The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

I think in Episode 8, Chewie will take his mask off and Han will be underneath. "I thought Wookie's smelt bad...on the outside." Then cut to Max Rebo on the drums; Ba dum tsss.

Though that would be a rip-off of the scene from ROTJ when Chewie took his mask off to reveal Vader underneath, who took his mask off to reveal a Jawa underneath, who took his mask off to reveal Yoda, who says "Chewie is the path to the dark side. Chewie leads to Vader, Vader leads to Jawa's, and Jawa's... lead to me." Apparently the scene was cut from the Russian version.

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I think in Episode 8, Chewie will take his mask off and Han will be underneath. "I thought Wookie's smelt bad...on the outside." Then cut to Max Rebo on the drums; Ba dum tsss.

Though that would be a rip-off of the scene from ROTJ when Chewie took his mask off to reveal Vader underneath, who took his mask off to reveal a Jawa underneath, who took his mask off to reveal Yoda, who says "Chewie is the path to the dark side. Chewie leads to Vader, Vader leads to Jawa's, and Jawa's... lead to me." Apparently the scene was cut from the Russian version.

"Let's do some drills."

"This doesn't make a lick of sense."

tumblr_inline_nnwmzjqhcg1qbv5qk_1280.png

I suppose it has been posted before but I just watched it and finally someone is talking sense! 

Indeed, roaming the internet, it is clear that the rebel group is slowly but surely expanding. 

I think The Force Awakens is better than Jedi.

There's the one that's excellent, and then Star Wars and Force Awakens, which are enjoyable and charismatic but flawed, and then the others...

It just didn't leave an impression on me. While I'm curious to see Mark Hamill in the sequel, I don't really care about any of these new characters. See, at least with the prequels, you were curious to see how everything fell into place that led to the universe we knew from the original movie. With this new trilogy, I just don't give a shit. It doesn't feel like there's a reason for it to exist except to make more sequels.

I didn't watch the video, partly because the uber nerd sound of the commentary was immediately off putting and I have zero affinity with those sorts (apparently Alexcremers does, who knew?), but does the guy who made it really believe the prequels are superior to TFA? :nod:ROTFLMAO

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I didn't watch the video, partly because the uber nerd sound of the commentary was immediately off putting and I have zero affinity with those sorts (apparently Alexcremers does, who knew?), but does the guy who made it really believe the prequels are superior to TFA? :nod:ROTFLMAO

It's funny that he complains about plot holes of all things in TFA while saying the prequels are better, because, well....

I recognized a lot of what he was saying though. That doesn't mean I have to agree with every single thing. 

He isn't a fan of the Prequels either but at least they were a little more creative.  Don't you guys understand English?

You seemed surprised though that there are people who disliked TFA and who prefer the Prequels. There was always gonna be a large group of Lucas devotees who would prefer those. They have defended them for more then 15 years now.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

He isn't a fan of the Prequels either but at least they were a little more creative.

I recognize this, but I also recognize that in the areas of plot holes and characters making sense that he mentions, well...

I've always admired the ambitious nature of the Prequels.

And it can't be denied they are rather different then the OT. Lucas didn't just want to do an updated version of those, which is essentially what TFA is.

But while ambition is important, so is execution. And Lucas failed in almost every conceivable way in that for me.

20 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

They're Saturday matinee popcorn space operas for kids that have been built up as something greater by people who refuse to grow up and accept this fact.

Yeah the best kids movies were always about taxation on trade routes and dreary dull disputes in the senate. 

Not for the first time do I call BS on this cop out of an excuse. 

The trade route crap was never the point, was it?

The story is pretty simple. Peaceful world is invaded, the good guys rescue the Queen and they are stranded on another planet, where they meet a boy with superpowers. They all team up to defeat the bad guys.

I'm saddened that the ""new"" stuff that Lucas tried became so automatically associated with his terrible execution. You see people literally saying the only options are something like Force Awakens or something like Phantom Menace. 

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

It just didn't leave an impression on me. While I'm curious to see Mark Hamill in the sequel, I don't really care about any of these new characters. See, at least with the prequels, you were curious to see how everything fell into place that led to the universe we knew from the original movie. With this new trilogy, I just don't give a shit. It doesn't feel like there's a reason for it to exist except to make more sequels.

What if the prequels were made first?  After watching TPM no one would care what happened afterwards.  The only interesting characters got killed. 

I loved TFA, but I do agree that there really isn't a reason to make these sequels. Star Wars is Anakin's story and that ends with ROTJ. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I've always admired the ambitious nature of the Prequels.

And it can't be denied they are rather different then the OT. Lucas didn't just want to do an updated version of those, which is essentially what TFA is.

But while ambition is important, so is execution. And Lucas failed in almost every conceivable way in that for me.

