Michael Giacchino's Jupiter Ascending (2015)

luke905

I'm curious to see what the liner notes say!

I absolutely love this score. I put the whole album on shuffle and it's over before I know it--just like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and John Carter. It's just so grand and "epic." Majestic. I love it.

I don't know if Giacchino will be everyone else's "next John Williams," but he is certainly mine.

The could have added one, just one, bonus track....

Beyond the one bonus track that was there already?

And the additonal disc that was already there?

Fuckin' film music fans! Never satisfied, even when they get more music than usual!

It is our gift and our curse.

My copy of the Varese version arrived today! (Well, it arrived on either Friday or Saturday, but I didn't check the mail until today).

Varese did a good thing and included a bonus signed booklet PLUS a shrinkwrapped copy of the full set with its own booklet inside. Score!

At first glance the extra booklet is really no big deal. Doesn't seem to be any additional information we didn't already know in it.

There's a full page note from Giacchino but its just kind of stock fluff about how cool it was writing the score before they filmed the movie, etc.

I'll try to whip up some comparison pics tomorrow!

I could take pictures anywhere, but I tend to remember about this project while I'm sitting at work and the CDs are sitting at home

13f13e7167f771ca388ceb9244e2db79.jpg

I'm really worried now. I live in Australia and it's taking forever to get my copy amd now someone on FSM has said even though they ordered a signed copy they didn't receive one. I was order 72 but my shipment label says 216 Does anyone elses label match up? will I get a signed copy like varese had promised? arggh!

How do you figure? We already knew he wrote a bunch of music before they filmed, almost 80 minutes worth, and that it was recorded at Abbey Road. What new information does this note provide?

True, that was nice to read about the character descriptions, locations, chase scenes and a ship.... probably how we ended up with Titus Clipper!

• 1 month later...

He spelled Ludwig Wicki as Ludwig Wickie.... That should tell you everything you need to know.

Yeah the new layout is cool.

But the massive postcount (I think I was in the top 5?) I accumulated in my early years there seems to have disappeared. Oh well...

Disagree with the 5 star rating for JA and the 4 star rating for Cinderella too.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to sequence this that makes kind of sense?

Film-chronological probably doesn't work. Does it work for the après-filmic tracks only perhaps?

What about sequencing the pre-filmic cues? Were these written with some kind of order in mind?

The album doesn't really end well now, does it... (with the bonus track).

Actually, apart from that last track, this is probably the best sequence you'll ever get. It makes more sense once you watch the film. Unless they release the complete film version (with pre-film stuff reedited accordingly) or just pre-film stuff.

Pre-filming tracks were written based on vague descriptions of characters, sequences and one ship. They actually make nice listening experience on their own, in the album sequence.

Karol

You can always put in there as a penultimate track. Or you could insert it right after Scrambled Eggs. The film uses this cue early on, I think right after this cue. My memory is a bit fuzzy.

Karol