The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

Luke the film does seem to suggest Tintin lives in England. The Unicorn has a price in Pounds.

The film suggests Tintin lives somewhere in an unidentified place in Western Europe. There's stuff from England, and a ton of stuff from Brussels.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People talk with English accennts because it's shot in English.

Many streets look just like the comic book. And I think I saw stuff in French on background shops, as wella s the name of the newspaper. There's also the cobbled streets like a 40's Brussels or something.

By the way, in some Spanish translations they used pesetas for currency, and names of supporting characters were changed into Spanish like no big deal :lol:

In the spanish version of the film the plaque of Haddock's ancestral mansion is called 'Chateâu du Moulinsart'.

Unless its changed in the english version (it could, pixar usually does translate things insto spanish) that's a french speaking country...

And i think Shakkarine's car (the crane fight sequence) has the weel on the left side. IIRC. and some other cars in the city...

Maybe tintin like's english sports cars...a nod to james bond?

I forgot to meantion one piece of dialogue-scene that makes me laugh every time i saw it and bring back a smile everytime i remember it.

Its in the pursuit of the falcon, when haddock somehow gets dressed in a woman's dress and he says to the falcon something like 'come here you troublemaker budgerigar!

In spanish the words used sound so funny and SO haddock. Its great. lol

What are the exact words in english?

What are the exact words in english?

Oh Ten thousand thundering typhoons! Come here you pilfering parakeet!

• 2 weeks later...

People talk with English accennts because it's shot in English.

Many streets look just like the comic book. And I think I saw stuff in French on background shops, as wella s the name of the newspaper. There's also the cobbled streets like a 40's Brussels or something.

By the way, in some Spanish translations they used pesetas for currency, and names of supporting characters were changed into Spanish like no big deal :lol:

There's dutch text on the newspaper.

I saw the movie today and really enjoyed it . I can confirm Williams score is mixed loud and you hear every note.

I wen to a french showing by mistake (it's a cinema that usually only shows original English versions) , but it turned out to be a good thing because I read the graphic novels in French and was familiar with Haddock's cursing in french

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_adventures_of_tintin/

It's certified fresh at 83% and has the consensus, "Drawing deep from the classic Raiders of the Lost Ark playbook, Steven Spielberg has crafted another spirited, thrilling adventure in the form of Tintin."

http://www.rottentom...ures_of_tintin/

It's certified fresh at 83% and has the consensus, "Drawing deep from the classic Raiders of the Lost Ark playbook, Steven Spielberg has crafted another spirited, thrilling adventure in the form of Tintin."

Ah RT - the reliable place to look to see if the critics positive percentage is higher than that of the audiences' - a positively rare thing indeed. It's good to see Tintin disappoints the audience more than the critics, just ;)

Just got back from Tintin, where the theatre was packed with a whopping 6 people, one of which I invited. I thought it was good! It's definitely a Spielberg film, albeit a Spielberg film marketed towards a population with a short attention span. There's not a ton of time to take a deep breath and absorb what just happened - it's a jerky ride, but a fun one. The animation looked fantastic, easily the best computer animated film I've seen. A few random thoughts:

- there's a scene where one of the twins hits his head, and a bunch of birds from a local pet store start flying around his head. I'm not familiar with the Tintin comics, so I'm not sure if it was a reference to Tintin specifically or just to cartoons in general, but I thought it was clever.

- the score was treated fairly respectfully, but it was an entirely different listening experience than it is on the album. Somebody in charge really likes "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" - it was tracked into several scenes, including the beginning of the end credits. Tintin's theme is used a lot more in the film than on the album. The music when Tintin takes off in the plane is the only really notable unreleased cue that I noticed. Overall, I prefer the album as a listening version. Even without the inevitable edits and tracking, I would probably prefer the OST over an "Ultimate Edition."

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head - I'm sure more will come later.

Just got back from Tintin, where the theatre was packed with a whopping 6 people, one of which I invited. I thought it was good! It's definitely a Spielberg film, albeit a Spielberg film marketed towards a population with a short attention span. There's not a ton of time to take a deep breath and absorb what just happened - it's a jerky ride, but a fun one. The animation looked fantastic, easily the best computer animated film I've seen. A few random thoughts:

- there's a scene where one of the twins hits his head, and a bunch of birds from a local pet store start flying around his head. I'm not familiar with the Tintin comics, so I'm not sure if it was a reference to Tintin specifically or just to cartoons in general, but I thought it was clever.

