What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh. I laughed at RPO several times. It is a film with lots of moments that will take a multiple views to catch.

Well yeah. I need a 4k player. My blu ray in the living room sometimes work sometimes wont. I want a samsung to link with my tv and speaker system.

Saw Ready Player One too. Really enjoyed it, but probably not a movie you'd remember in a week's time. As much as what transpires on-screen is so much fun, it lacks gravitas after the fact. I'd say this is still Spielberg's best crowd pleaser since Tintin though (did he have any since then?). 

There is one setpiece midway through that is a real doozy. It felt like they actually used some stock footage from that old movie? Or made to look like it anyway. I've seen people comparing that sequence to the T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park in terms of impact. As much fun as this one is, I don't think it comes close to the ingenuity and execution in JP. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He's probably talking about RPO. Which isn't Nolan enough for him.

The problem I had with RPO is that it lacks heart and characters. I still don't know who Wade is and what he's like. And even why he does all this stuff. Instead, Spielberg spends the first act just explaining the rules of this world. The film doesn't give the main character any traits or personality. Probably because he is supposed to be an avatar for the audience member? Don't know. But I had hard time getting into all of this because I personally don't care much about video games so this film has no stakes for me to care much. Winning corporations is hardly exciting for me, sorry.

Having said all that, as I said before, it's entertaining in a very basic way. Once you realise how thin it is.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

The problem I had with RPO is that it lacks heart and characters. I still don't know who Wade is and what he's like. And even why he does all this stuff. Instead, Spielberg spends the first act just explaining the rules of this world. The film doesn't give the main character any traits or personality. Probably because he is supposed to be an avatar for the audience member? Don't know. But I had hard time getting into all of this because I personally don't care much about video games so this film has no stakes for me to care much. Winning corporations is hardly exciting for me, sorry.

Just saw that while vacationing in Bangkok (it just was much more comfortable in an air-conditioned cinema than out on the 32° smog-filled streets). My reaction was a bit different: after 'The Post', this was the second time in a row i felt supremely cheated in that Spielberg's undeniable gift for visual conceptualizing again was wasted on a bad screenplay (a bad book, in this case). There wasn't more to be had from the source material, and it played right into Spielberg's less sophisticated tendencies, but why oh why there isn't actually a smart author these days giving the old master a script worthy of his still rampaging talent? #sad

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Unlike Dunkirk?

You completely miss the point. Dunkirk wasn't supposed to have characters in a traditional sense.

Karol

Because that was the director's idea. He wanted to build tension without establishing characters.

I don't love that film anyway. Appreciate it on a technical level though.

Karol

ready-player-one.png

Ready Player One

Solid stuff. There's nothing remotely remarkable in terms of content, or anything that really seems worthy of Spielberg's attention. And I do agree with Karol this whole affair seems pretty beneath Spielberg to begin with. But what is at display here is the veteran's finesse and tactfulness at putting this kind of film together. He continues to demonstrate and outclass his present-day successors in staging narrative, selling characters and pulling emotional beats in a neat, entertaining package. No one plays the Hollywood crowd-pleaser formula like Spielberg does. Though I think had he spent more time on building the world outside "the Oasis" and less on anonymous, busy CG action sequences, we might have had something more interesting. Silvestri's score is one of the saving graces of the film.

P.S. 

The Shining tribute was indeed entertaining. Cracked up the whole time.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

I do wish he spent more time on building the world outside "the Oasis" (the "Stacks" seemed like a neat set to explore) and less on anonymous, busy CG action sequences. 

That would have been the movie's death knell.

Bland characters aside, I think there was more opportunity to elevate the source material outside the video game world, rather than inside it, if the film really wanted to commit to its post-dystopian setting.

On 1.4.2018 at 11:44 AM, crocodile said:

Because that was the director's idea. He wanted to build tension without establishing characters.

I think film theory has become pre-occupied with authorial intent and consistency. Would that any narrative that is: a) as the director intended and b) internally consistent in following that intetion - is by that token good. Well, if - according to this school of thought - a director intended to produce crap, and made a movie that is consistently crap - does that make it good?

I think the choice to eschew character might work on the big screen, where the spectacle is so overbearing that it is sufficient to capture the audience's attention. I don't think there's any point of watching it otherwise, which accentuates how hollow it is.

You want to talk about an immersive war movie? Try Hacksaw Ridge. Its not too much longer than Dunkirk (if anything, the actual war sequences are far shorter) and yet its like plugging into the matrix, in no small part because it has interesting characters partaking in that battle.

I hear a similar comment can be made about Ready Player One - its only good for what it is. It doesn't transcend it. When have we stopped asking films to do that?

