The Death Of Film Music!

Well 2013 was nice while it lasted...

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jay-z-composing-original-score-great-gatsby-71006

If you liked the music in the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby," you'll be happy to hear Jay-Z isn't just lending a few of his songs to the soundtrack, he's composing the upcoming film's entire original score.

Yeah this has to be a joke or a huge mistake.

I'll give certain rappers credit even though I find most rap to be crap but Jay Z is one of the worst I've ever heard.

I can't wait to hear Jay-Z's awesome electronic synth theme! The whole score is probably going to be build around it. Awesome! Bring it on, Jay!

But, that's not a joke website.

Seriously?

Give me a break, English ain't my mother tongue. I think I'm allowed a free pass for that one.

We'll give you a free pass when you tell us where in Europe you're actually from!

We need to open a new thread: Do You Truly Hate Jay-Z? (Musically.)

Coupla years of this, we'll be begging for Zimmer's latest.

- Uni

:lol:

Give me a break, English ain't my mother tongue. I think I'm allowed a free pass for that one.

We'll give you a free pass when you tell us where in Europe you're actually from!

It's either Lichtenstein or Vatican City State.

Karol

I'd actually like to see a modern loyal adaptation of The Great Gatsby without the stylized trash of "Romeo + Juliet".

Who in the blue hell is Jay-Z?

It's either Lichtenstein or Vatican City State.

Vatican City! He's the pope!

No wonder he feels like he has to rant all the time, all that bottled anger ...

I'm sure he/she is from Liehctenstein, that would explain the enthusiasm towards the Middle-Earth.

If Bloodball turns out to be a she, all is forgiven!

Hornist, any chance of an avatar pic from before your face was gnawed by rats?

Craig Armstrong is still composing. It's called, now say it with me, co-llab-ora-tion. I'm honestly not surprised since his music was used in the trailer. Jay-Z is also one of two rap artists that I actually like.

Y'know . . . this thread started as a sort of tongue-in-cheek, the-sky-is-falling stab at a rapper trying to pull off a film score. We had some good laughs, shook our heads, and moved on.

Except . . . it's stuck in my mind now, and I'm beginning to wonder, "what if?" It seems everyone these days is trying to find a fresh techno angle on just about anything that moves. How long will it be, really, before this trend begins to impact the scoring industry? We've already seen Daft Punk score an entire film. What's next? Who'll be the first artist to cross the big line—a rapper/beat-boxer conductor? How soon can we expect to wait before we see some artist with a stage name ("Queen Motifah?") standing at the podium waving a baton with one hand and scratching a record with the other? What the hell's going ON in the world. . . ?!

Thanks, Steef, for opening up a whole new realm of fear for me.

- Uni

Someday we might look back and mention Jay-Z in the ranks along with Danny Elfman, Randy Newman, Hans Zimmer, and Daft Punk of artists who began in one genre and successfully stepped into film score composition.

Maybe.

Craig Armstrong is still composing. It's called, now say it with me, co-llab-ora-tion. I'm honestly not surprised since his music was used in the trailer. Jay-Z is also one of two rap artists that I actually like.

You have a link for that? All I saw was that Jay-Z was collaborating with another rapper who called it "Dope". I like Armstrong's work on Incredible Hulk and a few others but hardly have any interest in this score (or movie) now.

I'll find it when I'm home. As for Uni's irrational fear of change and progress, Daft Punk's score for Tron Legacy was one of the best of 2010.

Change? Who's afraid of change? Just 'cause I like my LP's the way they are. . . .

Now get off my lawn!

- Uni