Greatest Movies of All Time...for the first 15 minutes or so anyway

BLUMENKOHL

What are some of the best movies you've seen, at least for the first few minutes, before the entire film collapses or grinds to a halt?

We rewatched Star Trek: Insurrection the other night, and a) I was struck by how much the overall movie had aged so gracefully, it's really better than I remember and b) what an awesome first 15 minutes it had.

The film opens slowly enough, pastoral music, towns folk doing their thing. We pull back into the Federation duck blind, wonderful cinematography/camera work, eerie conspiracy music provided by Jerry Goldsmith. All of a sudden things go crazy, someone has started firing around these peaceful primitive people, chase occurs, a madman is ruining the study! Wait...who's the mad man?! Data!

*Gasp!*

Cut to glorious shot of the Enterprise where they're hosting a diplomatic party, the party is interrupted by the Data issue. Meanwhile Data takes on a huge cool looking alien ship with his puny shuttle and turns around. Fantastic cut to a flying camera shot of the Enterprise rip roaring through space, Goldsmith's incredible music pulsating along. Picard hammers home the urgency with his "You have two days to become experts!"

Then comes time for Picard and Worf to go after Data. Again, fantastic stuff, GREAT music by Goldsmith, some of his best action of the 90s. Awesome shuttle chase on the planet....

And then the crew beams down to the Ba'Ku planet. And the movie grinds to a slow crawl.

What follows is a very good movie, but those beginning minutes were a few notches above. Jonathan Frakes had the same issue in First Contact, magnificent opening slowing to crawl by the end.

Any other movies you can think of like that?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek The Motion Piture, It starts out pretty good (not as well paced as it should be, but still) but once you get to the cloud yeaaaooomm...vveerrryyy ssllloooww aanndd boorrinnggg.

I Am Legend

Well, I wouldn't say the film is one of the greatest of all time during those first 15 minutes, but it certainly is way better than what came after that. CG zombies and all that crap.

I really don't know why everyone constantly leaps on the zombies as being terrible. While the movement of characters like that is often a bit unnatural, there's little about their faces or expressions that shouts CGI to me.

I loved the film as a whole, but the opening to 'Inglourious Basterds' is superb! The tension built up within the scene is perfect and of course Christoph Waltz's performance is also wonderful. The way they just talk about the milk the farmer makes, then slowly reveal the sinister side to where things are going is timed really well and gives the conclusion of the scene an extra bite. A great opening which sets up the film with a bang that really stays with you :)

It's not just the CG zombies. It's the tone shift that happens then. The first few minutes give us an awesome "end of the world" feeling, which few films have managed to transcribe so well, in my opinion. It's really atmospheric, in a great way. But from the moment we see the first zombies, the film turns into a random action flick.

I'd say the tone shift happens when the woman and her child are introduced. Until that moment, the film is that "last man on earth" tale. I wouldn't necessarily call it a shift though, it feels like a natural step in the film's narrative. The CGI is bad, but I find the film to be quite solid overall.

Woah...Star Trek Insurrection?

Do you understand the point of Blume's thread? The first 15 minutes of the film start out with a really interesting premise, but after that it falls apart when we see it's Data going ballistic because of a moral hangup in his programming, or something like that. It's a bottle episode of the week stretched into a movie.

As for I Am Legend, the idea of turning the zombified humans into pure bad guys undermines the book's original idea that the zombies themselves become the new human society, and Will Smith's character -- albeit responsible for the whole mess by creating the virus -- is an anti-hero that executes these zombies. In order to distance this translation from the Heston film, it turned the movie into just another movie about killing zombies, which significantly weakened it. I didn't care what they looked like.

As for I Am Legend, the idea of turning the zombified humans into pure bad guys undermines the book's original idea that the zombies themselves become the new human society, and Will Smith's character -- albeit responsible for the whole mess by creating the virus -- is an anti-hero that executes these zombies. In order to distance this translation from the Heston film, it turned the movie into just another movie about killing zombies, which significantly weakened it. I didn't care what they looked like.

:up:

DUNE, by David Lynch. Actually, for 45 minutes, I'd say it's one of the best movies w/ imagery unlike any I've ever seen...and then the film starts to feel REALLY condensed.

And of course, the above opinion refers to the theatrical version.

Trust me, those first 45 minutes will mesmerize you (even if it doesn't always make sense), but after Paul and Jessica flee to the desert, it's every man for himself. And I'd advise you stick with the theatrical version

Saving Private Ryan - The opening Omaha assault is visceral, involving, and staged in a way that feels like one is experiencing World War II again. As soon as the action dies down, the movie slows down to a crawl and turns into atypical Spielberg fare. The last half is almost good enough to redeem the treacly nonsense that came before it, but I find the movie highly overrated. It has some searingly great moments, but it's not a great movie. (The Omaha sequence is longer than 15 minutes, but you get the idea.)

Saving Private Ryan - The opening Omaha assault is visceral, involving, and staged in a way that feels like one is experiencing World War II again. As soon as the action dies down, the movie slows down to a crawl and turns into atypical Spielberg fare. The last half is almost good enough to redeem the treacly nonsense that came before it, but I find the movie highly overrated. It has some searingly great moments, but it's not a great movie. (The Omaha sequence is longer than 15 minutes, but you get the idea.)

The only sentimental parts of the film are the very beginning, the very end, and the scene that "Omaha Beach" underscores. Overall the entire film is very restrained, quite different than most of Spielberg's films.