Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

Back in 2001, I got a bunch of college friends together for the debut of Enterprise. As the theme song played, I think everyone in the room was like, “What is this shit? This isn’t Star Trek!” and we all burst out into singing Jerry Goldsmith’s TNG theme (Na, na na naa, na na NAA!). I don’t think any of us were hardcore Trekkies at the time, but everyone knew the TNG theme, and it was definitive of Star Trek.

Both franchises appear to be past their prime. I've not seen DISCOVERY, nor anything from PICARD, so I can't comment on those, but Steef is right: the TNG crew deserved a better last film. Although I'll go on record by saying that it's my favourite TNG film, NEMESIS has a lot of flaws. It promises a lot, but simply doesn't deliver. Despite all that, I still think that it's a worthy film. Just don't ask the cast what they think about Stuart Baird.

I remember thinking that Nemesis was going to be a mirror universe movie or something. It seemed to make the most sense judging from the previews. There was a younger Picard getting it on with Troi, another Data. Boy was I wrong. The whole notion that Picard was cloned by the Romulans (who don't do anything in this movie) and then forced into slave labor is retarded. It's a truly horribly written movie. Brent Spiner's friend is an idiot. 

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite Voyager episodes involve the Doctor and Seven of Nine. I would rank the one where he gives her dating advice, the one where that planet is obsessed with his singing and the one where the Doctor is in an alien museum in the future that portrays Voyager as an evil warship right at the top of my list.

Star Trek newbie here. I've enjoyed all 3 episodes of Picard so far and have begun watching TNG based on various online lists of best episodes and episodes referenced in Picard so far. I've also watched a couple episodes of the original series and others here and there. Just started watching Enterprise and what the hell were they thinking with that opening title song choice? It feels completely off-brand. I really wonder what marketing insight or creative spark led the showrunners to think that song was a good choice for a Star Trek show?

I think Enterprise being off-brand was kind of the point. They didn’t even title it Star Trek, originally. After TNG, DS9, and VOY, they wanted to create a new entry point where it was as clear as possible that you didn’t need to have seen those shows and be familiar with all their lore.

Unfortunately, it just came across as lazy, tired retread. TOS is a hundred times more daring and more iconic.

A quick ST:V question: what does Spock say to Sybok, upon seeing him, after the Enterprise crew is captured, on Nimbus III?

Also...can someone please explain the economics of the 23rd/24th centuries?! There's no money, but...Quark has a bar, and didn't Sisko's dad own a restaurant, in Paris?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also...can someone please explain the economics of the 23rd/24th centuries?! There's no money, but...Quark has a bar, and didn't Sisko's dad own a restaurant, in Paris?

Why would the lack of money prevent someone from owning a restaurant? 

This lack of money also is a thing in the Federation societies: in other words, species like the Ferengi, Quark's species, are not bound by the hippie principle-driven economies of the Federation.

Also, the “no money” thing is N/A to TOS (23rd c.). There are many, many instances in the series when they trader and barter and buy and sell and invest (yes, even within the Federation). The only caveat is that they don’t use physical money, only credits (hence they can’t bribed with jewels in “Catspaw” and express mild surprise that they still use “money” in the 1980s in The Voyage Home even though they understood all about it in the 1930s in “City on the Edge of Forever”).

Sisko's restaurant was in New Orleans.

Picard's family also owned a vineyard.

Captain Kirk says that he sold his house when he was in the Nexus.

In the TNG pilot, Beverly buys fabric.

It's just one of those things. It's curious, but I've never really questioned it because it's not that important. I remember DS9 had a line from Nog that called the whole idea out.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think the “no money” idea is more along the lines of not needing it for the basic necessities of life; food, clothing, shelter, etc, within the Federation.  With the invention of food and matter replicators, a person’s needs are always met.  However, money is clearly needed for anything extra, or outside Federation society.

Still making my way through Voyager season 6, one of the show's best.  Last night I watched the episode where a memorial in remembrance of a massacre implants the experiences of the soldiers into the memories of anyone who comes near the planet, effectively "infecting" them with PTSD.  Very interesting idea.  I love how the episode thought about PTSD and the very purpose of a memorial.

Stefan and I argued today over Goldsmith's Enterprise theme. 

