What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I saw Ready Player Once Again at the Cinemark theater.  Just as fun the second time. The theater experience was far superior to the Studio Movie Grill (the Applebee's of movie theaters).  The projection/3D was great and they actually turned off the god-damn lights when the movie started! (which most theaters no longer do for some reason (liability?))

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Really?

Most theaters near me only dim the wall lights when the movie starts.  It's not on full brightness or anything but it's enough to diminish the projection quality* and becomes obnoxiously more prominent the further back you sit.  

*ie poor black levels

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It isn't Netflix that decides that movies aren't 'good enough' for a theatre release. The Irishman is a Netflix production because Paramount didn't want to give Martin Scorsese the production budget he needed to make the movie (which at the time was estimated around a 100 million dollars). Netflix has more faith in Scorsese than the studios. 

Well, in this case I love Netflix! But they gotta show it on the big screen!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't snack much in the cinema either.

I guess we just got different preferences. I like to listen to the film, while you prefer the sound of other people chewing. Fair enough.

Cellphone status checks every 3 minutes are the worst offenders. When i saw RPO in Bangkok i became super-annoyed by hundreds of jittery asians having their display at 100%, virtually always checking FB, Twitter and god knows what else. 

31 minutes ago, publicist said:

Cellphone status checks every 3 minutes are the worst offenders. When i saw RPO in Bangkok i became super-annoyed by hundreds of jittery asians having their display at 100%, virtually always checking FB, Twitter and god knows what else. 

That should by punished by death!

Karol

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Who'd spend $22 for a movie ticket just to spend two hours checking social media?

Everything is bothersome to me, but I prefer it if someone is quietly reading his facebook messages than if he would eat a bag of Lay's. I just don't want to hear people makes sounds, not with crispy bags, crunching or comments.

When I go to the movie theater (which has always been very seldom), I expect and want a social experience of all of us as a crowd reacting to and engaging with this film together. If someone opens up a bag of Skittles, that's just a little noise. But when people are on their phones, I _know_ they're not experiencing the film. The two actions are hardly comparable in my mind.

Why would I care if someone in the audience doesn't watch the movie? As long as he doesn't distract other people with two hours of eating, crunching and playing with crispy bags, it's fine by me. If there's no audience, then it's even better! 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Why would I care if someone in the audience doesn't watch the movie? As long as he doesn't distract other people with two hours of eating, crunching and playing with crispy bags, it's fine by me. If there's no audience, then it's even better! 

Yes, you wouldn't want your Marvel films interrupted by such lowbrow interruptions as an occasional crinkle or chewing. Are all cinephiles misaphonic, or is it just you and other esteemed JWFans? ;)

Have said it before, but my dream cinema wouldn't sell noise-making food, would have phone-jamming tech in its screens and would throw out persistent chatters without refund. 

Laughing at the funny bits, gasping at the thrilling bits, jumping at the scary bits etc ... those are the type of audience behaviours I heartily welcome  :)

Ghost Stories - Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson's updating of the 'portmanteau' horrors of the 60s and 70s transfers successfully from stage to screen, with its unsettling atmosphere and jolting jump-scares very much intact.

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have said it before, but my dream cinema wouldn't sell noise-making food, would have phone-jamming tech in its screens and would throw out persistent chatters without refund. 

And no kids under 10 except if it's explicitly a little children's movie or the parents have a certification that they can keep them quiet!

Phone jamming tech, eh? Gee, I hope nobody falls ill and requires immediate medical attention. You know, in case someone gets their head stuck in the footrest and dies, or a masked madman shoots up the place. Gunfree zones with cellphone jammers...

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

Phone jamming tech, eh? Gee, I hope nobody falls ill and requires immediate medical attention. You know, in case someone gets their head stuck in the footrest and dies, or a masked madman shoots up the place. Gunfree zones with cellphone jammers...

I wanna say some concert venues are requiring people to put their cell phone in some kind of special lock pocket device...I get wanting to have a good concert experience, but I don't want to be treated like a kiddo who can't be trusted with a portable communication device. As you say, hope nothing bad happens!

23 minutes ago, Woj said:

Let us take a quiet moment to remember the hundreds whos feet became wedged between the seat spring mechanisms and perished between the aisles, pre Nokia times. If only Apple had been quicker on the scene, so many lives might have been saved... inside what were once the most dangerous recreational buildings on the Earth.

On 4/8/2018 at 6:09 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Wondering what the chances are of seeing A Quiet Place with an audience who actually get that BEING quiet is necessary to appreciate it properly, as opposed to 'One ticket for A Quiet Place and the largest-sized bucket/tray/bag of popcorn/nachos/individually-wrapped sweets that you've got, thanks'.      

People were absolutely silent in my theatre. They still but I couldnt hear that. I could see others jumping with the rest of us-out of the corner of my eye. 

Seriously this new generation of soft sissies who are afraid to go the movies. You are what abortions are necessary for.

I think the only time that I could have heard a pin drop, in a movie theater, is when the Mothership came over the top of Devil's Tower. It was as if all the air had been sucked out of the cinema. No-one said a ****ing word, until it had landed. That's the power of cinema, and I'm sorry to say that it's sadly lacking, at the moment.