The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Some amazing works by Samuel Barber (the list could go on)...

Prayers of Kierkegaard (this is simply epic!):

Piano Concerto (one of the best of the 20th century):

Thanks! Never heard these Barber pieces before ... and I really like his violin concerto:

Some amazing works by Samuel Barber (the list could go on)...

Prayers of Kierkegaard (this is simply epic!):

Piano Concerto (one of the best of the 20th century):

Thanks! Never heard these Barber pieces before ... and I really like his violin concerto:

Yes, I also like it, especially the second and the third movements. Also the essays for orchestra are very beautiful. But my favourite among his compositions is probably "Prayers of Kierkegaard".

His Cello Concerto is also amazing. If you haven't don so, you should check out his cello sonata. That second movement is lovely.

These are on my to-do list!

This will launch you into the fifth dimension or your money back.

Favourite Mahler. But this recording is rather slow for my tastes.

One of my favourites is actually Jurowski's recording with the LPO.

Aha! So Inception rips from Mahler eh?

That hack!

;)

Can't view this at work, but if this is an ultra slowed down version, then I'm dying to find out what those pulsing off-tempo G chords sound like in the middle of the first movement.

One of my favourite choral works. And clever in the way it matches its harmonies to the lyrics. Not particularly fond of Karajan in this case though, although he was first rate Bruckner conductor in general. My favourite remains Jochum's so far (who I don't normally like too much for Bruckner), despite the 60s choir.

Incidentally, since I tend to believe that Goldsmith was a Bruckner fan (with his (loose) comparison of Total Recall to a Bruckner symphony and some of his general compositional characteristics), I also tend to think that the 4 note ostinatos in The Edge and his Voyager theme may be derived from the Te Deum.

I really love Mitsuko Uchida's Mozart piano sonatas.

And Jorge Bolet for Liszt:

Have you ever heard Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words, they are lovely piano pieces:

This rather famous aria is from the opera "Gianni Schicchi", a small (in the sense of short - less than one hour) masterpiece of humour, both in the text and in the music, and the only comic opera written by Puccini, who is my favourite opera composer. If you are interested in the whole opera, here it is (with English subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRGe9FfLtdY

I completely agree. She is one of the very best "Mozartian" pianists. Check out also the piano concerto in d minor,

I think she is very close to the ideal of the "perfect performer", at least as far as Mozart is concerned.

Something different: Luciano Berio's "Sinfonia", one of the strangest compositions that I have ever heard!

This rather famous aria is from the opera "Gianni Schicchi", a small (in the sense of short - less than one hour) masterpiece of humour, both in the text and in the music, and the only comic opera written by Puccini, who is my favourite opera composer. If you are interested in the whole opera, here it is (with English subtitles):

I'm not a fan of complete Operas, I really can't stand the poor acting of singers. ;)

Opera is pretty new for me, but I like some arias sung by Maria Callas, Luciano Pavarotti and Cecilia Bartoli.

I always thought that the music of Mozart had a very strong feminine side, and so I think he's generally best played by women. I love all the tempi choices of Mitsuko Uchida, I think she's understanding Mozart very well. At least, she understand him the way I do!

I'm not a fan of complete Operas, I really can't stand the poor acting of singers. ;)

There are opera singers who are brilliant actors.

Well, show me their Oscar!

Something different: Luciano Berio's "Sinfonia", one of the strangest compositions that I have ever heard!

Fascinating.

Her concertos are great too. Her set with Tate and the English Chamber Orchestra is outstanding. #17 is a personal favorite.

I have her CD with concertos 23 & 24. But for the moment my reference for the complete concertos is Murray Perahia.

This Sony boxset is a must have.

709279.jpg

Can anyone recommend me some works for pipe organ? I've never really heard anything likely (except, of course, the Toccata and Fugue in D minor), so I need to fill that gap. I've no particular preference for any musical period.

Can anyone recommend me some works for pipe organ? I've never really heard anything likely (except, of course, the Toccata and Fugue in D minor), so I need to fill that gap. I've no particular preference for any musical period.

I'm not an amateur of pipe organ, but few years ago I've discovered Bach's Six Trio Sonatas, BWV 525-530.

I fell in love with these works. They are melodic, inventive, well... very high-flying works!

Call me outdated or a purist, but I recommend Hemult Walcha, his stereo recordings (not the mono ones).

Look also for the six Chorals Schübler (J.S. Bach too). For these you can go with Walcha again, from his stereo cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%BCbler_Chorales

433484.JPG

Merci beaucoup, Bespin. And, don't worry, you're one of the many purists here, including me ;).

I'm looking forward to further recommendations!

Recent recordings may have a more modern organ sound, but all the players of Bach I have listened so far have big problems with rhythm and velocity.

If you look for a very good (the best?) interpretation of Toccata and Fugue in D minor, look again for Walcha, his - MONO - cycle this time. :)

Pre Bach is a whole other subject really.  Then there's Bach.