I said it is only for Enterprise 

He disagrees as I figure most do. But The Enterprise theme has an emotional attachment to Kirk's refit that is inappropriate for the D or E.

donny-versiga-46769090555-a6f321e41b-o.jpg

It wasn't part of the conversation.  But Horner's scores along with Goldsmiths first are the 3 best film scores for Star trek and essentials for any born 1960 or later

What about the 1701-A? Where do you land on that, Joe?

To me, it’s all the same ship. Not technically, but thematically. They wouldn’t keep naming it the same if they didn’t mean it to be symbolically the same ship reborn, its mission continued.

There's nothing wrong with the Enterprise theme being for the Enterprise-D and E as well. It's the theme for the Enterprise in GENERAL it doesn't matter if it's the 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B etc.... At least that's my take on it.

Saying something that it's strictly for Kirk's Enterprise is being way too nit picky.

49 minutes ago, Trent B said:

There's nothing wrong with the Enterprise theme being for the Enterprise-D and E as well. It's the theme for the Enterprise in GENERAL it doesn't matter if it's the 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B etc.... At least that's my take on it.

Saying something that it's strictly for Kirk's Enterprise is being way too nit picky.

In 1979 it was written for ONE SHIP not D or E which hadn't even been thought of.  Call it nit picky. 

YESA Pellaeon I agree with you. 

I hear the Enterprise and I see a beautiful ship not the D or E, neither which are beautiful ships like Kirks.

Btw I feel Jerry and John ended Star Trek and Star Wars repectively with pure mediocrity. Neither are good scores. Both are so disappointing. 

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Stefan and I argued today over Goldsmith's Enterprise theme. 

I said it is only for this ship

USS_Enterprise-A_quarter.jpg

But The Enterprise theme has an emotional attachment to Kirk's refit that is inappropriate for the D or E.

Joseph... 

If the theme was meant for Kirk's refit Enterprise, why did you post a photo of the A? 

no-bloody-a-b-c-or-d-scotty-prefers-e-22562970_1.png

By mistake as I picked a photo that said refit 

Who is this Joseph you refer too?

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If the show was filmed at 24 FPS what does rendering it at 60 even do?

Make the motion closer to how the human eye sees? 

This'll no doubt be interpolated. YouTube occasionally recommends TNG clips to me ever since I watched a couple of amusing Jonathan Frakes/Riker vids ages ago. Noticed this one wasn't running at the standard frame rate.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Other than being a tad blurry, with fast movement, it looks ok. The picture is nice and sharp.

Yes, I find the fidelity of the image preferable over the blurry originals. TNG was always so "US TV" in that way. I don't remember old UK television looking quite like that, and I'll always associate 90s Star Trek with that pre HD era of TV photography. This clip looks better than that, IMO.

“Recorded directly from a tv with upscaling enabled.” Yes, I do hate the soap opera effect. We were watching Star Wars at my sister’s house a few weeks ago with this setting enabled, and it drove me nuts!

I have a question about the Star Trek: Voyager Main Title Extended Version (Jerry Goldsmith).

Is it a mashup of the beginning and end credits, or, is it the original and they chopped it up or otherwise rearranged it for TV, or did he do all three versions himself?

• 2 weeks later...

A quick STAR TREK IV question:

In TMP, Scotty says "We can have you back on Vulcan, in four days", yet in TVH, Sulu says that it's "1.6 hrs, to Earth, present speed". So...how come the discrepancy - and don't tell me that they have been travelling for three days?

Let’s see. Vulcan (a fictional planet which orbits the real star 40 Eridani) is 16 or 17 light years away. Let’s call it 15 to keep things simple. Now let’s check my handy-dandy TOS-era table…

warp.png

in TOS, Warp 6 is the maximum safe cruising speed; Warp 8 is the maximum speed if you don’t mind ruining your engines. I’m not 100% certain, but I think the refit upgrades in TMP allow them to sustain Warp 8 safely, and Warp 9 if they push it. Let’s say Scotty is bragging that the refit Enterprise “can” go Warp 10 — 1,000 times the speed of light. In that case, she can make the trip in 5 days. Kind of ludicrous, still, considering they were talking about “a proper shakedown cruise,” and all the problems they had had with the incomplete upgrade throughout the movie.