Gondor motif from LOTR already heard in Far and Away?

Cumulonimbus

Hi, anyone ever noticed this? It is really similar to the Gondor motif from Howard Shore. John Williams didnt really developed it here, and I think Howard Shore heard this and thought Ah, I can use this! 

0:47 in the video, embedded link will start from there. I think you here the motif twice.

FYI the first three notes of the love theme from Far and Away are the same as the first three of the Shire theme, but that's a little bit out there I know. (Love theme from The Terminal has the same notes as well). 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Hi, anyone ever noticed this? It is really similar to the Gondor motif from Howard Shore. John Williams didnt really developed it here, and I think Howard Shore heard this and thought Ah, I can use this! 

Ha, ha....laugh of the day.

There is actually a word for this cognitive phenomenon (I keep forgetting it), i.e. someone hears a snippet of music that reminds them of something else, and is then convinced that there must be some sort of connection.

What I hear here, is a very common chord progression that can be found in lots of music, a sequence of three notes rising and falling.

1 minute ago, petaQ said:

The OP has yet to reach ten posts. He's allowed some time to be ridiculous. 

Ah, so this is such a forum as well... Thanks for pointing that out. Friendly forums are getting rarer and rarer.

I for one appreciate your posts.

But I have no idea what Gondor's theme sounds like, so I can't comment. Can you maybe provide a link (or track) of where you hear this Far and Away sequence of notes in Shore's score? I look up "Gondor's theme" on Google and I get 5 minute or 10 minute tracks. :S

3 minutes ago, loert said:

I for one appreciate your posts.

But I have no idea what Gondor's theme sounds like, so I can't comment. Can you maybe provide a link (or track) of where you hear this Far and Away sequence of notes in Shore's score? I look up "Gondor's theme" on Google and I get 5 minute or 10 minute tracks. :S

Thanks for your post :). Apparently it is not worthy to note, and not that uncommon. But anyway, the first 9 seconds of the following link is the exact motif. Sorry for bringing this up anyway.

Oh, I see. Well, it definitely has some similarities in terms of contour. The intervals are different in the 2nd half though and it gives both themes a very different feel. I would say it's not entirely impossible that Shore was inspired by that segment, especially given the Celtic setting and all that...but you just never know. 

On the other hand, I was too listening to the F&A score a few days ago, and when I heard 1:17  in The Big Match I immediately thought of Arnold's score for ID4!

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

Here's my favorite quote of the theme, @loert.

The greatest film sequence primarily driven by score from this century (of course there's not much competition given that filmmakers no longer allow score to drive anything).

I doubt Shore's even heard that cue.

Sure some contour similarity is there, but it's a rather superficial one. Doesn't seem likely that Shore was intentionally inspired by such a brief segment of underscore.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....laugh of the day.

There is actually a word for this cognitive phenomenon (I keep forgetting it), i.e. someone hears a snippet of music that reminds them of something else, and is then convinced that there must be some sort of connection.

What I hear here, is a very common chord progression that can be found in lots of music, a sequence of three notes rising and falling.

Apophenia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

2 hours ago, KK said:

Doesn't seem likely that Shore was intentionally inspired by such a brief segment of underscore.

How about unintentionally? ;) 

Heh, saw this thread and had never heard of that connection before, but immediately thought of the fact that the Gondor theme is similar to the Memoirs of a Geisha theme, as was mentioned above.

Completely coincidentally, I've had the Far and Away OST CD in my car for weeks now, planning to listen to it, but just hadn't yet...... but seeing this thread spurred me to finally put it in.  So I listened this morning on my way to work and certainly didn't hear anything Gondorian.  I figured maybe it was from a track I hadn't gotten to yet, but nope.  Oh well.

On 11/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, Disco Stu said:

The greatest film sequence primarily driven by score from this century (of course there's not much competition given that filmmakers no longer allow score to drive anything).

Gia's scoring of the wordless opening sequence of Up. I think there's something in my eye.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Gia's scoring of the wordless opening sequence of Up. I think there's something in my eye.

Good one!

And of course "Jedi Steps" deserves a place on this hypothetical list now as well.

On 3-11-2016 at 1:16 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

Ah, so this is such a forum as well... Thanks for pointing that out. Friendly forums are getting rarer and rarer.

:(

I know one friendly forum (usually), but that's because I moderate there and won't accept anything else.

But that does you no good as it's not about film music.

There's plenty of good people around here too though.

Plus some that often you should take with a grain of salt.

At least this place is generally OK.