First Tintin samples appear on German film music site!!

Erik Woods

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main Theme (possibly also referred to as Snowy's theme - unverified)

07 Sir Francis and the Unicorn 0:02-0:08

08 Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:00-0:13 [not sure about this one]

11 The Flight to Bagghar 0:05-0:14

15 The Captain’s Counsel 0:08-0:19

17 The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale 0:03-0:10 and 0:18-end

So, could it be said that Tintin himself has no specific theme, while "Snowy's Theme" serves as a kind of broad main theme for the film?

That's the way I see it. Which makes sense - In the comics, Tintin is kind of just there as a "vessel' for the reader to experience all the other characters through. He doesn't much of a personality or history of his own.

Williams is always pretty flexible when it comes to themes and motifs associated to characters and situations. He never applies the leitmotivic approach in a very strict sense. He goes always for the result that makes the strongest impact in purely dramatic terms (i.e. the Princess' theme when Ben Kenobi dies in Star Wars or Yoda's theme in action mode in the Bespin scenes in TESB)

Welcome Carlos!

Thanks!

Where are you from, Carlos? Do we have another Portuguese speaking member here?

Yes you have. I'm from Montijo! I remember you from the board, many years ago. You and Miguel Andrade. :)

Who?

I completely understand that u don't remember me, Stefan.

None of the characters have any kind of history or background, save for Haddock.

Harry Potter never had his own theme.

I always thought that Leaving Hogwarts is Harry's theme.

Karol

I always saw it more as a Family theme/sense of belonging theme. Harry's theme, if there's one, is the one heard in the first part of Harry's Wondrous World, I reckon

I always saw it more as a Family theme/sense of belonging theme.

Which, I think, is the very essence of the character.

Karol

Indeed, good point. Eventually that theme gives way to the more poignant and mature Window to the Past

I listened to the clips this morning, and my face was blown off. I feel like a kid again. This is so amazingy classic, perfect and dramatic.

Semper fi, BloodBoal! Semper fi!

Yeah, yeah, ad nunc es rosa fingulus hoc.

You don't want to fuck with me in Latin!

Not in Latin or anywhere else for that matter. :rimshot:

Listening to the samples now does not have a negative impact on me enjoying the OST later

I've never tried avoiding samples before. I just want to see if it will heighten the fun of that first listen.

It is interesting how the adventurous and exciting sounding Snowy's theme is the idea we hear so prominently even in the soundclips. As you guys have said Williams tends to eschew the strictest of leitmotivic approaches for certain scenes where the emotional content of another theme or musical idea might suit it better or lend a different subtext to it but it is rare that he utilizes his material haphazardly. The prominence of Snowy's theme could suggest that it is the Hedwig's theme of the score, lending its optimistic idea as an adventure signature for the whole film.

I am still very intrigued what Tintin's own theme sounds like. As Jason said it is jazzy and I would expect it to have a mystery solving drive to it. Kind of film noir meets Catch Me If You Can by the way of POA and peppered with accordion.

Harry Potter never had his own theme.

Actually he has a theme or themes that relate to the different sides of his character. But let's focus on Tintin here. I'll post my HPPS analysis in due time in the Reviews section. ;)

I just realized the theme from Sir Francis and the Unicorn is almost a note for note copy of the theme from The Fury.

Do you mean the opening? It is Snowy's theme just in a darker mode.

Okay I've FINALLY had the chance to sit down and listen to these via Faleel's very useful YouTube link (thank you).

I've been extremely cynical of Williams' output of recent years but I have to say that these short snippets are really, really encouraging. Very much liking the sound of this score from what I've heard and one aspect which I personally appreciate over other things (such as orchestration, technical prowess) is that the score clearly has bags of character. That's the most important element in my mind and so I'm very pleased with this, really promising stuff. Yes at last I feel like Williams' heart was in it, the spotting sessions inspired the magic once again.

And 'The Adventure Continues' is BEASTLY! I haven't a doubt in my mind that it's Tintin's theme and I can't wait to hear the whole cue.

The only thing I yearn for is the sound of an analogue recording, but I must... move... on.

I have listened to the samples now for like 10 times, and - don't laugh - I am still not sure I have a firm grasp of Snowy's Theme.

In the second sample, where does Snowy's Theme, the melody, actually start? Which instrument plays the main melody? The piano? The woodwinds? The strings? :huh:

You won't hear any laughing from me! While the theme is all over the place in the score, it sounds quite different anytime, and some of the actual notes themselves differ sometimes too. Keep listening and you'll recognize it more often. As for the sample on the german website from the track "Snowy's Theme", they chose a section of the track where the theme itself doesn't play at all.

