2015 Summer Box Office thread

Jay

Which film will make the most money this summer?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which film will make the most money this summer?

• Furious 7 (April 3)
    • The Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1)
    • Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15)
    • Tomorrowland (May 22)
    • Poltergeist (May 22)
    • San Andreas (May 29)
    • Entourage (Jun 3)
    • Spy (Jun 5)
    • Jurassic World (Jun 12)
    • Inside Out (Jun 19)
    • Ted 2 (Jun 26)
    • Terminator Genisys (Jul 1)
    • Magic Mike XXL (Jul 1)
    • Minions (Jul 10)
    • Ant-man (Jul 17)
    • Pixels (Jul 24)
    • Vacation (Jul 29)
    • Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Jul 31)
    • Fantastic Four (Aug 7)
    • Shaun The Sheep (Aug 7)
    • The Man From UNCLE (Aug 14)
    • Hitman: Agent 47 (Aug 21)

As soon as I see projected images from the movie appear behind the orchestra I lose all respect for the performance. I stormed out of The Lord of the Rings Symphony in a huff when Howard Shore felt the need to have them emblazoned up high in the Royal Albert Hall.

The Return Of The King was the only time I actually saw that happening.

The last time I saw that happening was actually The Battle of the Five Armies...

I don't find it weird. People cheer when they watch football at home. What's the difference?

Film is fiction, sports is real.

That's the difference, Einstein.

And worldwide, Jurassic World will make over $500 million this weekend, the biggest worldwide opening of all time

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jurassic-world-global-box-office-record-1201519430/

50% of the international take were 3D showings

I saw it in 3D because I had to. The 3D is fine btw, but as usual, after 10 minutes I dont even notice it.

My experience was 100% the same as yours in all ways

I watched it in 2D. Didn't seem like it would benefit from 3D.

But then, what does? Beside stuff like Avatar and Life of Pi?

These films benefitted from 3D? How so?

Let's put it differently. I've seen them (or parts of) in 2D later on. And... they didn't work.

Karol

Life of Pi is a very nice film indeed. The blu ray looks amazing, too. Bright and colorful

Have you seen it in 3D?

No.

I did see Avatar both in 3D and 2D and didn't think there was any difference in the experience.

It was all the exprience. The film itself is lame.

Karol

There were cooler 3D effects in the trailer I saw for The Walk than there was in Jurassic World

I generally does. But some films, like those two I mentioned, use it a bit more imaginatively. Maybe because they create fantastical looking worlds that offer opportunites to create infinite layers of depth. And they're not dark looking (like Jurassic World).

Karol

And worldwide, Jurassic World will make over $500 million this weekend, the biggest worldwide opening of all time

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jurassic-world-global-box-office-record-1201519430/

50% of the international take were 3D showings

That has pretty much guaranteed a sequel the next few years.

I don't find it weird. People cheer when they watch football at home. What's the difference?

Film is fiction, sports is real.

That's the difference, Einstein.

They're both moving people on a screen. One doesn't know the outcome of a hail mary anymore than they know the outcome of a car chase. There is no difference.

Koray, you're out of your mind!

People cheer for their team cause they have been following them for however long, and its enjoyable to them to follow said team and root for them win. And it is, after all, real life people doing real life things!

It's closer to applauding someone for you know graduating from something or winning some award than it is to applauding at a movie.

Movies are movies! It's all fake! There is no reason to applaud if no one who made the movie is in the room. People do it anyway because of some odd built in habits or something, I don't really know why.

Congrats amh, you are the only one who correctly picked this summers boxoffice champ.

Chris Pratt... frontmen for the #1 movie at the boxoffice of 2014 and*2015 ?? (The new SW movie won't be out enough long in December to hold that spot)

The number one film of 2014 was not a Chris Pratt film and a film released in 2015, even at the end counts it's take into the next year. The top film of 2014 was American Sniper. Star Wars 7 will be the top film of 2015 unless it is universally panned by critics and audiences alike.

In fact GotG finished behind Mockingjay Pt 1 in 2014.