Any new Williams releases this year?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want any expansions of any kind, but I'd love to see a surprise release of a previously unreleased score -- or concert work! I haven't heard any rumours about anything this way or that way, however.

I think in the indefinitive future we will hear expansions of

THE EIGER SANCTION (Intrada)
EARTHQUAKE (Intrada)

JAWS 2 (Intrada)

DRACULA (Intrada)

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (LLL)

...possibly FAR AND AWAY and BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY and JFK, too.

I would love both Jaws albums to be cleaned up and reissiued as a 2 disc set.

I get a feeling we may see a Towering Inferno re-issue.

I don't care what they do to TLW as long as they give me a compltete version of Rescuing Sarah.

I still can't understand what is the problem with Jaws.

I thought the cd was complete.

Is there anything missing?

I guess most of the fans would love first and foremost a true remaster of the OST album. Also, the film tracks could be improved in terms of sound. Anyway, I guess we should be happy with what we have already, it's quite unlikely it will be reissued again, as sad as it may sound.

I'm confident Intrada, Varèse and LLL will release a few Williams titles over the year, but I suspect there will be more reissues than new expansions (this seems to be the norm nowadays). Let's hope for the best, btw. As long as one of the labels will give me an expanded Dracula one day, I'm happy with what I have already.

Also the Star Wars Prequels

Obviously things were going nowhere with Lucasflim in control, maybe there's a glimmer of hope things may change with Disney

The Jaws albums could stand to be improved soundwise. Maybe better material could be found in the Universal vaults.

And who knows, if Intrada or LaLaLand where to do a re-issue, maybe there are some goodies in the archives that we've never heard before like alternate takes that are worthwhile in including.

On 4/13/2013 at 6:01 PM, filmmusic said:

I still can't understand what is the problem with Jaws.

I thought the cd was complete.

Is there anything missing?

We just want remastered sound, and the film cues + LP Re-Recording sold together in one package. That's all.

The LP CD was mastered in the early 90s or so, and the film cues were mastered in 2000. Technology has come a long way since those times.

I think Jaws sounds great, what is the problem? not bright enough? too much hiss?

Not enough bite.

Oh, how droll (!). The problem with "J" (how's that for an abbreviation, Jason?!) is that it has far too much lower midrange, so I guess that Hlao-roo is right: it needs to be "brightened up" a little. To these ears, it sounds as though it was recorded at the same studio as "The Towering Inferno", and "The Eiger Sanction", and on the same console.