Jerry Goldsmith – the greatest action composer of all time?

Hlao-roo

"He was, and remains, the best of the very best." - Dan Hobgood  

33 members have voted

1. 1. As a body of work, is Jerry Goldmith's action music the greatest in film music history?

• Yes
    • No

I recall a YouTube video showing the 'Clever Girl' sequence with everything stripped from the soundtrack but the music -- anyone have a link or a copy? Really drives home how masterful Goldsmith's treatment of the scene is.

I remember that too! Tried searching youtube for it but came up empty; Might have been deleted.

Obviously Ricard lacks the sophistication to appreciate the brilliance of Total Recall!

Fortunately I don't need it, I have 80+ other Goldsmith scores to choose from. :)

I think Total Recall's boring.

At last! (Y)

If nothing else, I'm consistent.

I'm the opposite. I'm meh on Total Recall, while First Blood is gold.

Quite frankly, is Total Recall really...all that interesting?

Fixed.

• 2 months later...

Just saw King Solomon's Mines again and the score holds quite a bit of action cues, all of which made me enjoy the campy moments more. But I was more in awe of the music just being so much in front and center during the film, as opposed to the background approach that Hollywood prefers now. The film may not be masterpiece, a sort of poor man's Indiana Jones, but I enjoyed it a lot, and I hadn't seen it for many years. At least it had a good tone in a spoof kind of way, and the music is definitely one I call one of Jerry's most rollicking fun. It's relentlessly rhythmic and the themes are brilliant. Forced Flight is one cue that for me defines Goldsmith's 80s action sound: addictive, exciting and just a hell of a lot of fun, the kind that only he knew to write for what is admittedly a pretty ridiculous sequence.

Remember when Goldsmith used the theme from Executive Decision for the Argo away mission in Nemesis, and made it sound better than it ever did in Executive Decision itself? What a legend.

Silvestri is no slouch too

t

For whatever reason, with the exception of Lilo and Stitch, I've never been able to get into Silvestri's action music. I enjoy a lot of his more somber/dramatic music, but, at least to me, his action music seems rather forced.

Silvestri has made a definite mark with his unique voice, and even though his recent work is more miss than hit, I always get a kick out of his action sound from the 80s and 90s.

For me, Eraser (the expanded) is one that is awesome to listen to, from start to finish. And let's also not forget The Mummy Returns. :rock:

I can't vote but I have realised lately that I find myself listening and enjoying more Goldsmith's action music than Williams'.

I can't pinpoint exactly what is it musically that is more appealing to me..

Total Recall is one of the best action scores I've ever heard.

My favourite also is First Blood and Basic Instict.

Maybe it's the ostinatos? the more "accessible" sound? the simpler textures without much decorations (wws runs etc.)? Don't know yet..

I don't get why First Blood is sometimes mentioned more or held in higher regard than the sequels, which each hold quite a bit of brilliant action cues, much more so than the first one.

First Blood has never done much for me except for the Rambo theme, and I have to say First Blood: Part II and Rambo III especially are allround excellent scores.

I don't get why First Blood is sometimes mentioned more or held in higher regard than the sequels, which each hold quite a bit of brilliant action cues, much more so than the first one.

First Blood has never done much for me except for the Rambo theme, and I have to say First Blood: Part II and Rambo III especially are allround excellent scores.

maybe you're right.

Haven't listened much to them, that's why I wouldn't know..

My probably with parts II and III are mainly down to the cheesy synth patches. Although the Rambo theme's great, for me it's all about dat Rambo ostinato.

My probably with parts II and III are mainly down to the cheesy synth patches. Although the Rambo theme's great, for me it's all about dat Rambo ostinato.

Having no problem with the synths, hardly ever in any Goldsmith actually, that's why I prefer them, there's also a lot more emotion in Rambo III.

And FIRST BLOOD is an all-around more refined and polished work. It's from '82, after all.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man -- The Dude. :D

But seriously, maybe it's because I've loved Rambo III (the film) all through my teenage years and becoming so familiar with the score, it's harder for me to prefer the first one with less themes, action, that Goldsmith magic (IMO), also because it was much later I heard it for the first time. I had already discovered and loved Part II before I finally gave First Blood a chance, which is much more suspense than action anyway.

So for me it will always be: Rambo III > First Blood: Part II > First Blood.

Having no problem with the synths, hardly ever in any Goldsmith actually, that's why I prefer them, there's also a lot more emotion in Rambo III.

The synths are the general decline in quality post-1983 are big reason why I prefer Goldsmith's earlier scores. I can't stand stuff like THE 13TH WARRIOR. Goldsmith magic = 1962-1983.

Also, the terrible mushy recording of RAMBIO III brings it it down a lot.

It IS very easy to dismiss these latter scores as rather obvious and simple due to much toned-down orchestration but i feel that's more a young-and-hungry-for-adventure-person's stance that needs to listen to tons of Goldenthal et al. to get that out of the system. The truth is that to arrive at a construction like FIRST KNIGHT or 13TH WARRIOR you must be a hell of a composer just to know how what to leave off and bring to the table. I have heard so many badly-conceived adventure scores that have ten times the complexity but still only a quarter of content of FK & Co.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man -- The Dude. :D

I am not going out to convince you that Rambo 2&3 are musically inferior scientifically, but they are. More blunt, more leaning on simple effects and in-your-face-values - which could very well be why you like them more.

FIRST BLOOD's relative brevity also works in its advantage.

True, but it doesn't have a lot going for it either. Just bland, bombastic, epicness, like FIRST KNIGHT.

13th Warrior is much, much better than I used to give it credit for. I still don't think it's as great as The Mummy, though.

Well, you can't beat PREDATOR or JUDGE DREDD though Silvestri never was on or near the same plane as Goldsmith as far as compositional chops go.

He might not be. But he's one of the few composers out there who can compete with Goldsmith's testosterone writing.

Not win, mind you.

Even some of his newer stuff is strong:

Karol

Well, you can't beat PREDATOR or JUDGE DREDD though Silvestri never was on or near the same plane as Goldsmith as far as compositional chops go.

He might not be. But he's one of the few composers out there who can compete with Goldsmith's testosterone writing.

Not win, mind you.

Even some of his newer stuff is strong:

Karol

Seconded.

Zemeckis managed to get the best out of Silvestri. His trio of animated features contain wonderful action cues, especially The Polar Express and Beowulf.

Re: That Christmas Carol track

Meh. It sounds about as generic ye olde orchestra action music as most of today's music sounds like generic blockbuster orchestra/synth music. The most endearing moments aren't even Silvestri's ideas.

No style, no flair. Just faceless orchestral music. That aptly describes a lot of Silvestri's works.

I honestly don't think I could. Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Elfman, Thomas Newman (zzzZZZzzzz), hell even Giacchino have a unique musical DNA.

I couldn't tell Debney apart from Silvestri if you held a gun to my head. ;)

They just sorta...write music that emulates the prevailing musical winds.