- the score was treated fairly respectfully, but it was an entirely different listening experience than it is on the album. Somebody in charge really likes "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" - it was tracked into several scenes, including the beginning of the end credits. Tintin's theme is used a lot more in the film than on the album. The music when Tintin takes off in the plane is the only really notable unreleased cue that I noticed. Overall, I prefer the album as a listening version. Even without the inevitable edits and tracking, I would probably prefer the OST over an "Ultimate Edition."

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head - I'm sure more will come later.

There you go again, banging on about Cameron as usual. What did he ever do to you?

It was a solid flick. Lots of fun. I would definitely see another one. JW's music was mixed very prominently, too. It felt a lot like a Spielberg flick. Since it's my introduction to Tintin, I can't judge it against the source material. It would seem to have treated it well, though.

There was no one in my theater either, but it is a weekday. I mean, I took the day off to see it.

There you go again, banging on about Cameron as usual. What did he ever do to you?

:)

What about The Hobbit trailer? ;)

You know, I was actually really looking forward to that, and my theatre didn't even play it! They ended up starting the previews 15 minutes late, due to technical difficulties. And even then, the first two previews were without sound and out of focus. I did get to see the Phantom Menace 3D trailer as it was meant to be seen, though. Looks pretty cool.

Oh okay.

I thought it was weird that the incredibly jarring edit on the OST's "Presenting Bianca Castafiore" was preserved in the film. It sounded awful. I thought the rest of that sequence was really well done, though.

Is it just me or is Tintin sort of an asshole? He immediately turns on Snowy when he breaks the ship, he destroys countless building in the chase to find the scroll and he almost lets Haddock and Snowy drown to keep the scrolls from Sakkarine. And it wasn't for some selfless reason either. It was just to get treasure and/or notoriety and fame.

I saw Tintin last night in 3D. (More on the 3D in the other thread. And for the record, I did see The Hobbit trailer in 3D.) I enjoyed it thoroughly as a kind of old-fashioned adventure. The negative criticisms I've read about it —that it's dramatically shallow and that it's all surface, etc.— don't resonate much with me because, while they are true, they don't detract from the movie. It's supposed to be dramatically shallow and all surface. That's the charm of it. It's a straight-up adventure yarn, cut to the bone.

I am more receptive to the complaints of some critics and members here that the movie rarely slows down. It moves through its scenes as well as the overall plot at such a high pace that I wish I could have soaked it all in just a bit more. This is what separates it from a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which included among its many strokes of brilliance is its pacing and rhythm. Despite these being a little off-kilter in Tintin, there is something to be said for a movie like this that is succinct and direct, as opposed to so much of the bloated fare representing today's blockbusters.

Partially making up for the pacing problems is a flurry of wonderful little moments, ranging from Captain Haddock's mood swings and banter with Tintin to Snowy's expressions and interactions with other animals. But in general, the pleasure in seeing Tintin was simply the movement of it all; from individual shots to scene transitions. Spielberg has so much fun with the medium, which really lends itself to his classical compositional style. This coupled with the superb animation and bare-bones narrative makes for a fun little film.

I've come to think the pacing of this film is trying to emulate the pacing of the books. My only problem with it is, rather than it never slows down, is that the film just feels short. Then again, the books are straight adventures of 60 pages. So I don't know. :lol:

I'm not sure I get the complaints about the pacing -- the quieter moments may be relatively brief, but they're definitely there, and I never felt things were being rushed. I guess the people complaining about being "worn down" just have less cinematic stamina? I don't doubt that more modulated pacing would lend greater texture to the film, but I don't begrudge Spielberg's decision to stick with the two-dimensionality of the comic and the Tintin character.

Only about the stumbling finale. Other than that, I've been very vocal about how fantastic Michael Kahn's editing is during the rest of the movie. I think Tintin is one of the most perfectly paced adventure movies since the Indiana Jones trilogy.

After having seen the movie twice now, I'm really disappointed that Picking Pockets wasn't included on the OST. I love the soundtrack as it is, but I think Picking Pockets really has a nice European flair to it. I'd love to see it released one day.

The music that plays when Tintin and Captain Haddock meet would also be a nice release... I believe it's called "Tub...Tub" on the complete cue list.

