The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

I knew Clyne, though pretty peripherally, around the same time. And I saw Invisible Cities a few years back in NYC. I can't disagree that it's a remarkably singular work.

I knew you were at MSM around then, but it's still so strange to find these little strands from the past shared with someone on here.

I used to hate this. Thought it commercialized/sensationalized the source material way too much for my tastes. But now I find it kind of endearing. Am I growing soft?

Now which film music helped itself on it? I know there have been looters of Messiaen but i fail to remember the pieces.

Hm, I'm not aware of any scores that have Messiaen DNA in them... but I'd love to know if there are any. Sounds interesting.

Nothing Messiaen really comes to mind for me either.

I'm a Richter fan.

Haven't heard anything else from him. Is he like Johann Johannson? Not terribly fond of that guy really.

I can hear Messiaen in many of Lalo Schifrin's avant-garde scores (he studied with him and Charles Koechlin at the Paris Conservatoire at age of 20), but it's often obscured by a whole range or other influences.

Cool! I didn't know that. Not very familiar with Schifrin myself sadly. Any examples?

Now which film music helped itself on it? I know there have been looters of Messiaen but i fail to remember the pieces.

Hm, I'm not aware of any scores that have Messiaen DNA in them... but I'd love to know if there are any. Sounds interesting.

Nothing Messiaen really comes to mind for me either.

I'm a Richter fan.

Haven't heard anything else from him. Is he like Johann Johannson? Not terribly fond of that guy really.

Kind of. There's some syrupy stuff like that but I heard something recently that really impressed me. What the heck was it....

Oh yeah! His score for The Last Days On Mars. Also a fan of this album.

Cool! I didn't know that. Not very familiar with Schifrin myself sadly. Any examples?

Fuck, this one of those times I hate Youtube. Can't find the Messiaenish cues I was thinking of, since as you'd guess, it's dominated by his more popular jazzy stuff.

To cite a well known score, the jungle and temple cues from ROTLA remind me a lot of Turangalila and his other large orchestral works from that period, and of course Varése's Ameriques and Arcana.

This is one of my favourite Prokofiev pieces. I love how painfully visceral yet humane it is. You can feel the grit and snow slowly collect under ones fingernails. Wish it was performed more.

Beautiful and lyrical classical guitar piece by Anthony Phillips (Genesis) played by some youtube guy.

"This is a classical guitar solo and is taken from a massive, straggly piece of the same name (deleted before available). It is rather a curiosity item in that it contains a snippet of an old, unrecorded Genesis song* and also themes from the absent movement of "Flamingo"."

*The song Ant refers to is "Pacidy", a recorded performance of it is available on Genesis Archive 1967-75. It is an appallingly beautiful song worth to check out!

Nicely evocative music here that I am currently enjoying

The Farwell stuff is very evocative (also very film music like, sounds like the most promising bastard son of Herrmann and Williams - though Farwell preceded either one, of course). Will search out his songs and piano works on Spotify.

Sounds cool. Do you know if they will broadcast the work?

The new Eric Whitacre piece Deep Field will receive its European premiere at one of the BBC Proms concerts on 9th August 2015. The concert is one of those that has been selected for TV broadcast and will be shown on BBC4 TV on 14th August 2015.

I adore this masterpiece of Russian romanticism (Rachmaninoff's cantata, "The Bells"):

It is so gorgeous and joyful yet full of pathos. Something that is especially noteworthy is the structure...how one idea transforms to the next is so brilliant...and Williamseque.

Grab a glass of wine and listen to this gorgeous monstrosity:

PART 1:

PART 2A:

PART 2B:

PART 2C:

For those who find this interesting, here is the instrumentation:

Winds

4 Piccolos (doubling Fl. 5–8)
4 Flutes
3 Oboes
2 English Horns (doubling Ob. 4, 5)
3 Clarinets in B-flat, A
2 Clarinets in E-flat (doubling A Cl. 4, 5)
2 Bass clarinets (doubling A Cl. 6, 7)
3 Bassoons
2 Contrabassoons

Brass
10 Horns (Hns. 7-10 doubling Wagner tubas in B-flat and F)
6 Trumpets in F, B-flat & C
Bass trumpet in E-flat
Alto trombone
4 Tenor trombones
Bass trombone
Contrabass trombone
Tuba

Percussion
6 Timpani
Tenor drum
Snare drum
Bass drum
Cymbals
Triangle
Ratchet
Large Iron Chains
Tam-tam
Glockenspiel
Xylophone

Keyboards
Celesta

Voices
Narrator
Soprano (Tove)
Mezzo-soprano (Waldtaube)
2 Tenors (Waldemar & Klaus-Narr)
Bass-baritone (Peasant)

3 4-part male choruses
8-part mixed choir

Strings
4 Harps

Violins I, II (20 for each section)
Viola (16)
Violoncello (16)
Double bass (12)

There's really no reason that the Schoenberg would have reminded me of Schumann, but this inexplicably popped in my head, from the underrated "Das Paradies und die Peri"

This is gorgeous and has an almost film-like quality to it, reminding me of alternatively Shore and Horner in parts.  I've been on a Youtube Nordgren kick the last couple days, and this is so far my favorite.

This is gorgeous and has an almost film-like quality to it, reminding me of alternatively Shore and Horner in parts. I've been on a Youtube Nordgren kick the last couple days, and this is so far my favorite.

I love this Symphony - turbulent work...don't forget second half but this CD is well worth purchasing since it includes No. 5 too.