The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Matt C said:

... but will plan on directing "The Last Photograph" late next year in the interim.

Best news of the week! Free Snyder from the chains of Marvel!

breaking-chain.jpg

David Ayer, Margot Robbie to reteam on "Gotham City Sirens"

This was the in-development Harley Quinn film announced a while back, with Ayer directing and producing the film. Robbie is also executive producing the film, written by Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

I don't think Suicide Squid was great or even necessarily good by any measure, but it was FUN, so it worked a lot better for me than Snyder's movies in this universe.  I don't mind Ayer getting another crack at this.

Like Man of Steel, it was a headache inducing mess.  Unlike Man of Steel, there were colors and some of the characters seemed to be enjoying themselves.  So a step up, IMO.

After Man of Steel and the trailers, still haven't been able to bring myself to watch BvS.  Some day soon, I'll probably crack at it.

Warners promotes Toby Emmerich to Chief Content Officer, ousts Greg Silverman

Heads are still rolling at the studio, for sure. Emmerich, who headed the New Line label, will share greenlight authority with Kevin Tsujihara.

The studio will definitely be tightening the purse strings on future DC films, that's for sure.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is Snyder's head rolling too?

No, not yet apparently. He and his wife still have a first-look deal at WB with their Cruel and Unusual Films banner. I could see WB throwing a lot of money at him if Justice League is that film that they wanted Batman v. Superman to be: a $1 billion dollar film loved by audiences and critics. That's a BIG if.

Considering that Silverman was a pain in the ass to David Ayer during post-production on Suicide Squad, his ouster was likely the catalyst for Ayer returning for Gotham City Sirens. I won't be surprised if we get news regarding a new Flash director soon, these industry news tend to come in threes.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

And meaningless dream sequences write themselves!

I was digging the dream sequence where a completely in-character Batman shoots a bunch of guys in the desert, but then I had no clue what was going on when a guy started yelling "It's Lois! Lois Lane! You were right about him!"

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Who's the metal guy in the middle?  Forgive me, I don't actually follow comics stuff much

Cyborg.  The guy Joe Morton (from Terminator 2) was seen working on in Batman V Superman

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Cyborg.  The guy Joe Morton (from Terminator 2) was seen working on in Batman V Superman

Thanks.  Didn't see BvS and I actually won't see this either.  I decided quite a while ago to never see anything Zack Snyder does ever again.  Wonder Woman looks like it could be good though!

11 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Wait a minute. Are they redoing the mugging scene from Superman: The Movie?

Patty Jenkins loves Superman: The Movie. It was one of the films that made her want to pursue film directing as a career.

It's a nice little nod to a film she loves.

David Goyer and Justin Rhodes are co-writing "Green Lantern Corps", based on a story by Goyer & Geoff Johns

http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

The tone is described as Lethal Weapon in space, and the studio is working aggressively to get the film up and running.

Green Lantern's script was worse than any of Goyer's scripts, so any script Goyer provides will be an improvement. They tried to cram so much in the narrative, with a poor set of villains, terrible pacing, and terrible CGI. Reynolds wasn't bad in the role--he had decent chemistry with future wife Blake Lively--but he just wasn't Hal Jordan. He knows this, and he's busy with Deadpool sequels (which is a much better fit for him).

If WB wants to reuse any actors from the 2011 film, go with the best parts: Mark Strong's Sinestro and Geoffrey Rush's Tomar-Re. 

Of course he will; There's a snowballs chance in hell he'll actually do it, but DC gets free press (it worked on you!) if they say they are considering it

What gives these casting rumors more credibility is that the author of the article (Umberto Gonzalez) broke numerous several DC and Marvel casting scoops while he was blogging for Latino-Review and Heroic Hollywood. Let me list a few:

Christian Bale in Batman Begins, Brandon Routh in Superman Returns, Henry Cavill in Man of Steel, Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, and half of Suicide Squad's cast like Will Smith and Margot Robbie.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Bradley Cooper were in the running to play Hal Jordan back in 2010 before Reynolds was cast, so I'm not surprised they're going back to the candidates they originally tested. Armie Hammer will likely have an advantage since he's the youngest actor (30) in the running, while McHale is 45 and Cruise being 54.