Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Ah. Good. The picture was deceiving, then (you are talking about the standard edition, right? Because I know it was on the shrink wrap for the special edition).

The stickers for both versions are on the shrink wrap. Why would they have put stickers directly on the jewel case? That would make no sense!

That was me. :wave:

Woops sorry!

I'm confused as to why a showdown between a Dwarf and an Orchestral was underscored with Nazgul music. That really took me out of the film.

I commented on this as well. The Nazgul theme for Thorin's and Azog's fight was weird.

It was a horribly odd moment in the film. That theme hasn't got anything to do with the moment at all! It is basically slow motion Thorin attacking Azog. They tried to make it more Dwarvish but it is just about as obvious quote of the Nazgûl theme as it can get. Absolutely strange call from the film makers!

The Lothlorian theme plays when Rivenhall Elves are attacking orcs?

I think those were Lorien warriors Stefan.

Nope it was Elrond and his guard attacking the Orcs. The film makes it perfectly clear. Another odd choice.

A few quick observations:

The score is quite tinkered with when you compare it to the 1.0 version of the soundtrack albums. Nothing earth shattering about that but I thought I should note it.

Also the part about Gondor Reborn at the end is true. It is a very recognizable quote of the theme. What a weird weird moment to add that theme to the emotional climax of the film.

And the final Eagle rescue music, a brilliant Nature's Reclamation statement, perhaps the biggest in the entire saga, did not make the album as it was most likely a pick up.

Wonderful stuff although in places I thought Shore had taken some of the brassier Nature material from the Isengard scenes in TTT and reworked it.

The Roast Mutton is sort of a hybrid between the two versions on the albums.

The Plan 9 Misty Mountains theme was used every friggin' time the Dwarves got to do a bit of action to a point it became irritating. Dwarves run, cue Plan9, Dwarves charge, cue Plan 9. Meh. I would have loved to hear more of original Shore material.

Oh and Radagast's quirky violin tune and other music from the Radagast the Brown track is nowhere to be heard in the film.

How come Peter jackson, who respected Shore's work so much in LOTR, and barely tinkered with it in all three film, seems to have went the Lucas way on this one? I hope we don't end up with a Battle Of Geonosis situation for the sequels.

Oh, wait. Were the Nazgul and Gondor Reborn themes tracked, or were they "rerecordings" (for lack of a better word)?

Those were redone versions. No tracking in those as far as I could distinguish.

Oh and you just wait for the awesome Bunnies of Doom scene in the film BB!

I'm guessing they did quite a lot or reworking on the last part of the film. Because they needed a new end point. That's why the Nazgul and Gondor material is there. Last minute rewriting.

Although somewhat perplexingly they threw the thematic integrity out of the window there.

Also as we meet Gollum under the Misty Mountains Shore quotes almost note for note Gollum's Menace from TTT when Gollum is first introduced. Quite fitting but it almost sounded tracked.

But the music worked quite wonderfully in the film and brought both continuity and no small amount of nostalgia to the movie.

Oh and end credits were again song (with a Plan 9 theme intro) and what sounded like tracked material from the score.

The Plan 9 Misty Mountains theme was used every friggin' time the Dwarves got to do a bit of action to a point it became irritating. Dwarves run, cue Plan9, Dwarves charge, cue Plan 9. Meh. I would have loved to hear more of original Shore material.

Shore's treatment of the Plan 9 Theme still displays his own compositional work. You make it seem like Plan 9 just kept shoving its rear up in the film. And considering Shore made it the main theme, it makes sense that it would show up.

Judging from your grumpiness, it seems even you too have come out of the film displeased.

I'm guessing they did quite a lot or reworking on the last part of the film. Because they needed a new end point. That's why the Nazgul and Gondor material is there. Last minute rewriting.

That's very disappointing. Couldn't he have written one of the Erebor themes in a similar soaring fashion?

Shore's treatment of the Plan 9 Theme still displays his own compositional work. You make it seem like Plan 9 just kept shoving its rear up in the film. And considering Shore made it the main theme, it makes sense that it would show up.

Judging from your grumpiness, it seems even you have come out displeased.

I think the Plan 9 melody was there too often almost sounding tracked when they needed some more heroic energy. The theme works very well in many instances, don't get me wrong, but there are a few instances where some variation might have spiced the proceedings. But my aggravation comes from the way the scenes were paced and how it comes out abruptly as if on a press of a button and in almost if not the same version a few times. In other words sounds tracked.

A Good Omen on the soundtracks is Shore's original take on the Eagle rescue and also for the emotional finale of the film, which uses the odd Gondor Reborn snippet in the film.

Oh and Radagast's quirky violin tune and other music from the Radagast the Brown track is nowhere to be heard in the film.

you sure about that? I think I remember hearing it but I could be wrong.

stefan?

Are you gonna review the film?

After I have digested it a bit. I just came from watching movie. In 2D.

you sure about that? I think I remember hearing it but I could be wrong.

stefan?

There was some of it intact yes. At that point I was so engrossed in hedgehogs and giant spiders I might have missed part of it. ;)

Are you gonna review the film?

After I have digested it a bit. I just came from watching movie. In 2D.

BUT GAH what did you think?!?! just some short thoughts, please! disappointed?

There was some of it intact yes. At that point I was so engrossed in hedgehogs and giant spiders I might have missed part of it. ;)

sebastian!!! but I don't think it could be heard anytime around the business at rhosgobel, if I'm not mistaken. more like during some chase or bunny sled scene.

