So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

Quote from HGW:

“Schedules and one’s expectations of scoring a film don’t always fit and this one wasn’t going to work out. I move on to another project with gratitude to have worked on many movies with Ridley Scott where the moons did indeed align and I had the chance to burrow in to the core of the project.” 

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/11/01/harry-gregson-williams-no-longer-scoring-alien-covenant/

Maybe a release date change incoming? Fox bumping the film up to summer? Given he'd already recorded parts of the score, maybe they hated everything and wanted him to start from scratch?

Scott still giving the composers a hard time, huh? Now that he's producing Villeneuve's next movie, he probably heard what Johannsson did for Arrival or BR2 and said 'I want that for Covenant too!' 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Scott still giving the composers a hard time, huh? Now that he's producing Villeneuve's next movie, he probably heard what Johannsson did for Arrival or BR2 and said 'I want that for Covenant too!' 

Funnily enough, that actually sounds exactly like what Scott would do.

A bit reminiscent of his egotistical behaviour after Blomkamp's Alien 5 started gaining serious momentum. Suddenly he needed to get Prometheus 2 off the ground with haste and reveal he wanted to do an entire trilogy of new Alien prequels to prevent it from happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple and effective, looks great. Also, called it:

On 10/11/2016 at 5:56 PM, crumbs said:

Quote from HGW:

“Schedules and one’s expectations of scoring a film don’t always fit and this one wasn’t going to work out.

Maybe a release date change incoming? Fox bumping the film up to summer?

Great news and hopefully indicates Fox are very confident in the film, making a hard-R horror/sci-fi blockbuster their showcase summer release. Surely a teaser is imminent?

And no word on the new composer yet...

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Poster not bad but terrible tagline.

I think you'll find that isn't the tagline, but the next few posters will follow the same theme with different imagery. "Hide" or "Scream" etc. with pictures of various nasties.

• 2 weeks later...

Well footage and a trailer screened for audiences in New York today, and the consensus is pretty damn positive. One thing's for sure, they aren't pulling any punches with the violence this time. This ain't no soft-R-kinda-PG13 Prometheus crap; this sounds like Ridley in full-blown visceral horror mode, as if he's trying to shock modern audiences in the way Alien shocked in the 70s.

If he's packaged it up with a lean adventure/thriller/sci-fi bent, I'm stoked to see it. It sounds like it might be the intense horror film people expected Prometheus to be.

Well I always adored A.I., and it took most people over a decade to understand how that film is masterful.

Not that Prometheus is a masterpiece, but there's no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The trailer was supposed to have aired last night, but apparently there was some miscommunication.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well I liked Prometheus despite its faults, so I don't see that happening unless it's substantially worse. :P

Brilliant! There IS another! :D

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Lots of shit movies got great positive word-of-mouth in the beginning. That's how it always start. Be cautious, crumbs, be very cautious...

I really thought you were with the Goldblum "oooh ahh" speech "and then there's running... and... screaming"

3 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I really thought you were with the Goldblum "oooh ahh" speech "and then there's running... and... screaming"

I thought the exact same thing when I first read that. :lol:

PROMETHEUS is one of the best films in the last 5 years, but A.I. is -- IMO -- THE best film since the new millennium. So they're still in different leagues, somewhat.

Did you know that I was on Norway's main news programme when the first PROMETHEUS premiered? You can't understand a single word, but here it is:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/NNFA19060112/01-06-2012#

Go to 29:25 (not sure if it plays outside Norway, though).

I only count two good moments in Prometheus and they were very short:

1) On the monitor we see a bunch of Engineers running away from something unknown to us but a massive door prevents them from escaping.

2) Idris Elba to Vickers: : "Hey, uh, Vickers. Hey, Vickers. I was wondering... Are you a robot?"  

2 hours ago, Thor said:

PROMETHEUS is one of the best films in the last 5 years,

Yes, but you're an Alien Universe freak!

The problem with Thor as a critic is that he is totally unable to get past his own prejudices or opinions about something and view something objectively.

So any Alien movie will always be at least near brilliant. Because of his love for this universe. And any complete and chronological soundtrack release will always be redundant because he dislikes the concept of them.

Oh well...

Maybe. Although I think someone would only think that if they themselves were predisposed to not like animated childrens movies.  I've read a lot of Ebert over the years and I think he was usually very good about reviewing movies in the spirit they were intended.  So maybe he handed out a lot of 3-star reviews to mediocre animated movies because they were fine and wouldn't drive an accompanying parent crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Early reports from the showreel a few weeks back said it was very similar in look to Alien/Aliens. Rusty corridors, cold, steam, etc.

Trailer should drop in the next few days so hopefully we'll get some footage released at last.

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Early reports from the showreel a few weeks back said it was very similar in look to Alien/Aliens. Rusty corridors, cold, steam, etc.

Alien and Aliens already look so different from one another.

I don't get the R versus PG-13 fixation.  A bad movie does not become good with some more gore and language.  Moreover, PG-13 is close to what an R was in the late 70s/early 80s (at least with respect to violence).  I remember people complaining when Die Hard went PG-13, and then praised that the next went back to R.  Both iterations sucked, so who cares?

In the end, Prometheus would not have been a good movie or even a better movie with more gore.  Non-compelling characters with incoherent motivations and choices were the problem.  I fear Scott is focusing on the wrong thing to make the sequel a legitimately good movie. 

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

PG-13 means concessions. We don't want that.

Making a sci-fi horror film according to PG-13 guidelines and regulations means the film makers or the studio's are more concerned with reaching a large, teenage audience rather then serving the needs of the film.