John Williams sketches from the 90s

Jay

JoAnne Kane Music Service continues to tease on their twitter/Facebook with pics of things we will never get

1521230_10151963263780326_692054056_n.jp

Part of The John Williams Library. Backup copies of his sketches for various films.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151963263780326&set=a.10150658466000326.393754.62282245325&type=1&theater

That box of Episode I sketches is the key we need to properly edit the complete score together!

Also, it's funny how people say "Episode I hasn't leaked because JKMS didn't do that one".... well, there it is!

JoAnne Kane Music Service continues to tease on their twitter/Facebook with pics of things we will never get

What do you mean? Every single one of those titles have had a soundtrack release (some have even had the expanded editions that you guys love so much) -- even the millennium celebration in form of the AMERICAN JOURNEY version.

Now if she'd taken a picture of the 50's and 60's stuff, on the other hand...

What do you mean? Every single one of those titles have had a soundtrack release (some have even had the expanded editions that you guys love so much) -- even the millennium celebration in form of the AMERICAN JOURNEY version.

Now if she'd taken a picture of the 50's and 60's stuff, on the other hand...

What do YOU mean? I'm talking about a release of the sheet music, for people to read and study, I said nothing about recordings of the music.

Exactly, give me AI, TPM, and CE3K in full score or sketch form and no one has to get hurt.

Damn, I was hoping for Point Man.

I know. That's why I decided you'll be the Forger.

Bastard.

What do YOU mean? I'm talking about a release of the sheet music, for people to read and study, I said nothing about recordings of the music.

Ah, I see. Misunderstood you.

Still, aren't several of these available for the public (at least parts of them)?

I'll go ask my grandchild what the complete order of TPM is then ;)

I meant when our grand-children are 50-60 years old.

I don't believe we will be there then... ;)

(hmmm...this post turned out a bit morbid. Sorry for that!)

Our grandchildren will enjoy these! (that is, if they still enjoy John Williams)

All these will be in public domain in a 100 years or so..

Depends on what further changes to copyright law will be introduced in the meantime.

Our grandchildren will enjoy these! (that is, if they still enjoy John Williams)

Depends on what further changes to copyright law will be introduced in the meantime.

What do you mean?

that we may see them sooner, or that they may not be EVER seen by the public eye?

By the way, I don't understand why all these film music scores are kept away from public. What is the worst thing that can happen?

It doesn't make any sense!

Most of the Victor Young scores are available now online. What happened? Did the world stop?

No. It's just that hundreds of people who loved these scores got a chance to study them now.

i don't understand this thing of keeping people away from knowledge...

I think it'll be pretty easy to infiltrate those archives. All we need is an Extractor, an Architect, a Point Man, a Forger and a Chemist.

Don't forget to bring also a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever!

What do you mean?

that we may see them sooner, or that they may not be EVER seen by the public eye?

Anything is possible, sadly.

That box of Episode I sketches is the key we need to properly edit the complete score together!

Also, it's funny how people say "Episode I hasn't leaked because JKMS didn't do that one".... well, there it is!

JKMS did not produce the score and parts for Phantom Menace - that was Dakota. They're just providing an archival service in this case, but having said that they may have copies of the handwritten orchestrated manuscripts too (although that's pure speculation on my part).

What do you mean?

By the way, I don't understand why all these film music scores are kept away from public.

Basically...to prevent james horner plagiarise them too easily :devil:

What do you mean?

By the way, I don't understand why all these film music scores are kept away from public. What is the worst thing that can happen?

It doesn't make any sense!

Most of the Victor Young scores are available now online. What happened? Did the world stop?

No. It's just that hundreds of people who loved these scores got a chance to study them now.

i don't understand this thing of keeping people away from knowledge...

I totally agree with you, but from what I think I understand about John Williams, I formed an opinion on that. We know he is very concerned with the way his music is presented, to the point that he wants to supervise everything about his CD releases, even combining small cues that may be completely out of chronological order to form longer tracks that he considers to be a better listening experience, or deleting "irrelevant" small cues even from complete releases (as we know, see the recent case of the full Hook, and many others). Now, a complete score sheet music would include a lot of things such as small inserts, different versions of a same cue, edits that were done just to accommodate a movie sequence that was changed, but that he would have preferred to score in a different way, etc. etc. I am pretty sure that, if it were ever possible to convince him to publish a "complete" sheet music score, he would still want to remove something, adjust something else, join cues, and who knows what else. At the end, on one side he would not like to publish the score as it is, on the other side he would need to do a very time-consuming job to make these changes, and the result is that the thing does not get done.

Note that he is not completely against publishing his sheet music: he actually is the film composer that has published the largest quantity of material in original orchestration (the Signature Editions). And even so, as we know there are always differences between these concert versions and the original film cues: he really feels that he needs to re-arrange his music for publication and concerts.

Having said this, I would be the first one to rejoice for publication of complete sheet music scores precisely as they are, with all their inserts, the alternate versions, the small insignificant cues together with the glorious ones, and everything else. But I think we need to convince the man himself!

You also have to consider the problems caused by the legal/copyright issues tied to the release of that kind of material. Keep in mind that the film score (both the recording and the sheet music) is first and foremost property of the studio/company which produced the film. Many studios let composers participate in terms of publishing rights, so that they can control at least part of the thing in that direction. But in the end they aren't the ultimate responsible--it's all up to the studios to let these things become public and/or license a copy available to purchase.

As much as it would be fascinating to have Williams' sketches available for everyone to buy, I think the best thing would be to have them all kept and archived together in a library, accessible to music scholars and students for studying purposes only.

As much as it would be fascinating to have Williams' sketches available for everyone to buy, I think the best thing would be to have them all kept and archived together in a library, accessible to American music scholars and students for studying purposes only.

Corrected.

That's how it usually is. I'd love to study the Alex North collection at UCLA, but I'm a Londoner and don't have the money to fly to the west coast. That is why I'd prefer a more democratic option than 'it belongs in a museum!'