JAWS returning to theaters this summer for 40th Anniversary

Jay

Man, its a well-made movie.

Talk about a complete understatement. It's better than every film he's made except for E.T.

Not even Raiders or CEotTK. Even Schindler pales other than subject matter.

Craft and happy accident become art and stand the test of time.

Debating 5 star movies against each other is pointless. They're all great!

Schindler is a 3.5 star film out of 4 stars. It is a flawed film. To much schmaltz at the end.

Jaws is better than CE3K. But I think it's on par with Raiders and ET.

Those movies are his holy trinity.

Regardless of ranking and alternative personal favorites, it's probably fair to say that those four are the legacy films, along with Schindler's List to make five. And I do think Schindler is a masterpiece, not just because of the subject matter but I think it's the best screenplay he ever worked with...the treatment and portrayal of Amon Goeth is particularly stunning, and I have no problem with the ending. As far as I'm concerned, however "important" it is, it's also a great film.

Actually (and I know this isn't really what Steef meant) but if we're going to talk "important vs great", I would say Jurassic Park fits that the most in that it's far more notable as a landmark in visual effects than for its overall storytelling qualities, entertaining and iconic though it is. Sort of our King Kong, I think. Also Saving Private Ryan has an important place in film history for the D-Day sequence, but while the movie is good, I think most of us agree it's not quite great.

Its brilliant!

Of the other ones I can only recommend Jaws 2, which is a decent sequel in its own right.

Jaws 3D is rainy Sunday evening viewing at best and The Revenge is awful.

Granted, "Jaws 3D" is rather silly, but it did have Bess Armstrong in a wetsuit, so it wasn't all bad.

There are 2 great things about "Jaws 2" . One is the cinematography.

regarding SPR, it suffers from Schindler's List syndrome, too schmaltzy at the end.

While they are terrrible, they are needed for framing. They would have been better with the old man alone, though. No family to ask 'Have i been worthy?'

regarding SPR, it suffers from Schindler's List syndrome, too schmaltzy at the end.

Those films are just too long. Prior to, I suppose The Color Purple, Spielberg's films were a perfect length. Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters, Raiders, Temple, Duel etc. never drag. Do we have Spielberg to blame for all these bloated 2 1/2 hour films nowadays?

The middle section of SPR is far from masterful. It's meandering and just not that well written. I still enjoy the film a lot, but mainly for its spectacular battle sequences.

Its far too literal, with characters actually discussing the central message of the film.

Spielberg really didn't want his audience to mis the point on this one.

One of the most dramatically potent scenes is one with no dialogue at all. When Mother Ryan gets a visit from a military officer and a priest, and she realises why they have come.

Schindler is a 3.5 star film out of 4 stars. It is a flawed film. To much schmaltz at the end.

The ending almost ruins it, true. The majority of this film feels almost like a documentary and then, for whatever reason, Spielberg thinks he needs emotional katharsis. As if the entire thing wasn't emotional enough already.

Karol

Do we have Spielberg to blame for all these bloated 2 1/2 hour films nowadays?

I think if anything, it was Titanic that made it popular to be "epic" again. Plus a string of others in the 90s/early 00s. Spielberg was in there but you had Forrest Gump, ID4, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean....it became the new norm somewhere along the way.

I watched Titanic twice during its run. Once with the gf at the time, then a second time with her mum. It was an event movie to end them all! I also coincidentally found myself seated directly beside an old best mate whom I hadn't seen for five years prior.

Cool story, bro.

It is difficult to compare "Dersu Uzala" to "Jaws." Both are about human's struggle against nature, I suppose. Bill Butler's cinematography in "Jaws" is beautiful. I have never seen it on the big screen so I am looking forward to this.