What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me find the cure then. I want to enjoy things again!

Karol

You've come to the right place, my son. You know which of our leaders you must turn to first. In him you will find your way back to the Light.

Christopher+Nolan.jpeg

Based on 38 reviews. And dropping. It was 90% the other day.

I don't have trouble with Bond being bit goofy and light. It just doesn't sit right with this actor's already established take and the fact it's a direct sequel. It's not terrible really, just really flat and overlong. I had this deja vu feeling that was perhaps too strong, even for a Bond film. The previous films, while not loved by some, at least tried to add something into this familiar premise. This one seems to be content with doing a remix on what we've already seen in old films without really ever attempting to make it fresh or surprising.

Karol

I watched Jurassic World. It's hard to be annoyed by a movie which is so knowingly ridiculous, but it's no less depressing all the same. This movie makes the likes of Jaws and Raiders feel like the Citizen Kane of blockbusters, and I guess we now know that's exactly what they are. In a way I feel privileged to have grown up during their time, because this dumbed down moronic trash isn't fit to consider itself among their kind. It's as if the director never learned a single thing from his time watching the master and creator of blockbuster craft.

A big fat redundant MEH, then; because I did still sort of vaguely enjoy it for the watery brain juice it was. But if Star Wars MkII is made in anything like a similar style to Jurassic World we're all fucked and the next extinction event can't really get here soon enough.

Jurassic World is harmless fun. It's not a sign or statement of anything. At least it had a classically orchestral score and not an RCP one.

Do you think it's better or worse than the average superhero movie these days?

I enjoyed Jurassic World much more than I was expecting (and far more than anything from the Marvel Cinematic Universe) but that was probably because I wasn't really expecting much. And despite my reservations about Giacchino, the score is a solid merging of his sensibillities and Williams' (far better than Tomorrowland or Jupiter Asscending)

Jurassic World is harmless fun. It's not a sign or statement of anything. At least it had a classically orchestral score and not an RCP one.

Do you think it's better or worse than the average superhero movie these days?

My suspension of disbelief has never been more stretched than it was while watching Jurassic World. That's never really an issue for me in the superhero genre.

The score was just okay, it was serviceable. I at least liked the utilisation of the original themes more than I did in the last movie.

It was stupid, yeah. But I sort of liked how meta it was as well. You know, it was not only a sequel but also a movie commenting on itself, reboots and entertainment industry. Quite self-deprecating in that sense.

Karol

Well, this franchise always been kinda dumb and crass, right?

I wouldn't say that about the first two, no. They had moments of genuine suspense and felt carefully crafted, for starters. The famous T-Rex attack on the car with the kids inside is vintage Spielberg terror, for example.

It was stupid, yeah. But I sort of liked how meta it was as well. You know, it was not only a sequel but also a movie commenting on itself, reboots and entertainment industry. Quite self-deprecating in that sense.

Karol

It was this aspect which made me garner some daft modicum of enjoyment out of it. But let's be realistic: Jurassic World is not a cynical piss-take movie. It's no Starships Troopers. Don't over credit the movie with smarts it doesn't really have.

Kids are back to school, overdue bills needs paying for. And the water from bathroom is leaking into our kitchen downstairs. Floor is probably rotting. Not good.

Karol

I just redboxed the "new and improved" Poltergeist. What a complete waste of time and money. I was against a remake to my favorite horror film of all time but even still I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. I was extremely unimpressed with the score but admittedly who wouldn't be compared to Goldsmith's original. Ugh! I hated it so much.

I understand what you mean, Drax, I once saw a documentary about Apollo 13 that I thought was more effective than Hank's movie. The docu didn't have actors that begged for an Oscar.

Alex

vEoLAqK.png

Sicario - Dennis Villeneuve (2015)

Since I 100% agree with Stiff's review, I'll just quote it here:

A technically flawless, brilliantly shot film with a pitch perfect cast.

The convoy scene into Juarez is the best part of the film. With Roger Deakins' camera work switching from all encompassing areal shots to tightly framed close ups from inside the cars (you could actually feel the bumps in the road at times) Johann Johanson's soundtrack pulsating with dread. At that point Sicario promises to be a great film. Or at-least a brilliant exercise in suspense.

But unfortunately, despite having several impressive scenes after that, the film never really takes flight.

Emily Blunt is very strong in a role that actually doesnt amount to much. She's the audiences way in. We like her, we sympathize with her. But she isnt actually part of anything. She get's thrown around like a dog toy by both sides of the conflict, and then pretty much discarded. Same for her partner.

The script not only lacks character development (which I suppose is defendable, since many of the characters in the film are beyond development), but it also lacks any kind of direction or message.

The film has no moral compass, the characters arent grey, or black and white, or much of anything. They exist, they seem to serve a purpose and thats basically it.

For a film about the terrible drug war waged in Mexico and the southern states of the US, Sicario has very little to say. And even worse it doesnt seem to give it's audience anything to think about, or mull over either. I was hoping this film would give me something to think about. But no, there really isnt much there....

I gotta say though. Benicio Del Toro really get top marks for his performance here. Going from enigmatic and restraint, to relentlessly violent, yet thoughtful and gentle at the same time. He almost manages to rise from this deeply shallow movie.

Almost...

** 1/2 out of ****

Thank you.

I don't understand the scenes with the mexican cop, which the film intercuts too at several points. They didnt really add much either to the story or to the character when he eventually get involved in the action.

I don't understand the scenes with the mexican cop, which the film intercuts too at several points. They didnt really add much either to the story or to the character when he eventually get involved in the action.

To me, it felt like a cheap way to show how average Mexican families are affected by the whole drug business and to make the audience feel something.

You have this average family guy, who's not a particularly bad person (he loves his son, teaches him not to use a gun, etc.) who finds himself working in this business to provide for his family, but ends up as a casualty of this drug war even though he didn't really care for all that. It's supposed to make you feel sad, but it doesn't quite work, because it's poorly integrated into the film.

I haven't seen Sicario, so I can't defend it, but I do know that the storytelling of Prisoners was unusually strong and uncompromising. A friend of mine saw it too and we both agreed that, even though it has big Hollywood stars in it, Prisoners is an unconventional, non-Hollywood movie. Even Jay, who watches ten times more movies and TV series than either one of us, has admitted it's a 9/10 movie.

Cheers!

Alex

Yes, Villeneuve said Sicario was first big Hollywood movie.

During the first 10 minutes of Prisoners, I remember thinking, "I don't know this director but I'm really very impressed with his storytelling capabilities." Then I read in interviews that Blade Runner is probably his favorite movie.

However, I was disappointed with his next film Enemy (many people think it's great though). Maybe his star is already fading? A nine days' wonder? According to K.K., he is here to stay.

Alex

9/10 movie.

I don't like ratings like that. Both Sicario and The Martian are 93% movies on RT.

But hey, at least Spectre just dropped to 77% and it's only 44 reviews.

Not that it matters. Ratings mean nothing.

Karol

Rotten Tomatoes scores are NOT a rating!

93% simply means that 93% of critics "liked" the movie. They could have all given it a 6/10, and it would still be 93%!

It's not an average of the score they gave the film, just purely which side of the "like" or "did not like" coin they were on.