Aside from those two requests, the movie and the score (and the score as used in the movie) are awesome, in my opinion. :)

Recently, I also watched the Tintin film. I really enjoyed the movie! Its been really long since we've seen a classic Spielberg adventure. And I've got to say, its been quite some time since I've had so much fun watching a movie in the theatres. The animation was superb and the cinematography was stunning! This film was just so much fun!!!

In fact, its gotten me into finally starting the comics :P A friend gave me a set of Tintin comics for Christmas. Yesterday, I finished the one with the Golden Crabs, and I kept pointing out the parts I saw in film!

- KK

Well, seeing as I finally saw the movie over a week ago now, I guess I should share my thoughts on it.

Overall, I liked the film. It was a fun adventure romp that was never boring for a second. And it had a lot of unique features separating it from many other adventure movies, like the fun 30s/40s European setting, the motion capture animation technique, one of the main characters being a functioning (barely) alcoholic, and other stuff.

I thought the voice acting was great, especially Jamie Bell and Daniel Craig. The pacing of the movie was top notch, for the most part. I have no idea what Quint is talking about, saying that the film doesn't slow down enough between the Falcon Chase and the Crane Fight sequence - for me there was definitely a good amount of downtime, highlighted by Haddock's moving speech. What more did you want? Did you actually need to see them traveling back home? That would be like when Lucas inserted Vader boarding The Executor in ESB:SE - unnecessary.

If anything, when the film ended I was left wanting more - I felt it was too short. I would have liked some more character moments I think - especially for Thompson and Thomson. They were great! I absolutely loved every second of their scenes. It's clear more were filmed, going by the complete cue list, as well as that behind the scenes footage that showed that scene of them circling around each other with the canes hooked together - a BRILLIANT moment I can't believe didn't make the film!

I really hope the sequels get made, they should be a lot of fun.

FWIW, in my theater (Providence mall's multiplex), a 2D showing, the music was mixed loud and sounded awesome.

Hi everyone!! Just saw Tintin couple days ago...really enjoyed it very much! Cute and fun flight of a tale, visually quite lovely indeed. Was very impressed with the look of the characters, especially Sakharine/Rackham I loved, the swagger and realism of his body language...though, I was amused that, to me Tintin's eyes reminded me curiously of Gollum sometimes - I actually didn't even know Weta animated this til the credits and I chuckled a bit.

I purposely went in not spoilering myself or hearing any of the score (easy being so busy with the holidays), and found the whole movie and score all to work together really well. It came across as an expertly crafted little Spielberg project that gave us a good, old-fashioned rollicking adventure (which kids could also follow) and, gave JW a chance to stretch out, have fun, and get back to his jazz roots.

I will post something about the music in the music thread, but was reminded in spots of so many different Williams scores, even back to his Amazing Stories work, perhaps due to the adventurey serial nature of the film (esp. the main theme, stated near the end of Pursuit of the Falcon)...also some Indy (esp. Scherzo for Motorcycle), Knight Bus, and other snippets, of PoA and of course Catch Me If You Can, although he also brings some very fresh fun material we haven't heard.

The movie - I did see it in 3D, I liked it a lot, though I don't feel it's necessary at all to see in 3D to enjoy it. Parts like the floating dust, and other things, were done very well, other times I thought the 3D could have been shown off more. I thought the acting was wonderful, the characters could have had more, depth?, but not knowing anything of the original comics, perhaps it is true to them. I too wished almost it could have been longer and more fleshed out somehow, but for a young adult audience I think it works wonderfully.

I was extremely impressed by the way shots were put together many, many times - in the flight where Haddock and Snowy are trying to drink from the floating bottle, the crashing masts and what-not on the fights between the ships, and bar none, the flight of the falcon and long continuous tracking - amazing!! I liked the movie a lot, and would love to see a sequel actually. This is really something quite different from Spielberg and it's a blast to watch him get his feet wet in animated movie-making.

I felt the music mix was very up-front and in fact, sometimes found myself just kind of following the visuals along with my eyes while paying more attention to the great score (I was hearing it for the first time ;)). It reminded me of how so many movies just do NOT have this kind of scoring anymore, with so much richness, color, detail and seamless tie-in to the visuals, and so much presence - equal really.

We saw it on an off-day matinee and there were at least 20 other people there, which seems to portend well - I think many people just really will see anything Spielberg though. :)