After Bach, there's a bit of a gap. The instrument was more of a continuo member than a prominent solo vehicle until the so-called Romantic period came into swing. At this point, it's all about the French. Saint-Saëns, Franck, Widor, Vierne, Dubois, Gigout, Dupre, and then later on, Langlais, Duruflé, Cochereau. Simultaneous with those earlier dudes, you had German folks like Reger who were continuing a sort of neo-classical trend. Jongen, Liszt, Mahler, and Strauss also wrote for it either solo or in orchestral contexts.

The contemporary scene is mysterious to me. I struggle to think of any notable modern composers for the organ but I'll keep trying. It's more of a patchy situation where good pieces crop up every now and then from all corners. There is a great wealth of orchestral transcription literature though. I posted some of those on the last page I believe, played on the best suited organ for that in the world.

After Bach, there's a bit of a gap. The instrument was more of a continuo member than a prominent solo vehicle until the so-called Romantic period came into swing. At this point, it's all about the French. Saint-Saëns, Franck, Widor, Vierne, Dubois, Gigout, Dupre, and then later on, Langlais, Duruflé, Cochereau. Simultaneous with those earlier dudes, you had German folks like Reger who were continuing a sort of neo-classical trend. Jongen, Liszt, Mahler, and Strauss also wrote for it either solo or in orchestral contexts.

The contemporary scene is mysterious to me. I struggle to think of any notable modern composers for the organ but I'll keep trying. It's more of a patchy situation where good pieces crop up every now and then from all corners. There is a great wealth of orchestral transcription literature though. I posted some of those on the last page I believe, played on the best suited organ for that in the world.

Among the modern, I would mention Olivier Messiaen, who wrote quite a lot for organ and was an organist himself (though I admire him mostly for some orchestral works, such as the Turangalila symphony), and G. Ligeti ("Ricercare", the mighty "Volumina", and two studies).

There is also this concerto by Poulenc:

Also, going back to the Baroque period, Handel wrote some impressive Organ Concertos (op. 4, op.7 and some others). Also, I think Pachelbel is considered a master of this medium, although I am not familiar with his works.

Call me outdated or a purist, but I recommend Hemult Walcha, his stereo recordings (not the mono ones).

No reason to apologize for this, Walcha's set of Bach organ works is, and will continue to be, the benchmark.

I also recommend Jongen's Symphonie concertante, for organ and orchestra. Great stuff.

Stephen Paulus wrote quite a bit organ music from what I remember. I heard his Grand Concerto for Organ and Orchestra, which was amazing. He unfortunately passed away recently.

Guilmant - Symphony No. 1 for Organ and Orchestra

http://www.theonion.com/articles/complete-fucking-idiot-considers-nikolai-rimskykor,38034/

BOSTON—Making an utter fool of himself in front of company Monday night, local resident and complete fucking moron Tony Penneman actually voiced aloud his opinion that Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov is “the most inventive orchestrator in the history of Russian classical music,” sources reported. “The whole of Scheherazade alone—but particularly how the fourth movement stays at once coherent and brilliant—cements his status as Russia’s master of symphonic color,” the ignorant fuckwad actually said, flapping his gums as though anyone would give a flying shit about Rimsky-Korsakov had Alexander Glazunov’s music not caught the eye of their eventual patron, Mitrofan Belyayev. “Even his lesser works like The Snow Maiden or Vera Sheloga have so much to teach today’s composer-arrangers, who no doubt owe a deep debt of gratitude to Rimsky-Korsakov for his virtuosity.” At press time, sources were plugging their ears so as not to have to hear Penneman’s dumbass proclamation that Italian librettists don’t come finer than Giuseppe Giacosa.

André Mathieu (1929-1968) : Concertino pour piano et orchestre n°2, op. 13 (1941)

André Mathieu (1929-1968) : Concerto de Québec, version pour piano solo (1941)

Just re-listening to Grey's organ superpost.

Good God... how is that achieved? Shame Hans didn't use that technique in INTERSTELLAR, or maybe he did.

To put it simply, Ligeti is a magician. If you look at this video, you can follow the score:

It's done by varying the wind pressure from the blowers. There are a few different ways that people have done that. None of them are particularly healthy for the instrument! It's a bit like those brutal extended piano techniques where you have to balance the sonic result with potential damage haha.

Just re-listening to Grey's organ superpost.

Good God... how is that achieved? Shame Hans didn't use that technique in INTERSTELLAR, or maybe he did.

To put it simply, Ligeti is a magician. If you look at this video, you can follow the score:

It's done by varying the wind pressure from the blowers. There are a few different ways that people have done that. None of them are particularly healthy for the instrument! It's a bit like those brutal extended piano techniques where you have to balance the sonic result with potential damage haha.

Fascinating. Who needs synthesizers when you can make such sounds with the organ!

Cue some smart alec who tells me the organ is a synthesizer...

Wow. I'm guessing they do that by adjusting the valves so that air flow is impeded?

What flute stop is that? Sounds very breathy. Rohr Flöte?

On mechanical organs you can half-draw stops, on electric ones you can turn the blower on and off periodically. Stuff like that.

Hard to tell what registration is used in the one I posted. The one with the score is a more stripped down sound, some very chiffy gedeckts or that sort of thing.