What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found RPO a frustratingly vacuous film with pretty pictures, some funny moments and an on-the-nose commentary on social media and gaming. Harmless fun, but my back pain while watching this in the cinema was not helping matters.

Ready Player One - geeky blockbuster funtimes, courtesy of Mr Spielberg. Good to see that he's still got this sort of 'light touch' sci-fi action-adventure in him at the age of 70. 

Popcorn undoubtedly, but gourmet popcorn. I enjoyed it muchly. 

There is one flourish Williams should have scored: the short triumphant fanfare played by the animated orchestra after Wade wins the first contest. Silvestri manages, but it lacks that bit of Williams magic.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, no! Don't tell me it's one of those!

You can go alone. But horror films are designed as a shared experience.

TinTin is okay but great? 

Personally I thought Tintin was great, and a lot of fun. Had some excellent set-pieces too.

However among Spielberg's recent films, Bridge of Spies is one that I really appreciate more, each time I watch it. There are so many great little touches that I notice on repeat viewing. I'm a fan of his "dramatic" period in general, though. 

48 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I knew people who fawned over it and I was like... "why?"

'Cause it's a really fun movie that looks great, has a lot of personality and energy, and is the result of a master director utilizing a medium in such a boisterous and imaginative way that shows up any of his peers!

As far as its dismal US performance, I put a lot of the blame on the awful marketing campaigns from Paramount. Even after I saw the movie, I would occasionally see a commercial for it and think, "Man, this movie looks stupid." I sensed Ready Player One would share a similar fate, at least in terms of quality of film vs advertisement (I don't know how it's doing financially).

War Horse featured a massive amount of lame dolly-in reaction shots. It was unbearable. They can be done right, like the little boy in CE3K or John Goodman in Always. War Horse was atrocious.

405808.png

Isle of Dogs

Another charmingly Wes Anderson tale to the tee. As we had seen with Fantastic Mr. Fox, Wes is entirely at home with the animation medium and with Japanese mythology and culture as the backdrop, his latest venture serves a fun trip. As one might expect, none of it is particularly new though and its not up there with Grand Budapest Hotel. But you come out of it with a smile on your face.

Ready Player One

I didn't go in expecting the second coming of Spielberg and I certainly didn't get it. I enjoyed myself.

This feels like a movie Spielberg made in the 2000s in an alternate universe where he didn't go on to make a bunch of boring historical dramas that put me to sleep. It shows how little popcorn movie Spielberg has grown since then.

The Oasis scenes look like A.I.'s Rouge City on steroids. The real world IOI scenes were fucking Minority Report. The graphics didn't feel advanced beyond that era.

The story at its heart about Halliday being a lonely introverted antisocial guy who preferred the virtual Disneyland world to reality was realistic and relatable.

While I don't share Quint's enthusiasm for it, it didn't put me to sleep. The various references to pop culture things got to be a bit much for me. I realize that's the source material, but it was a bit too wink/nudge with that gimmick. In the case of The Shining, it was literally just ripping off iconic scenes from that movie and making them scenes in this. They call it a "reference", "homage" or "love letter", but it was just sort of a lazy ripoff.

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

More or less my thoughts, as well. Apparently social media is crucifying him for cultural appropriation now? I saw nothing wrong with the way he used Japan as the backdrop in the film.

So I saw. The whole "white saviour" allegation is way off-base. You can tell Anderson's treatment of those colours is done with affection and as a fan of the Japanese pop culture he grew up with, obviously not with the intent of cultural accuracy. Love the little Kurosawa nods.

Pacific Rim Uprising

Too many new characters packed into the film, with some half-hearted attempts at making them more dimensional. John Boyega acquits himself well and gets more to do than he has as Finn, and he has a nice sisterly chemistry with Callie Speny. The film moves at a blistering pace, meaning we don't have to wait too long for Jaeger-on-Kaiju action. It's a fun matinee film but Charlie Day is fucking annoying as the main villain. The new director doesn't bring much of his personality to the film either.

Oh, and Lorne Balfe only uses Djawadi's theme ONCE, during a montage. Bad form.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Alright!? It's a 10/10 masterpiece! Just don't watch War Horse, that's one of the worst movies ever...I couldn't rate it lowly enough.

War Horse is a far greater film than that french or belgian cartoon

12 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Alright!? It's a 10/10 masterpiece! Just don't watch War Horse, that's one of the worst movies ever...I couldn't rate it lowly enough.

It is really bad, I agree, but maybe we should leave the judging to kids below the age of 8?

10 years ago Spielberg said he has lost his interest in action movies but I guess he has to keep on doing them so he can make other movies as well.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Nope.

It's a non-statement. Neither has Spielberg been dependent on 'big' blockbusters to make hits like 'Lincoln' nor flops like 'BFG'. He makes such choices wholly by himself.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

RPO feels very similar to Who Framed Roger Rabbit to me. 

Its spiritual cousin.

WFRR features vastly more interesting characters - of which RPO has...none.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's a non-statement.

Nope. Spielberg definitely made a statement. Spielberg actually commented on the state of Hollywood. If he wants to make an action movie then finding money is no problem. If he wants to make Lincoln then it's hard to get the movie funded, yes, even for Spielberg.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Nope. Spielberg definitely made a statement. Spielberg actually commented on the state of Hollywood. If he wants to make an action movie then finding money is no problem. If he wants to make Lincoln then it's hard to get the movie funded, yes, even for Spielberg.

I'm sure he has, but it's still rubbish. Neither have his surefire blockbusters earned a prodigious lot - Minority Report and WOTW were middling hits at best, The BFG was abysmal - nor have the 'risky choices' been outright flops, on the contrary, compared to their respective budgets they mostly performed better. 

Given this track record, WB had good reason to be wary of RPO's fate, its costs including marketing easily crossing the 250 Mio $ mark. I would translate such statement more as desire to stay en courant as hit director, but it's a crap shoot. 

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like the characters! I can relate to them.

The Goon isn't good enough for you, Pub?

I don't think that's leading in a serious discussion. Roger Rabbit may have been a lark, but it's a loving tribute to film and literature archetypes. RPO is not a movie that requires characters of any depth or even characters at all. I cannot imagine that you are not able to tell the difference.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

RPO is not a movie that requires characters of any depth or even characters at all.

Every film needs good character and good drama.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He made the same statement in 1993, Alex.

"The dollars from Jurassic Park enabled me to do Schindler's List."

Exactly. And it was rubbish back then, too. He very much campaigned to do Jurassic Park because he wanted to do it. And he wanted to money it would earn. I don't think that's disreputable, but to paint himself as sensitive artist who is forced by film companies to make commercial rubbish to do a holocaust movie is a wee dishonest.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Every film needs good character and good drama.

Yeah. Like the Transformers series and tons of brainless Marvel movies. The times have changed.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

Exactly. And it was rubbish back then, too. He very much campaigned to do Jurassic Park because he wanted to do it. And he wanted to money it would earn. I don't think that's disreputable, but to paint himself as sensitive artist who is forced by film companies to make commercial rubbish to do a holocaust movie is a wee dishonest.

Indeed! I wonder if Spielberg is conflicted about being the common mans filmmaker?

He should embrace it!

"I knew I could do the action in my sleep at this point in my career (2012). In my life, the action doesn't hold any … it doesn't attract me any more." -Steven Spielberg