Oh okay. I am actually relieved now that the sample of Track 2 doesn't really play Snowy's theme.

Well, I am just hoping Snowy's Theme is a good, catchy, instantly recognizable theme... like Luke Skywalker's Theme, Hedwig's Theme, Raiders March, etc.

Well, the sample we have might have been taken from anywhere in the track. So we don't know how it starts... maybe it starts not so crazy and jazzy and zany.

No, the entire piece is jazzy. I love it!

Well, I love it too. You know what this (slightly) reminds me of? Music for some Nintendo computer game... :P

3. I can actually contribute something that the samples alone don't tell you. Is that a bad thing?

No, I am actually most grateful to you for that. I think most people are. :)

I have to say, I'm REALLY enjoying the sample of The Milanese Nightingale, perhaps the most out of all the samples. It's just so.... I dunno how to describe it - refreshingly fun?

I like Williams classic adventure themes more than anyone, but that little bit is just gorgeous.

Yes, my feelings exactly! I even wondered (for a second) whether JW brought in Perlman just for that passage... :P

Unfortunately this is only 1 1/2 minutes long...

I have listened to the samples now for like 10 times, and - don't laugh - I am still not sure I have a firm grasp of Snowy's Theme.

In the second sample, where does Snowy's Theme, the melody, actually start? Which instrument plays the main melody? The piano? The woodwinds? The strings? :huh:

You won't hear any laughing from me! While the theme is all over the place in the score, it sounds quite different anytime, and some of the actual notes themselves differ sometimes too. Keep listening and you'll recognize it more often. As for the sample on the german website from the track "Snowy's Theme", they chose a section of the track where the theme itself doesn't play at all.

Oh okay. I am actually relieved now that the sample of Track 2 doesn't really play.

A clear rendition of Snowy's theme can be heard on track 11 The Flight to Bagghar at 0:06-0:14.

A clear rendition of Snowy's theme can be heard on track 11 The Flight to Bagghar at 0:06-0:14.

I like what I am hearing! :)

Kinda like Dobby's House Elf... only busier.

I just realized the theme from Sir Francis and the Unicorn is almost a note for note copy of the theme from The Fury.

Note for note? No. Not at all.

Unknown Theme 1 (Unicorn theme? Mystery theme?)

03 The Secret Of The Scrolls 0:02-0:10

Yes, this reminds me a bit of the mystery theme(s) in Harry Potter...

As Jason and I have said it is just Snowy's theme in a darker guise.

You're talking about the first few seconds, right?

You're talking about the first few seconds, right?

Yeap.

It is interesting how the adventurous and exciting sounding Snowy's theme is the idea we hear so prominently even in the soundclips. As you guys have said Williams tends to eschew the strictest of leitmotivic approaches for certain scenes where the emotional content of another theme or musical idea might suit it better or lend a different subtext to it but it is rare that he utilizes his material haphazardly. The prominence of Snowy's theme could suggest that it is the Hedwig's theme of the score, lending its optimistic idea as an adventure signature for the whole film.

I am still very intrigued what Tintin's own theme sounds like. As Jason said it is jazzy and I would expect it to have a mystery solving drive to it. Kind of film noir meets Catch Me If You Can by the way of POA and peppered with accordion.

But Tintin doesn't have a theme, though. The theme we've all been referring to as Snowy's Theme for some reason (I don't really know how it started) is the main theme of the score, appearing in tons of cues (and 5 of the samples we have!). For all intents and purposes, that is "Tintin's Theme". The "jazzyness" you are talking about is simply because "The Adventures of Tintin" track is a jazzy arrangement of music from the film. The actual underscore of the film itself doesn't feature any jazzyness, its just this one piece.

If Tintin does not have theme himself, does the first track have a theme, and if so, who's is it?

The first track is a jazzy arrangement of music from the movie. The theme we've been calling "Snowy's Theme" appears in it. The sample used on the german website is from a non-thematic portion of it

Jason, does the Tintin score have any choir passages?

None. Unless whatever Williams recorded in 2011 had choir - I have no idea about that.

The first track is a jazzy arrangement of music from the movie. The theme we've been calling "Snowy's Theme" appears in it. The sample used on the german website is from a non-thematic portion of it

And again, that is a relief.

And 'The Adventure Continues' is BEASTLY! I haven't a doubt in my mind that it's Tintin's theme and I can't wait to hear the whole cue.

Unfortunately, that theme is not a theme at all. Its a motif that only appears in one cue of the underscore (you can hear it in the sample of track 9, "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure"). Then someone decided to kick off the end credits ("The Adventure Continues") with a reprise of that cue.

