Mad Max: Fury Road - Academy Awards 2016 Best Picture Nominee (BIGGEST OSCAR SNUB EVER!!)

BloodBoal

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else notice Verdi's requiem in the movie score? Classy touch to add Dies Irae wrath in the middle of mayhem. Also, was one of the brides the same model in Transformers 3?

That recurrent downwards motif that is heard, for example, here

https://youtu.be/MgYnKu8RYAU?t=19

I think it is sampled, or at least derived, from this instance of Verdi's Dies Irae (at the 6 seconds mark, more or less)

https://youtu.be/ZDFFHaz9GsY=6

I'd like to know what more musically educated and sensible members of this forum make of this

Yeah this might be the best Mad Max score, oddly enough. I do like Jarre's, but was never a fan of May's.

May's first is too overbearing. But the one for The Road Warrior is rather good. Though many see it is a holy grail and thats far too much praise.

Holkenborgs score works remarkably well in the film. But it doesn't have much of anything when it comes to sophistication or complexity.

If you can't hear sophistication in Immortan's Citadel (the score's standout track) then you're deaf.

Well, by the time you reach that track, you already are, thanks to Holkenborg's overly loud music.

Can't understand the attention this score has been getting. To me it's merely a whole load of clichéd, abrasive stock cinematic gestures repeated ad nauseam... Well mixed and produced, however. I suspect that for some, Junkie's name is influencing how the work is perceived.

I would never buy or listen to that type of score separate from the movie. It did work perfectly for the film, though. Not every score needs to be a conceptual masterpiece of standalone art.

Oh yeah, the music. I think it generally added very little. True, this approach worked well with the film's primal brutality. But then, it's just one more thing on top, nothing that really enriches it any. Everything the music says was already on screen before. I'm not saying you should have a 19th century orchestra in there with dozen themes flying all around. But there wasn't anything particularly imaginative or original about this score, even in its own niche.

So, the score neither made it worse nor better. It's just there, doing exactly what you'd imagine it would.

Karol

I would never buy or listen to that type of score separate from the movie. It did work perfectly for the film, though. Not every score needs to be a conceptual masterpiece of standalone art.

I completely agree with this sentiment. In fact, some of my favorite movies have scores I either have no interest in listening to or flat out complete dislike. But I can still love the films.

Man, its glorious when you love both film and score, though!

Watched bits of Fury Road the other day and I agree. Orchestra is a no-no.

Maybe Elliot Goldenthal could do something really wild with this? Think S.W.A.T.

Oh yeah, forgot, Warner Bros.

Karol

But, to be quite honest, I have no idea what kind of music you could use instead.

Karol

The over the top orchestral scores for the first two films also stand out a bit as a sore thumb.

I disagree. It adds to the the films since they are over the top with a serious undercurrent.

Wow, is he really that small???

Can't understand the attention this score has been getting. To me it's merely a whole load of clichéd, abrasive stock cinematic gestures repeated ad nauseam... Well mixed and produced, however. I suspect that for some, Junkie's name is influencing how the work is perceived.

Or maybe some just... like the music? I get it though, it's tough to "understand" that your perspective and your experience is only a drop in the ocean.

I'm 6'5" (~198cm) which is tall enough that it always freaks me out to see somebody significantly taller than I am (and then I realize that's how all the rest of you people must feel all the time).

I'm about 6'1", which is fairly common a height for males around here.

Hardy is about 5'9 (175 cm). Not tall at all, he looks bigger on screen.

I'm taller than him. ;)

Karol

Yes, he looked huge in TDKR.