Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

While most critics seem to be panning Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch for not making sense, Marshall Fine says that is you want to see a film that makes sense, "see another film," because Snyder "isn't making that movie." Fine continues in his review, "There is something so unique about Snyder’s vision – right down to the most miniscule bit of background shmutz in any single frame of film – that he has, in the space of his last three films, become the most distinctive visual storyteller since Brian De Palma.

Alex

Snyder doesn't strike me as s director who is very interesting in the story perse. But more interested in how to tell it.

300, filmed in a less stylish way would be an incredibly dull movie, for instance.

I think Watchmen is the only instance so far where he actually had a great story to work with. But I'm not sure it's really a priority for him.

300, filmed in a less stylish way would be an incredibly dull movie, for instance.

It's the story of LOTR and Braveheart.

But more interested in how to tell it.

Zack Snyder: Watchmen (or 3OO, or Dawn Of The Dead) is self-aware in the sense that Watchmen references movies, comic books, pop culture in general. It knows it’s a movie. I really do like movies that ride that fine line, the razor’s edge between parody and supporting the fake movie part of the movie. I always think I’m going to make a movie that’s gritty and real, but then I make a movie that’s like an opera. I fight it at first and then that’s just the way it is.

This is what a lot of people don't get when they watch a Snyder movie. It's also the part I missed the most during Man Of Steel, because Snyder was asked to leave out the Snyderisms.

Alex

Man Of Steef is probably the Snyder film where the script hurt the end result the most.

That would be Sucker Punch. Watch it, so that you too can be an expert on Snyder.

But Sucker Punch is full fat Snyder right? Man Of Steef is the semi-skimmed version with a incoherent, talky Nolanesque script where the Director wasnt allowed to visualize many of the things that are now stated in boring dialogue.

But Sucker Punch is full fat Snyder right?

He even wrote it (when he was young)! But that is the biggest problem! It's really, really poorly written, not to mention silly. The second big problem is that WB wanted kids to see this movie too and so Snyder had to leave out graphic violence and sex. Snyder didn't have full control because Watchmen didn't perform well at the box-office.

Zack Snyder: Watchmen (or 3OO, or Dawn Of The Dead or Sucker Punch) is self-aware in the sense that Watchmen references movies, comic books, pop culture in general. It knows it’s a movie. I really do like movies that ride that fine line, the razor’s edge between parody and supporting the fake movie part of the movie. I always think I’m going to make a movie that’s gritty and real, but then I make a movie that’s like an opera. I fight it at first and then that’s just the way it is.

This is what Cremers didn't get when he watched Sucker Punch.

?

Did I ever critique Snyder's visual style in Sucker Punch? There are some really good moments in Sucker Punch (like the b&w opening scene for instance) but the film lacks the beauty of 300 or Watchmen. It's mostly very loud nervous action scenes in true shoot 'm up style. Snyder calls it his first action movie.

You have seen Ridley Scott's Legend, now watch Sucker Punch, for it's an insightful view into the mind of Zack Snyder. Remember, some people swear by it! Even our very own hard-to-please Jason likes it.

Alex

Interesting indeed. I may give this film the benefit of the doubt.

It looks far more Snyder-ish than MoS did.

It's the studio backing off Snyder after realizing they made him shit the bed in 2013. Oh, and no Goyer.

Wait... yes Goyer? Fuck.

Regardless, there seems to be more of a pulse to this world than the one in MOS.

Seems so. I'm kind of digging it, the look and direction it seems to be taking.

But I had high hopes for MoS as well...

So this kinda reverses Miller The Dark Knight Returns. In that one, Superman is mandated by the government to take down Batman. Here seems to be the other way around

Seems so. I'm kind of digging it, the look and direction it seems to be taking.

But I had high hopes for MoS as well...

Snyder has a great track record with trailers. They're often better than their accompanying films, actually.

This one I thought was decent. I like what it suggests the story is doing, namely that Superman and his impact on the world is at the center. But visually it reminded me a lot of Snyder's Watchmen which I'm no fan of. Nor am I fan of Batman's robot voice.