Congo by Jerry Goldsmith (New Intrada Complete)

Jay

Got mine today. Enjoying it so far. Though obviously the films are very similar (both Jerry scores, both African expeditions, both complete crap), this one seems like a more patient and better-developed score than King Solomon's Mines.

- Uni

I dont find anything similar in these two films except the presence of jungle. King Solomon's Mines was complete crap indeed, but Congo was certainly not. Also the tone of the score is complertely different. KSM is a comedy score, and an homage to Indiana Jones, while Congo is a meant as serious score, much more like 13th Warrior or even Mummy.

I thought Congo (the movie) was crap. My opinion. But my point was to delineate between the scores, which I'm finding are definitely two distinct entities.

- Uni

I thought Congo (the movie) was crap. My opinion. But my point was to delineate between the scores, which I'm finding are definitely two distinct entities.

- Uni

Ah yes, I see. Yes I also think Congo is much more developed.

KING SOLOMON'S MINES has about thrice the set pieces and themes CONGO has. Both are not really comparable, as KSM is an 80's INDIANA JONES-clone with a leitmotivic approach while CONGO is the usual 90's Goldsmith built on small motivic cells.

KING SOLOMON'S MINES has about thrice the set pieces and themes CONGO has. Both are not really comparable, as KSM is an 80's INDIANA JONES-clone with a leitmotivic approach while CONGO is the usual 90's Goldsmith built on small motivic cells.

Well, I always thought the leitmotif function in KSM was pretty simplistic, almost used like it were a comedy.

For the rest i basically agree.

I love the juxtaposition of the main theme. Different styles combined in a very catchy theme.

It also has a greater orchestral power then Congo. It's the last score he recorded with the NPO I think.

Yes it's a great score too.

While it's not top Goldsmith, I think the added cues flesh out the music and gives a better presentation than the original album did.

Kudos to Intrada, now bring on The Ghost And The Darkness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
2 hours ago, publicist said:

Keep the Main Title, Bail Out and the Finale.

All of which are already on the OST. But then, I can't be sure as all the titles are out of order. Oh dear. ;)

Karol

• 3 months later...

I never got tie to listen to this in detail until now and i noticed the other day that most if not all of the softer cues have their volume so much amped out that the microphone noise stands out alot, along with small gentle instruments sounding as loud as the main fanfare.

I ripped it to itunes and i had to lower the volume up editorially up to 15 db.

Was any reason for this? I mean, it is unpleasant to listen to, specially with headphones. I cant believe nobody check volume issues before pressing.

The culprit cues were:

Something i lost (both)

No customs

The Symbol

Other just need to be lowered about 3-5 db,

The Mines

Villagers chant

The rapids

Really? I never had to adjust ET. Definately it must not be at this level of 15db difference.

In one cue, "amy's synth chimes" are at volume 'X' and in the next cue they are '15X', its too noticeable to be OK. I'll have to re-check my settings because i may have ripped it wrong...

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Really? I never had to adjust ET. Definately it must not be at this level of 15db difference.

In one cue, "amy's synth chimes" are at volume 'X' and in the next cue they are '15X', its too noticeable to be OK. I'll have to re-check my settings because i may have ripped it wrong...

No, you're right. There was a guy a while back who corrected this CD on The Shrine.