Oh okay. I am actually relieved now that the sample of Track 2 doesn't really play Snowy's theme.

Well, I am just hoping Snowy's Theme is a good, catchy, instantly recognizable theme... like Luke Skywalker's Theme, Hedwig's Theme, Raiders March, etc.

The theme we've all be calling "Snowy's Theme" is heard in FIVE of the samples provided, Josh. Of course, its possible that theme is really the "Main Theme" or "Tintin's Theme", and Snowy does have his own, separate theme, but I've never identified one.

Actually that is a clarification. So what has been called Snowy's theme is the main theme. And it is indeed all over the place in different guises even in the sample clips. Cool. :)

I can't wait to hear the main thematic material in heroic guise!

The swashbuckling string piece from the Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure and The Adventure Continues has been playing in my head for 2 days. Catchy stuff.

Yea, I mean - its possible the theme that's all over the place IS "Snowy's Theme". It's also possible that is "Tintin's Theme" or just the "Main Theme", and Snowy has a separate theme.... I just haven't picked up on any other themes that the ones I have already listed, so I doubt it. Its possible as other's have suggested Snowy is just represented by tinkly piano music....

We need a better sample of Track 2!

Yes, the theme that we hear 5 times in the samples -- the one keep calling "Snowy's Theme" -- is very likely Tintin's Theme (somehow this theme doesn't seem to fit a little overly active dog).

And I am sure we have another minor theme for the dog, as well. We have 65 minutes of music on the album (and JW wrote more for the movie). All we have so far is barely 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japSYRaCvgI

In this video, isn't 0:51 Snowy's Theme? It's repeated again at 0:58?

The one that seems to be jumping up and down... you know what I mean.

Yea, I mean - its possible the theme that's all over the place IS "Snowy's Theme". It's also possible that is "Tintin's Theme" or just the "Main Theme", and Snowy has a separate theme.... I just haven't picked up on any other themes that the ones I have already listed, so I doubt it. Its possible as other's have suggested Snowy is just represented by tinkly piano music....

We need a better sample of Track 2!

Yeah. I think there is some sadistic skill involved in choosing those particular samples on the German site, leaving us wanting for more. :lol:

The swashbuckling string piece from the Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure and The Adventure Continues has been playing in my head for 2 days. Catchy stuff.

Yes!!! Same here. The music in Sir Francis and the Unicorn (the one used in the trailer) and The Adventure Continues contain some

wonderfully adventurous passages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japSYRaCvgI

Hey, you know what? It plays again at 2:28!!

This HAS to be the real Snowy's Theme.

Hey, you know what? It plays again at 2:28!!

Yes! You figured it out! Good job!

So we have stumbled on Snowy's real theme now? Exciting! Now we have to have at least 2 more renditions of this motif in the score and we can officially announce it a theme. ;)

Here is my updated list of themes then..........

Snowy's Theme

02 Snowy's Theme 0:05-0:06, 0:17-0:27

05 Marlinspike Hall 0:18-0:26

11 The Flight to Bagghar 0:02-0:06

Unicorn/Mystery theme

03 The Secret Of The Scrolls 0:02-0:10

Main Theme

07 Sir Francis and the Unicorn 0:02-0:08

08 Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:00-0:13 [not sure about this one]

11 The Flight to Bagghar 0:05-0:14

15 The Captain’s Counsel 0:08-0:19

17 The Return to Marlinspike Hall and Finale 0:03-0:10 and 0:18-end

Sir Francis' Theme

07 Sir Francis and the Unicorn 0:14-end

Piratey adventure melody appearing only in 1 cue, but reprised in the end credits:

09 Red Rackham’s Curse and the Treasure 0:26-end

18 The Adventure Continues 0:06-end

Haddock's Theme

10 Capturing Mr. Silk 0:19-end

Thomson and Thompson's Theme

(does not appear in any samples)

Omar's Theme

(does not appear in any samples)

I really love Snowy's Theme.

This has to go down as one of JW's cutest themes... :)

Btw, in the video, Snowy's Theme is lightly hinted at at 0:37 (just for a second, played by a flute, I think), followed by the strings playing pizzicato.

It's really amazing how much we can get from these 30-second samples...

It blows my mind. Can't imagine what else we'll discover once we have the actual album! :)

Hey, Jason, you know what?

I am starting to think that The Pursuit of the Falcon 5:43 is actually based on Snowy's Theme. The portion we can hear, that is!!

Good catch with Snowy's motif,

Could it be that the strings rhythmic figure in "The Pursuit of the Falcon" is based on that? It seems similar.

:lol: We had the exact same thought at the same time!