It was a horribly odd moment in the film. That theme hasn't got anything to do with the moment at all! It is basically slow motion Thorin attacking Azog. They tried to make it more Dwarvish but it is just about as obvious quote of the Nazgûl theme as it can get. Absolutely strange call from the film makers!

:blink: Why in the world would the filmmakers ask for the Nazgul theme there, and why in the world would Howard Shore agree to write and record a new version of it? He should have fought to use a theme that made more sense.

Also the part about Gondor Reborn at the end is true. It is a very recognizable quote of the theme. What a weird weird moment to add that theme to the emotional climax of the film.

:blink: Why in the world would the filmmakers ask for the Gondor Reborn theme there, and why in the world would Howard Shore agree to write and record a new version of it? He should have fought to use a theme that made more sense.

And the final Eagle rescue music, a brilliant Nature's Reclamation statement, perhaps the biggest in the entire saga, did not make the album as it was most likely a pick up.

Awesome, bring on The Complete Recordings!

IMHO, he made that theme his own anyway. Who cares that Plan 9 came up with the original melody?

Whaaaaa?

Yes, last minute re-editing of the finale could indeed lead to them needing new music so then just tracking old recordings even, even though the themes used weren't correct. But if they had time to WRITE and RECORD new music for the ending, then they had time to write a version with themes that made sense! I don't get it!!!

Oh and end credits were again song (with a Plan 9 theme intro) and what sounded like tracked material from the score.

Whaaaa? No Dreaming Of Bag End? :crymore: It's the perfect continuation of Bilbo's Song!

The violin motif and choral part from "Radagast the Brown" is not in the movie, unfortunately.

Yes the choral material is dialled out, only orchestral material plays.

Whaaaa? No Dreaming Of Bag End? :crymore: It's the perfect continuation of Bilbo's Song!

To be honest I never stayed until the very end of the credits so it might have been there in the final minute or two. I am just glad it is on the album. :)

So is the Nature Reclamation statement from the album also in the film?

Karol

Yes it is, the shorter quick quote when

Gandalf sends another moth to fetch help.

:)

The actual grand statement of Nature's Reclamation (basically a rescoring of the opening of the Good Omen) took me a bit by surprise but it was just wonderful.

Karol

The actual grand statement of Nature's Reclamation (basically a rescoring of the opening of the Good Omen) took me a bit by surprise but it was just wonderful.

I don't know whether to be happy about it or not. I love the original opening to Good Omen track, but having another rendition of Nature's Reclamation is fine as well. :)

Karol

Is any of the Bonus tracks from the SE heard in the film like Erebor or the Dwarf-Lords?

No as far as I can remember none of the four bonus tracks appear in the film.

I don't know whether to be happy about it or not. I love the original opening to Good Omen track, but having another rendition of Nature's Reclamation is fine as well. :)

Karol

I think Shore's natural instinct was to write something new for the scene but PJ wanted something recognizable and fitting to the continuity of the saga for the Eagle Rescue. I like both approaches.

What a shame as they are some of the best tracks of the whole score, but it was probably a fan service then. Shore may even have scored and recorded some of the original film 1 scenes that were moved to Desolation of Smaug then. That may be these tracks or they are thematic suites as suggested here before.

Of course A Very Respectable Hobbit, Erebor, and The Dwarf-Lords are theme suites, its obviously just from listening to them.

Edge of the Wild though, that could be a score to an alternate cut where the company doesn't run into Wargs in between the trolls and arriving at Rivendell. A scene that was likely cut when it was only going to be 2 films.

I just read chapter 3 of The Hobbit the other day, and "the edge of the wild" is described as the area just outside of Rivendell. So it wouldn't make sense to use it to describe the area outside Mirkwood.

Also, why would they include ONE cue from a scene that used to be in Film 1 but is now in Film 2 when there are a TON of cues that would fit that description (remember, everything up through the barrels was originally in Film 1)

So I don't buy your idea. Not that I am sure I am right about my idea either, of course. But I think my idea makes more sense than yours.

I'm surprised Doug is waiting until Friday to discuss the bonus tracks. I know its because the film opens in America on Friday, but we are just one country, and its out in many other countries today. Or maybe he is just waiting until he himself sees the final film before making any comments?

I wonder. The late decision to make this into a trilogy will have effects on any possible CR releases. Will Shore present the score as featured in the film, or will it be his earlier version?

For the other two he will probably have plenty of room to adjust his original ideas. But for the first one it does look like he had to cut some corners and do some thing son the fly for the last part of the film, with a very tight schedule to work with.

Karol

Looking forward to that, but the opening of "A Good Omen" is absolutely stunning....a shame that got cut out.

It seems from with all this butchering I'm hearing about, that the music is verging on prequel territory in context here.

Well, in all fairness, there was a lot of material being ommited in the LOTR trilogy as well. Recording, re-recording, dropping, some tracking. You need to go to one of those live to projection concert to get a taste of what Shore originally intended for The Two Towers, for example.

We all knew the OST will only somewhat resemble the final music in the film, knowing the franchise history.

Karol

Well, as far as I recall, Nature's Reclamation theme was associated with Rohan in TTT only as an afterthought, because of all the tracking going on and how well it worked in the final film. Or am I wrong here?

Karol