The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Eh, I could take or leave Kat Dennings' character. If they do remove her, though, I think they'd just have to invent a different "everyman" character to take her place - somebody not related directly to the plot (Portman) but who grounds the audience.

Could be that Dennings' ask ($$) is too much, so they'll just replace her.

James Gunn talks Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with Alison Rosen

I've been listening to her podcast for years; it's great. Though she's going through a transitional period now after being fired by Carolla so listen to some 2014 Thursday eps if you like what you hear on Monday rather than new eps

Well I listened to the episode today - I listen to Alison's podcast anyway - and it was great. Gunn gives a really really great interview - at least, did did both times on Alison's podcast, haven't listened to any others.

Here's the episode

http://alisonrosen.com/2015/02/ariynbf-358-james-gunn-returns/

Here's an article summing up part of it (about the casting of Chris Pratt) if you don't want to listen

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/02/james-gunn-on-casting-chris-pratt-i-wouldve-fought-to-have-the-first-chubby-superhero/

Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures will co-produce new Spider-Man movies, with Marvel having the option to use the character in their films as well. Sony will co-finance, distribute, and own the solo Spider-Man films -- but Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige will produce. The new Spider-Man will first appear in one of Marvel's upcoming films (likely Captain America: Civil War), followed by a solo Spidey film on July 28, 2017.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/329465-its-official-spider-man-enters-the-marvel-cinematic-universe

Best news I've heard in a while.

This works out well for everyone. Sony can make money off the backs of Marvel Studios' interconnectivity, Marvel has some control over the direction of the character and his inclusion into their universe, and the fans get what they've wanted.

Apparently, the Sony-Marvel deal with Spider-Man was a quid pro quo between Sony and Disney, with no money exchanging hands. While the new Spider-Man will debut in Civil War, Sony and Amy Pascal ultimately retain casting approval over the new actor.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-deal-sony-opts-lease-772251

Even better is that Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach's demoted executive producer credits mean they have NO creative input whatsoever. So hopefully the days of SM-3 and TASM2 are behind us.

Yeah i think he was fine for the role, better than Mcguire.

Why do they need to reboot the franchise again?

Just use Garfield, his Spiderman movies do not contradict anything in marvel universe i think.

They will have to explain his absence in New York during the Avengers, though.

But i supose that they dont want that, retroactively, 2 films they have had no involvement whatsoever end being up recognised in Marvel Phase 2. I mean they would not be able to sell a pack with the spidey movies attached to their other franchises.

Or maybe it's just that Garfield is in his early thirties and when he spiderman films come he would be half past that decade. If they want to make many more films, a 40 year old spiderman is going to be weird. So i suppose they want a teenager now in Marvel universe so he will look good until all the other marvel characters need to be re-cast too.

They could easily take the Batman Forever and soft reboot the character. A new Batman actor didn't force WB to create a new origin story, they managed quite well.

They could also show whatever back story for the new Spider-Man in the opening credits. Perhaps he was created after the Avengers saved New York, or SHIELD has been saving him.

Yea, so I'm guessing by the time he gets his own movie, he'll be Hulk all the time, for whatever reason. Maybe they'll do Planet Hulk, or have him join the GOTG in GOTG3

Racial bending?

In the Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man comic book series, which is less than five years old, essentially, Oscorp uses Parker's blood to try and replicate the Spider-Man serum. One of the new super spiders escapes and bites a black Hispanic teen, Miles Morales. When he witnesses Parker's death at the hands of the Green Goblin, Miles becomes the next Spider-Man.

Why not have both in the same universe? The comics are going to do that anyways. Give each of them their own series. You'd satisfy both sets of fans then.

If this is true, then good news to me. They're re-setting up the Sinister 6? Here's hoping they do it right. They have the right idea in not doing the origins again.

Of course, this is Latino Review, so take this with some salt.