The most influential films of all time.

What are the most influential films ever made. I'm not talking about the most successful films; I'm talking about the real game-changers, that have altered (for whatever reason) the way we see, hear, and respond to films. Any thoughts, guys?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends. Influential IN WHAT WAY?

Sorry; not sure if I made myself clear. I mean "influential to the industry, not to individual viewers".

For instance, it could be argued that "The Robe" is a very influential film, as it is the first film to be shot and released in CinemaScope. In that sense, it was a game-changer, in that it altered the way films were presented. What about what's on-screen?

Of course, all infulential art begins with an individual being influenced, but it is what this leads on to that is important.

This is easy, King Kong. If there is a more influential film out there I don't know it. So many directors cite this as THE film that captured their interest and inspired them throughout their careers.

As a film goer no film stands higher than Star Wars. Star Wars isn't my favorite, and all the fans, well a majority of them, will tell you ESB is better, but no film in my half century plus altered my perception of film overall the way Star Wars did. It was an ephiphany.

King Kong is there, the Man Who Came to Dinner is there for comedic film purposes.

The most obvious answer is Citizen Kane - it influenced the industry in terms of having complicated chronological structures in the films and auteur driven direction and staging.

Metropolis - in how a big scale sci fi fantasy could be brought to the screen.

Gone With The Wind - how to make massive epics or stories with a huge historical backdrop.

Breathless - practically started the French new wave

Birth of a nation is an obvious one, the same with Potemkin, at least where editing is concerned. Triumph of the Will also. The Jazz Singer. Kong certainly, especially for us as it contained the first ever real film score.

More recently, Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Raiders, Jaws, The Godfather, The Searchers, Goodfellas, Se7en. Altman's movies like M*A*S*H, Snow White and Toy Story, T2.

Could go on forever really in different categories etc.

According to the SFX wizards it's:

1. Star Wars (1977)

2. Blade Runner (1982)

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

3. The Matrix (1999)

5. Jurassic Park (1993)

6. Tron (1982)

7. King Kong (1933)

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

9. Alien (1979)

10. The Abyss (1989)

Always interesting to hear it from people in the field, isn't it?

Star Wars isn't my favorite, and all the fans, well a majority of them, will tell you ESB is better,

That's because they want to rationalise their fanaticism for these kids movies by citing the one that shows that "teh dark iz better".

Well, if you're talking about technical aspects (and, say, CGI in particular), there have been THE ABYSS, TERMINATOR 2, JURASSIC PARK, LORD OF THE RINGS and AVATAR in recent years. Interesting that Cameron always seems to be in the forefront of this.

Yes, CGI in particular.

But Disney was first with Tron! (that's why leading SFX wizards voted it 6 while The Abyss stands at number 10)

Well, if you're talking about technical aspects (and, say, CGI in particular), there have been THE ABYSS, TERMINATOR 2, JURASSIC PARK, LORD OF THE RINGS and AVATAR in recent years. Interesting that Cameron always seems to be in the forefront of this.

Because he yells and people a lot and makes them cry in an effort to motivate to innovate.

I'd add "Intolerance" which was one of the first films to switch between different stories.

Also "Snow White" obviously.

I'd add "Intolerance" which was one of the first films to switch between different stories.

Also "Snow White" obviously.

Actually, Griffith's BIRTH OF A NATION (1915) predates INTOLERANCE in terms of parallell editing. There might be earlier examples too.

Yes but apparently audiences couldn't handle the editing in Intolerance (one of the reasons it bombed at the box office). The Birth of a Nation is one semi-linear story. Intolerance tells 4 different stories, each separated by hundreds years. Not inherently interesting today, but maddeningly new and complex back when the film premiered.

Yes, CGI in particular.

But Disney was first with Tron! (that's why leading SFX wizards voted it 6 while The Abyss stands at number 10)

what they think is clearly irrelevant by voting blade runner #2.

Well, Tron and those few seconds in The Abyss did show us a glimpse of the standard of today. Optical effects and scale models have been simply replaced by another technique and while I agree it's a pure technical change it also gives directors/storytellers/world creators the possibility to film the unfilmable. That's a major change since this also affects the movies we are seeing today.

Yes, CGI in particular.

what they think is clearly irrelevant by voting blade runner #2.

In that case, what you said about King Kong and the people it has influenced (who else but sfx people) is irrelevant too. With other words, you are contradicting yourself.

Alex