Photos from the Force Awakens recording sessions!

Jay

The film credits stated clearly that orchestrations were by John Williams and William Ross.

No wonder! With all that re-writing and long and short versions, anyone could use a bit of help.

Really nice photos. I cannot wait for more footage from the sessions in the blu-ray.

It's been known forever that William Ross helped to both orchestrate and conduct. Why is it a bad thing in either case? Is it bad when Conrad Pope does all the orchestrations?

Yeah, Williams has been using orchestrators for as long as he's been writing for films...and it's impossible to pick out by ear which cues were orchestrated by whom, since his sketches and collaboration process leaves very little room for the orchestrators to change the final sound. They're there to help complete the legwork in a timely fashion, not to significantly affect the way the score sounds.

Thanks for the link Jay! :)

20 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Yeah, Williams has been using orchestrators for as long as he's been writing for films...and it's impossible to pick out by ear which cues were orchestrated by whom, since his sketches and collaboration process leaves very little room for the orchestrators to change the final sound. They're there to help complete the legwork in a timely fashion, not to significantly affect the way the score sounds.

Be prepared for a lengthy discussion on John Williams' ability to orchestrate and people's knowing comments on Angela Morley, Conrad Pope and John Neufeld. And then of course detractors and defenders going into a brawl of words on the subject.

:(

So Williams' sketches are complete, there's nothing embellished by anyone else?  He doesn't write piano songs that someone else arranges for orchestra?

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So Williams' sketches are complete, there's nothing embellished by anyone else?  He doesn't write piano songs that someone else arranges for orchestra?

Stop pouting all the time TGP! It's John Williams forum! Joy is what we live for! The joy of music!

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

But is it really HIS music with all these orchestrators involved?  Does anyone have any insight into how his sketching process works?

Well he mostly hums and sometimes whistles and the orchestrator takes down his musical musings and takes it from there. Or so I hear on the interwebs. Surely that can't be false information spread by malicious people.

I hear John Williams can't even hold a pitch...the orchestrators just have to guess at what notes he's humming at them!

No, in all seriousness, for anyone reading who's not aware, Williams' sketches are very detailed and complete. They're just compressed down onto fewer staves with a lot of shorthand. It's a format that's quicker to write in, but the information is all there. Composers vary in the ways they use orchestrators, but Williams knows what he wants the orchestra to do. He just doesn't usually have time to write it all out formally on the conductor's score.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You seriously didn't know that? 

That would be weird.

It was announced that Williams was orchestrating himself the TFA score, a thing that has never been mentioned out as a bonus thing, like this one was.

William Ross was supposedly there because of Williams's back issues (ie. "heart"). (He is no traditional Williams orchestrator either) if Williams had not been ill Ross would not have had any relation with the film. And since no other orchestrator was hired (not even Pope) i would had assumed that TWA was "Music composed, orchestrated and conducted by John Williams"

Yes.

But it was reported many many months ago that Ross was hired as a orchestrator and conductor. And he's credited as such in the film and on the OST.

Of you really didn't know that at this point then you haven't been paying attention.

I would dare anyone to point out a track that was conducted by Ross rather then Williams. It's completely irrelevant IMO.

Right from the start, when I first heard TFA, I thought something sounded off. At first, I thought it was because of the LA players, but now I realize it was because Ross orchestrated the damn thing!

48 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So now do you like TFA less then before you found out? 

Or does it explain maybe why the score isnt as good as you wanted it to be?

No.

I just liked the idea of Williams 100% officially orchestrating one of his big scores at age 84.

Bear in mind much of the BloodBoal character and that subculture was cultivated in Tolkiensville. I purposefully avoided that flavour of banter which you grew to know and love so much.

Alvar wasn't invented as a sort of pseudo Tolkien nickname? Sounds like a made up Elf name, like Figwit. 

Quintus - comfortably on the clique boundaries these days

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

True.

I barely visit the Tolkiens threads now.....

Barely anyone does. It's a ghost town there.

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

No.

I just liked the idea of Williams 100% officially orchestrating one of his big scores at age 84.

He orchestrated it himself and as usual he had assisting staff of orchestrators. What is the huge deal about this? Apart from his concert work Williams usually employs orchestrators to facilitate the process of getting the music ready on time for the recording sessions. The usual suspects these days are Eddie Karam and Conrad Pope.

There is no huge deal. Never was there a bigger nitpicker on JWFan who is chronically sensitive to (and vocal of) filmic occurrences which didn't align immaculately with his own ideals of how they should be done.

Just scroll past. 

55 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Just scroll past. 

For me, any visit to JWFAN always consists of 90% rapid scrolling -- it's a good exercise.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Didn't he orchestrate The Book Thief on his own? 

And apparently...that score sucked!

Well I beg to disagree but hey I am just a fanboy.

Also Lincoln seems to have been also entirely orchestrated by Williams.

Seems?

If it's not clearly specified on an album we don't know.

I made a very fast round trip for my "arrangements & orchestrations" page for my websitr and found only two case on filmtracks where Jw seems really credited as the arranger : JFK and Schindler's list.

I didn't read all the booklets of the Cd of my collection yet. :-)