Everybody knows I'm all for execution, but being already familiar with J.J.'s execution, I realized in advance that I probably was going to be entertained but I wasn't going to be satisfied. J.J.'s previous movies didn't do that either. The striking likeness of the story didn't help matters either. What also comes into play is that I've been Star Warsed out for quite some time now. I'm no longer the target audience.

Poor reply.

J.J.  failed to revive the Star Wars that once was in me (most likely due to all the critique you have heard). Maybe Johnson will do a better job? 

Ok, first of all Happy New Year (this is my first post in 2016).

Just got back from Star Wars.

Unfortunately, it has confirmed to me that I've lost any interest whatsoever in Star Wars and I more than likely won't be seeing the next installments of the story (as I've lost interest in Harry Potter and didn't see the last 2 films, same with Lord of the Rings and didn't see the Hobbit trilogy, same with other franchises).

These franchises keep confirming (at least to me), than when you have a certain thematic material it's exhausted after a certain point, and you can't do anything new or extraordinary with it.

Star Wars became what I feared: a cheap daily soap-opera where the surprises are no surprises any more and lose their impact (i see it already, Fin being Lando's son, and Rey being Luke's daughter, thus Ren's cousin or maybe Han's and leia's daughter. The thing is that any suprise at this point has zero impact to me).

I've read all over the internet that the film felt like a remake of the first movie, but i had no idea that it would be a remake in that LARGE degree!! (from, the very first moment they hid the plans in the robot and left it in the desert)

There was not a single moment that I cared for any of the charcaters (not even for Han Solo's death which i had predicted half hour before that scene because the film felt like a remake - so that we would have the similar scene with Vader-Ben Kenobi, and the old good guy killed by the bad).

About Kyle Ren: an angry teenager like, who doesn't evoke any awe, terror or even respect. (perhaps that was the idea? If yes, then I take it back from the negatives of the film.)

The positive thing I noticed is that they didn't go completely CGI, and that was good comparing to the prequels.

Anyway, the bottomline is this:

The original trilogy was a milestone in film history bringing something new and combining it with the old (reminding of old westerns/pirate movies).

This film is just another sci-fi/action movie, that's rehashing the same story, therefore totally un-needed except for the need to bring money to the already hurt film industry.

So, that's it for me, I hope you enjoy the rest of your journey..

The original trilogy was a milestone in film history bringing something new and combining it with the old (reminding of old westerns/pirate movies).

Come on, maybe Empire is close to a milestone but the other two? I don't think so. 

What the hell were you expecting anyways? Your childhood is gone, you'll never experience the same awe than we you heard Vader say he was Luke father. And besides, if that were to be done nowadays, it would be cheesy as fuck.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Come on, maybe Empire is close to a milestone but the other two? I don't think so. 

What the hell were you expecting anyways? Your childhood is gone, you'll never experience the same awe than we you heard Vader say he was Luke father. And besides, if that were to be done nowadays, it would be cheesy as fuck.

I didn't expect anything.

That's why I was insisting beforehand, that any Star Wars movie from now on is unneeded. Been there, done that.

(also, that I am not a child any more and I'm grown up, doesn't mean I am not surprised by movies. I am. But, it's usually old movies that I haven't seen. The last I can remember was ROCKY, and  I was extremely negatively prejudiced about that because I don't like sports of any kind and I thought I wouldn't like any sport movie. But I loved this movie so much, and now it has become a yearly staple)

By the way, can anyone guide me to reviews by highly esteemed critics?

I'm curious to see what they say, and don't know where to look.

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well maybe not Jedi but Star Wars? Yes, absolutely!

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

By the way, can anyone guide me to reviews by highly esteemed critics?

Well I know a lot here put some faith in critics which is fair enough .....personally I wouldn't wipe my arse on a critic's tongue, the idea that of them being esteemed is as offensive as it is laughable as it is a contradiction for me. Unless the critic has a practical history in their chosen field of critique.

So I can't help sorry man, ha :P;)

Well for me Stefan I'm only disregarding the idea of someone being a professional critic, not their opinion or their praise or criticisms, etc.

Using Mark Kermode, yes he knows his movies and I'm interested in his opinion as Mark Kermode but not his opinion under the guise of a professional critic.

The problem with Kermode though is that he used to get too excited all the time with Ewan McGregor's cock in Trainspotting and go on and on about it!!! :lol:

I prefer a professional critic, as he is someone who can atleast be held to somekind of standards since they get paid for the job. And can be held accountable.

An amateur critic might as well be a guy down the pub, complaining about the government and all those bloody foreigners.

Hey that's fair enough man, it's just a concept I've never gelled with ....plus payment is unfortunately no guarantee of a receiving a quality or professional service.

I know what you mean though.