Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

That clip from STD is just more proof TNG is better than everything. I love Rosa Salazar, but the dialogue they've given her is abysmal. That's not Star Trek. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the best compilation album of music from ST films? I'm primarily interested in Goldsmith's contributions, but it's acceptable that the album also contains music by the other composers.

This album got me into Star Trek music, though it only covers the first 5 films.

Star_Trek_-_The_Astral_Symphony_cover.jpg

This is a pretty good compilation too. Albeit a rerecording.

810EEfBGRRL._SL1417_.jpg

If Goldsmith is your interest, I think you’re better off getting the LLL TMP set. It’s really an absolute must, that you’ll want eventually anyway. Kunzel does fine with it, but there’s nothing quite like the film recording.

The only think you really need from Kunzel is the Menagerie Suite, which can be gotten for pennies on the older “Time Warp” CD.

It’s the concert arrangement of Alexander Courage’s score for the original TOS pilot (The Menagerie, now known as The Cage, but at the time Courage wrote the score it was The Menagerie). Courage made this arrangement for the Kunzel album. The full episode score is a bit of a snoozer, but this arrangement of the score’s highlights really rocks, and of course the much bigger orchestra helps.

I know you said you were interested in the film scores, but, I think it’s really interesting to hear the original TOS fanfare and theme in the context of its original (sort of), melancholy score.

Prague has recorded it too; not as successfully, of course.

Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and Beyond are really Star Trek so they are not better than everything.

I will give Giacchino Props for his contribution in short Treks Ephraim and Dot is quite good directorially and musically. He is best at taking previously composed Star Trek music and respinning it into something a bit different. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please whoever has the power to make this happen - Joe Keery, the guy from Stranger Things is the long lost clone of John de Lancie! Q can be reborn!

images (4).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

original.jpg

f672894ff7790e00b8ae4dabfca2270d.jpg

It's very flawed and honestly a pretty weird flick, but it's still watchable and has a cool space battle and score.

In my opinion, it's the first one where the filmmakers no longer "got" Star Trek and were just making shitty action movies. As flawed as you may find the earlier TNG flicks, the ingredients are all there, even if they may have added in some unnecessary bits and maybe didn't mix it all together properly.

They all have their moments. Kirk and Picard meeting, first contact, the cast actually having fun in a very TNG-type story. Nemesis is mostly dark and depressing. It needed less stabbing and Buffy vampires and more "The honor was mine, Captain."

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's very flawed and honestly a pretty weird flick, but it's still watchable and has a cool space battle and score.

Isn't it supposed to be JG's most disappointing ST score?