Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

FIRE AND WATER IS AWESOME! Dat choral Bard and Family theme!

Don't you mean a choral rendition of Bilbo's theme? ;)

Bilbo, Bard, they are all one and the same blur at this point.

Well there are some chords in this music. Would that do or does it have to be specifically C-minor?

Wow! That was good! Love the return of the warg theme from auj in sons of Durin. And that thorins pride theme or whatever you call it returns after being absent in dos! Nice little quote of the fellowship theme, must be something to do with legolas.

well I sure do hope someone recorded that *shakes fist*

I think you can listen to previous broadcasts eventually.

What I heard (brief) was wonderful, Tauriel's themes really get a work out. The only reason I could think of the first TORN reviewers comments on the score would be music like this being removed from the film. That critic review that mentioned the score suggests otherwise.

I don't think anyone saw the AUJ film version eagle theme returning. Great way to provide further cohesion between the trilogy, and get all the best bits on the current album.

I hope the b part of the love theme appears in grand form!

Do you mean the Nature's Reclamation when you speak of the eagles' theme?

well I sure do hope someone recorded that *shakes fist*

I think you can listen to previous broadcasts eventually.

What I heard (brief) was wonderful, Tauriel's themes really get a work out. The only reason I could think of the first TORN reviewers comments on the score would be music like this being removed from the film. That critic review that mentioned the score suggests otherwise.

I don't think anyone saw the AUJ film version eagle theme returning. Great way to provide further cohesion between the trilogy, and get all the best bits on the current album.

I hope the b part of the love theme appears in grand form!

Do you mean the Nature's Reclamation when you speak of the eagles' theme?
Of course not! We all knew that would return.

I'm talking the flight music, with the wonderful vocal solo.

Shame it is not the original version as I like it much more than the film version. But I guess I might deign to listen to it. ;)

There's alternate music for the flight on the album? I know there's the alternate choral stuff for the eagles saving them.

Well there is the the soloist passage and choral music from 1:50 onwards and those swelling orchestral chords in A Good Omen. While the film version has that Renee Fleming nod in the eagle music somehow it did not win me over entirely. Don't know why.

I knew the Fellowship theme would return! Not sure how I feel about that...

I do! It is unawesome! Quick BBoal! Find Aragorn!

It is featured a couple of times in the Fellowship Reunited in RotK.

The house of Durin statement that opens sons of durin sounds almost identical to the statement from the finale of dos (can't remember the track, think it's when thorin is on the floating wheelbarrow), with a few added drum hits.

It's in Doug's book. I'm afraid I've not got it on me at the moment to check. Look at the table of themes.

OK, I'll try to look it up.

Timestamps, Mr. Inky, timestamps!

No it's not a heroic statement of the theme. It's more akin to the first statements in LOTR. I don't think you need to worry about it playing over some Legolas action.

It's not that I'm worried, it's just that I wish they wouldn't keep on referring to themes from LOTR that have either no reason to be here, or that are so overused that I become sick of them (like with the Shire theme). I wish the Hobbit scores really had been their own thing, with only sparse references to LOTR (the inevitable ones, like the RIvendell theme for when they arrive there, etc.).

It's not a "There and Back Again" theme. It's just the A-phrase of the fellowship theme. The melodic shape of the phrase happens to go down a tone and then back to the first pitch, leading Doug to make a witty Tolkien-related allusion in passing. It's still the fellowship theme, and nothing else.

It's in Doug's book. I'm afraid I've not got it on me at the moment to check. Look at the table of themes.

I don't know if this There and Back Again that is mentioned is the The Journey Back from RotK but here are the timestamps for it

The Fellowship Reunited

[00:00-02:16]

[07:05-07:40]

Days of the Ring

[00:00-00:42]

[05:31-05:45] Comparable to 3|4|4 The Fellowship Reunited; 7:05 - 7:40

The use of the Fellowship theme I think is for the farewell between Gandalf and Legolas...

Gandalf: We will see you Legolas Greenleaf...

(Fellowship Theme Noble rendition appears)

Legolas: Farewell Mithrandir

And yes, I have a recording of this. But with a very low qualitiy. Can I put the link?

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:
a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.
b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.
c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

The house of Durin statement that opens sons of durin sounds almost identical to the statement from the finale of dos (can't remember the track, think it's when thorin is on the floating wheelbarrow), with a few added drum hits.

No it's not a heroic statement of the theme. It's more akin to the first statements in LOTR. I don't think you need to worry about it playing over some Legolas action.

It's not that I'm worried, it's just that I wish they wouldn't keep on referring to themes from LOTR that have either no reason to be here, or that are so overused that I become sick of them (like with the Shire theme). I wish the Hobbit scores really had been their own thing, with only sparse references to LOTR (the inevitable ones, like the RIvendell theme for when they arrive there, etc.).

It's not a "There and Back Again" theme. It's just the A-phrase of the fellowship theme. The melodic shape of the phrase happens to go down a tone and then back to the first pitch, leading Doug to make a witty Tolkien-related allusion in passing. It's still the fellowship theme, and nothing else.

Indeed. Another classic case of over-classification on the fans' part.

Sons of Durin....wow. And the music for

Thorin's death

in Courage and Wisdom :crymore:

And yes, that Fellowship snippet must score the Strider reference. Poor Howard...this puts all the other call backs/forward firmly in the shade.

Yeah those pieces were kind of nice...

WHO AM I KIDDING, they were AWESOME!

Well, Sons of Durin is freaking awesome! Great job, Howard! Love the Warg Riders theme variant!

Courage and Wisdom is lovely.

Well, Sons of Durin is freaking awesome! Great job, Howard! Love the Warg Riders theme variant!

Courage and Wisdom is lovely.

I am still awaiting to hear the Nature's Reclamation from one of the tracks we heard during the London premiere. That was truly awesome!

Yea it's just a low quality recording or stream or whatever.

No worries, the real OST will be out soon