.

It really does seem to span several of his styles across the years (even the earlier jazz stuff, I suppose).

Melange - Actually looking forward to this JW score (and now the film) after hearing these samples.

I agree with you!

But I hear influences from all 4 Indy movies, actually. And all we have so far are 30-second samples!!!

There's a ton of themes, and they get played very often throughout the complete score.

Whoever chose the sections of tracks for these 30 second samples just seemingly tried to avoid the themes whenever possible :(

I have listened to the samples now for like 10 times, and - don't laugh - I am still not sure I have a firm grasp of Snowy's Theme.

In the second sample, where does Snowy's Theme, the melody, actually start? Which instrument plays the main melody? The piano? The woodwinds? The strings? :huh:

Damn. It's still great music though, some of the best Williams has written since HP&SS and I'm basing that on a 30 second clip..! ;)

Agreed!

Quick trivia question: Which JW score (except Tintin and Terminal) makes prominent use of an accordion?

You should also take How to Steal a Million in to account. It has a wonderfully zany use of accordion in one of the last cues to evoke the true Gallic character. :P

I don't have that album, alas. (Never seen the movie, either.)

Have you? And do you recommend it?

Am I imagining things or Williams used the piano to depict Snowy? Its use in "Snowy's Theme" seems very characteristic and it also pops up at the end of "Introducing the Thompsons/Snowy's Chase" sample...

I love the use of the piano.

While listening to the sample of Snowy's theme, I imagine an overly excited little doggie, jumping around and fooling around! (Still not sure about the main melody, though.)

I just can't see the jazzy nature of "Tinker-tin" / "The Adventures of Tintin" having any place in the body of the film itself.... and I also can't see it being the first thing the audience hears when the movie starts. It sets up expectations that the rest of the film wouldn't deliver on.

But I can see it playing at the end, after the adventure is over, as the end credits are rolling

Well, the sample we have might have been taken from anywhere in the track. So we don't know how it starts... maybe it starts not so crazy and jazzy and zany.

The accordion was a surprising instrumental colour in the track Adventures of Tintin.

The accordion is used throughout, and I love it!

Gives it a bit of a Terminal-like quality (Tale of Viktor Navorski). But different. Oh so different.

I'm hearing a little bit of The Terminal in "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" as well. That cool, pulsating bass rhythm right after that first crescendo reminds me of "The Tale of Viktor Navorski".

Yes! But my first thought when the section begins was actually that brass march from the end of "Journey to the Island." How bout that!

It's not the "EXACT SAME MUSIC".

No?

The orchestration is slightly different.

Just compare them in an audio editor.

:lol: If we need an audio editor to detect any differences in orchestration, then they might as well be the same!

I still wonder if Track 02 "Snowy's Theme" is a cue (or 2 cues put together) from the film. It doesn't sound very "concert arrangement"-y to me

Gotta be honest, Jason, you seem to be a LOT more concerned about which piece goes where and which piece is repeated on the album and which two pieces were combined to create one track, etc. etc. than about the music itself.

Just saying. ;)

As long as we don't have the actual album, there's no way of knowing for sure!

I still wonder if Track 02 "Snowy's Theme" is a cue (or 2 cues put together) from the film. It doesn't sound very "concert arrangement"-y to me

Gotta be honest, Jason, you seem to be a LOT more concerned about which piece goes where and which piece is repeated on the album and which two pieces were combined to create one track, etc. etc. than about the music itself.

Just saying. ;)

Well I think some of us are more film music minded in that we would love to hear the music in the order it is presented in the film which gives it at least in JWs case a satisfying arc. I do not say an album arrangement does not do that but I find that Williams' scores have a strong narrative which comes best out in correct order.

I do appreciate Williams album arrangements to a degree but I am also one of the fans who wants to have as much music as possible from the film, Williams composed music. This is why repeated material and source music like the opera aria basically take space from the actual score that could have been presented.

I am interested to hear how the album plays out and if the biggest highlights of the music are there intact. I surely hope so.

I dunno ,the album presentation is turning out on the "worst case scenario" side of things

Source cue not composed by Williams included for some marketing reasons (maybe they think they'll sell a few c.d.'s to opera fans)

Pitched altered, microedit waste of space cue (which I predict we'll all curse after a week)

Dropped cue at last minute (Sony Classical saying fuck the Williams fans)

short-ish running time of c.d. (anything under 74 minutes is unacceptable to me,and 65 is way to short)

cues from all over the place edited into tracks (looks like TPM all over again )

About 40 minutes (40% of the score!) of unreleased music when about 20 minutes more music could have for on 1 c.d.

With 40% of the score unreleased look for major highlights to be unreleased (as usual)

And it looks like Sony Classical is cobbling this together at the last minute carelessly

Again, you're worrying too much and too early KM.

