Underrated Sequels/Prequels

Temple Raider

The Temple Of Doom talk in the Indy ranking thread of mine got me thinking about other underrated movie sequels and prequels that you find underrated and get undeserved hate and flack, which can you think of? They don't have to be as good as the firsts or better, just simply good sequels/prequels you think get the short end of the stick and don't deserve it. Some I find really underrated and enjoy a lot:

Ghostbusters II

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

Predator 2

Jaws 2

Iron Man 2

Die Hard 2

RoboCop 2

Batman Returns

To name several. I always really enjoyed these and am often baffled at the poor reception they get.

I'd definitely have to vote Predator 2, most people seem to basically pretend it never existed bit I think it's really quite good! Infinitely better than Predators, for sure!

While it's hard to argue that it's anything but a distant third in the trilogy, it's a completely worthy finale with some all-time great scenes and memorable images, Michael's confession and the entire opera sequence chief among them. There's so much haunting and beautiful stuff in there and it was 100% worth making just to witness Al Pacino bringing that perfectly realized character to his third act. We all know Francis did it for the money but it doesn't feel that way to me.

I don't particularly care about how things are rated on this or that site. I'm going by what I see people say about films around the internet.

I also don't particularly believe in the concept of "overrated/underrated" anyway, as it's just a sly way of suggesting that you have a privileged viewpoint and that everyone else feels wrongly about things. One's opinion is not an absolute standard against which to measure the validity of everyone else's.

A quick gander at the Urban Dictionary yields apt results.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Overrated&defid=541873

That was the one with the flying Gremlin making the Batman insignia in Christopher Lee's lab, Jerry Goldsmith and Phoebe Cates with a bob hairstyle, right?

Indeed it is. I've always loved it myself, even moreso than the first.

I still think it was bold of Nolan to portray the Bats in the way he did. He's a man, not a superman. I enjoyed TDKR more than TDK but I've only seen it once so I still can change my mind about it. I don't really care for Batman in TDK.

Why do I care what critics think?

Everyone I know in real life was massively disappointed by TDKR, myself included. The first two films where so good, the concluding chapter was a huge disappointment. Long, boring, repetitive, uninteresting, Batman's barely in it, cast doesn't seem interested, villain was boring, surprise twist wasn't surprising or exciting, just a mess. I'm glad Nolan is moving on to other projects and not sticking in this universe.

Everyone I know in real life was massively disappointed by TDKR, myself included.

You and your friends again? You know, there's a reason why they are your friends. ;)

Alex kind of liked the film, if I remember correctly. So did Stefan. Joey too, I think. I like it, too. It has its weakness, certainly, but, for the most part, it's a sound film - I like that Batman is past its prime in it (it's a bold move). And it's also absolutely massive one and it feels like it - the location shooting, practical effects definitely sell it as a proper Hollywood extravaganza, not CG Marvel or The Hobbit type of thing, but the real thing. It feels like a FILM. It all does matter. If anything film had a mixed reaction, but got 88% on RT and made more money than TDK worldwide. And it would have made more in America if not for that tragedy. But then, $448,139,099 is shitloads anyway.

Karol

Most of the qualms I had with it initially, all very minor, disappeared by the second or third viewing.

I think the biggest issue it faced had nothing to do with the film itself: peoples' expectations.