Exactly! Its not the point of the film.

"Amateur" critics like KK and Karol seem obsessed by judging the film according to what they think it should have been, rather than what they are actually watching.

RPO is supposed to be an adventure romp guys.

True. Still can't quite wrap my head around why the novel has such a devoted fan base.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think film theory has become pre-occupied with authorial intent and consistency. Would that any narrative that is: a) as the director intended and b) internally consistent in following that intetion - is by that token good.

I didn't imply anything like that.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Exactly! Its not the point of the film.

"Amateur" critics like KK and Karol seem obsessed by judging the film according to what they think it should have been, rather than what they are actually watching.

RPO is supposed to be an adventure romp guys.

I judge films this film as such. But would also like to point out Spielberg romps used to be better.

And you need to stop putting words in my mouth.

Karol

1 minute ago, KK said:

True. Still can't quite wrap my head around why the novel has such a devoted fan base.

Because it plays the dreaded nostalgia card. Spielberg fell for it, too. The trappings are all-too obvious (there isn't more in the novel's head than a cuddly greeting card from the 80's). There are fleeting scenes of brilliance in RPO, though, you wish were attached to something with the emotional resonance of CEOTK or ET instead of a giant cable station commercial.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You're the one who's being sensitive, Karol. Maybe I hit a bit close to the bone.

The only thing I said is that you imply you know my thought process and making claims based on, well, nothing. Let's just stick to the facts, mate.

Funny thing is that I actually sort of enjoyed it. Just pointed out some flaws.

Karol

It's fun, light entertainment.

You just can't help but wonder why it was worth Spielberg's time and talent.

I know, i read your Facebook post.

My prediction was never written down 

6 minutes ago, KK said:

It's fun, light entertainment.

You just can't help but wonder why it was worth Spielberg's time and talent.

Fun, light entertainment done well is hard to do. As hard as any more "serious" film.

This is what I don't understand about the general critisism leveled at modern Spielberg films.

"War Horse? Why is he doing that? Why is he doing Lincoln? What's Tintin? Why is he wasting his time on that? Why is he doing The Post?"

What movie is he supposed to be doing?

I think it's not the question of "what". It's a problem that whatever he's doing feels half-arsed. They all seem to suffer from "I need to crank them out quick enough so I don't get bored of them" syndrome.

Karol

Munich, Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can are great movies, Tintin is a nice diversion. Nowadays i would love to see him doing Kipling (worked wonders for John Huston when his career was flagging), finally a Stephen King story or anything that isn't pedantic (US-centric) history lessons. And i agree that the scripts he loves to film lately feel like half-assed drafts that have nowhere to go, just platitudes. Who needs such movies?

But when his best bet are re-imagining of West Side Story, i have little hope.

Munich? It's well made but...

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No love for Empire Of The Sun?

Hmmm....

I haven't seen it in a long time. Loved it as a kid...watched it in my teens and lijed it less... I'm bit afraid of revisiting it... What is the Blu-ray quality like? Think I saw a £4 copy in one of the second-hamd shops.

Karol

No 'but', it was a time when the guy still did movies about interesting subjects with question marks attached, regardless if every scene was a home run (it wasn't but still). 

The Blu-ray i have looks great. This is a visually stunning movie. And remarkably emotional, if you know where to look.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

No 'but', it was a time when the guy still did movies about interesting subjects with question marks attached, regardless if every scene was a home run (it wasn't but still). 

I must be in an extreme minority by finding Spielberg's subject generally interesting? Very often quite left field. From the obscure side of the Powell crises to the pre-Watergate clash between the media and Nixon as a commentary on today's goings on. 

Even Spielberg doing a Tintin movie felt so unlikely. I find his range of interests fascinating. 

Thats what i loved about RPO. Its a loveletter from Spielberg to his passions. Films, gadgets, games.

The range, maybe. The resulting movies (after 2005)? Hardly...

As for RPO, as superficial time beater it works, it's like a benign Michael Bay movie (if such thing is possible). Its script (and resulting content) is the most sloppy thing Spielberg has submitted himself to since the days of 'Always' and '1941'. Consider how it pays lip service to things like the 'get a life' mantra without ever dramatizing the awful truth of a life wasted in virtual isolation  - and Spielberg doesn't care, either (he has to fill the perfunctory action scene quota). It's really a movie, and here i'm contradicting you, that feels like Spielberg doesn't give a shit about any of the underlying themes - the final result is a first, namely a Spielberg movie bordering on cynism, or at least directorial neglect. I suspect when he realized what he had on his hands it already was too late. I doubt that he feels very proud of it.