. It has been proved that "The Adventure Continues" IS NOT an edit of another track, nor a "pitch-altered" track (I thought you were joking, but now I see you're dead serious--WTF are you saying this??). It's very much likely a reprise of the pirate-esque motif, rewritten as the end credits intro. I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg loved the piece so much and asked Williams to use it as the end credits kick-off. I bet this was recorded in the 2011 sessions, as it's much more likely that the end credits sequence/roll wasn't ready yet for the 2010 sessions.

. NOBODY really know how much music Williams wrote and recorded in total. The only thing we know is that Jason said that the 2010 sessions were around 50-60 minutes worth.

. The dropped cue is really a case we don't know the reason why (blame just PR offices for leaking wrong information and no one else).

. The inclusion of opera track: it could be just a quote written into an original JW piece.

So, let's keep a positive approach and let's wait until we have the full CD before making judgements! :)

Just saying. ;)

Well I think some of us are more film music minded in that we would love to hear the music in the order it is presented in the film which gives it at least in JWs case a satisfying arc. I do not say an album arrangement does not do that but I find that Williams' scores have a strong narrative which comes best out in correct order.

I do appreciate Williams album arrangements to a degree but I am also one of the fans who wants to have as much music as possible from the film, Williams composed music. This is why repeated material and source music like the opera aria basically take space from the actual score that could have been presented.

I am interested to hear how the album plays out and if the biggest highlights of the music are there intact. I surely hope so.

Well, that's all understandable and okay. However, in the process we should not forget the music itself. ;)

From the samples so far, I am quite impressed. No (or very little) quiet, mood music here, so that's gotta be a good thing. And now I know why JW used the word "cluttered." :)

And it looks like Sony Classical is cobbling this together at the last minute carelessly

Actually I think you should attribute the short comings of the presentation on JW. He always compiles the soundtrack for his scores or at least has complete control of what goes in there. And if he had wanted to present 74 or 78 minutes of music I think Sony would have taken up on that offer.

Plus as John Williams is both too modest and so succesful that he obviously does not feel the need to advertise himself by presenting a full CD of music with "bonus" stuff at the end as we have seen from other younger composers. And I think the omission of Picking Pockets is John Williams' doing, not the record company's.

And I say this not as a stab at John Williams but as an observation of how he acts as a CD producer and possibly why he does it how he does. Often in our demand and hunger for more music we tend to forget that the composers can have an entirely different view on the matter of how their music should be presented on disc.

Actually I think you should attribute the short comings of the presentation on JW. He always compiles the soundtrack for his scores or at least has complete control of what goes in there. And if he had wanted to present 74 or 78 minutes of music I think Sony would have taken up on that offer.

Plus as John Williams is both too modest and so succesful that he obviously does not feel the need to advertise himself by presenting a full CD of music with "bonus" stuff at the end as we have seen from other younger composers. And I think the omission of Picking Pockets is John Williams' doing, not the record company's.

And JW made the right choice - from his standpoint.

When assembling the album, he probably has the legion of Tintin fans and average movie goers in his mind. Not the few hundred soundtrack buffs obsessing about every micro-edit and the order of tracks on the album. ;)

The only real problem, as far as I'm concerned, is the third point you mentioned. That's beyond unacceptable.

Picking Pockets' Noble End.

Perhaps it is time to write another lament in the corresponding thread. ;)

It has been proved that "The Adventure Continues" IS NOT an edit of another track, nor a "pitch-altered" track

I thought you were joking but see now you're dead-serious. WTF are you saying this?

;)

Seriously though - where has that been proved?

2)The vast majority of tracks seem to be chase/action cues. I have not heard a single quet reflective moment or "soaring" cues (I guess that's the unreleased music)

Well, Tintin is a very emotionally flat character in an emotionally flat environment. I wonder how the hopelessly sentimental Spielberg has dealt with this.

Seriously though - where has that been proved?

It's not the "EXACT SAME MUSIC".

No?

The orchestration is slightly different.

Just compare them in an audio editor.

I guess Alexander were joking when then said that it's pitch-altered, but somehow someone believed he was saying the truth. Or am I losing something? It's all becoming really crazy here :)

Who knows at this point. It is a regular circus around here. :lol:

And I like it.

Wonderful clips :) Those violin solos!!

Sounds like an extention to Harry Potter, with a fresh touch!

Btw: this vid has more clips: http://youtu.be/rzhQjsPHKTc

:blink:

Who made this?? One of us?

And where are the extra clips from???

Extra clips??

I made that vid.

I was joking about the pitch altering though.

It's NOT pitch altered.

Wonderful clips :) Those violin solos!!

Sounds like an extention to Harry Potter, with a fresh touch!

Btw: this vid has more clips: http://youtu.be/rzhQjsPHKTc

:blink:

Who made this?? One of us?

And where are the extra clips from???

Extra clips??

I made that vid.

So there are no extra clips? MSN said there are more clips so

(Haven't listened to it yet, I am still at work. :()