Mark Mancina's TWISTER (1996) - Expanded Archival Collection (La-La Land 2017)

Richard Penna

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my French, but holy fucking shit!  I never thought it was possible!!!! AWESOME!!!!!

Here's a copy and paste of the info to archive it here

We hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season! 2016 was certainly an interesting year here at the triple L. X-Files and Big Trouble proved that no matter how many times a title is released there is always an audience for it. Trek and Super Heroes reigned supreme, but it took a smart ass teen, a wise-cracking cop, an adventurous boy always on a Quest and 2 dino sized adventures to put us over the top in 2016, making it our best 4th quarter ever!

With New Year's quickly approaching we thought we would give you a heads up on what LLL has brewing for the first of the new year:

On Jan 17, 2017 we have another edition to our long running Expanded Archival Collection:

Image may contain: text

TWISTER (20th Anniversary Edition)
Music by Mark Mancina
LLLCD 1412
Limited Edition of 3000 units
Retail Price: $19.98
Produced by Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser
Edited and Mastered by Mike Matessino
Liner Notes by Tim Greiving
Art Direction by Dan Goldwasser

La-La Land Records, Warner Music Group, Warner Bros. Pictures and Amblin Entertainment present TWISTER: EXPANDED ARCHIVAL EDITION. This 20th Anniversary Edition (a tad bit late) has been newly remastered and expanded by Producers Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser, fixing all errors from the previous release and making it the best possible listening experience this side of a F-1. Liner notes by Tim Greiving feature new interviews with composer Mark Mancina and director Jan De Bont. Dan Goldwasser helps guide you through his cow flyin' art direction!

1. Wheatfield (Film Version)** 1:26
2. The Hunt Begins** 3:51
3. The Sky** 1:03
4. Dorothy IV (Film Version) 1:56
5. The First Twister* 0:49
6. In the Ditch / Where’s My Truck? 2:00
7. Waterspouts** 2:49
8. Cow 5:42
9. Walk in the Woods* 2:05
10. Bob’s Road 2:13
11. Hail No! 2:43
12. Futility (Film Version) 2:17
13. Drive-in Twister** 2:57
14. Wakita (Film Version)** 5:19
15. Sculptures (Film Version) 3:06
16. House Visit 4:47
17. The Big Suck (Film Version)** 1:47
18. End Title** 2:20

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
19. Wheatfield (Alternate) 1:33
20. Waterspouts (Alternate)** 2:50
21. The Big Suck (Alternate) 1:13
22. End Title / Respect the Wind§ 9:21
TOTAL TIME: 64:07

* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material

§ written and performed by Edward and Alex Van Halen

This cd goes on sale Jan 17, 2017 at 12 pm pst on www.lalalandrecords.com

Stay tuned for a special event regarding Mr Mancina!

Happy New Year, y'all!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Pardon my French, but holy fucking shit!  I never thought it was possible!!!! AWESOME!!!!!

I remember MV posted sometime I think this year or last year that he said rights issues with the Van Halen stuff is what was holding it up.  I guess it just took a long ass time for those right issues to get cleared.  I'm really damn glad it's finally cleared.  I can't wait to listen to "Walk In The Woods".

Yeah - that's the first cue I'm heading for. Pure exhilarating musical energy.

There's also the untrimmed opening, whatever's missing from the final sequence (some might be tracked). Other than those, we escape Mancina's bizarre album sequencing.

At 2:05, it looks like we're just getting Mancina's cue before it segues into Humans Being.

Is there any other Van Halen material apart from Respect the Wind? If not, then they're only represented here by the inclusion of track 22, which nicely renders the OST obsolete.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

At 2:05, it looks like we're just getting Mancina's cue before it segues into Humans Being.

Is there any other Van Halen material apart from Respect the Wind? If not, then they're only represented here by the inclusion of track 22, which nicely renders the OST obsolete.

From what I remember there really isn't any other Van Halen stuff apart from "Respect The Wind". 

I do agree it'll be nice to get rid of the OST.  The OST was okay but wasn't thrilled with how it was assembled.  I wouldn't be surprised either if the channels were actually swapped on the OST and corrected on this release.  Will do some comparison when I get it.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's a copy and paste of the info to archive it here

Am I the only one that immediately thought "They released JNH's Big Trouble?!" before realizing he was talking about Big Trouble In Little China?

18 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Is this really necessary for someone who is content with the OST?

If you're content with the OST, didn't you just answer your own question?

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Whatever happened to Mark Mancina and Jan de Bont? 

Jan de Bont hasn't directed a film since 2003.

Mark Mancina still scores films here and there. Moana just came out a few weeks ago. His scores for the Planes films a couple years ago are pretty great.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Am I the only one that immediately thought "They released JNH's Big Trouble?!" before realizing he was talking about Big Trouble In Little China?

:lol: I also thought he was talking about that score at first too!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

He did the latest Disney animation? Good for him. 

Check out his score to Planes - its as good as his 90s classics.

You can now pre-order an autographed copy for $19.95, plus $3.50 shipping (to the US)

http://creaturefeatures.com/shop/cds/twister/

You won't receive it in the mail nearly as quickly as you will if you order it from LLL directly (since the signing event where Mancina will sign them doesn't even happen until January 21st), and your copy will not be shrinkwrapped (they open it up to sign it; This isn't like a free LLL autograph where you get a second booklet that's signed plus a shrinkwrapped copy).  

But hey, it's still a free autograph!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to drive around listening to this. I wish I still had my CB radio in my truck.

"Where's the road, Rabbit?"

Also, someone's going to have to edit the Van Halen song in there. We're all counting on you.

I've listened to this new album 3 times now and I LOVE IT!

On first listen it was quite jarring to hear cues coming to an actual end instead of seguing to the next like on the album in a few spots, but by the third listen that had subsided entirely. I really LOVE the new presentation!

Mancina wrote one corker of an action score here. There isn't a ton of break from the action (since most of the scenes in between tornado chases play without music, or with pop music on a radio), but that doesn't matter at all because there is enough to break up the action tracks, and every action track is freaking fantastic anyway!

It all sounds GREAT too, really stellar sound quality. The complete score has a great flow to it; I love the way it starts right off with the super fun Wheatfield track (they were right to not put any score in the film's opening flashback prologue).

I think the best thing this release offers over the old one might just be the end titles! Mancina does a GREAT job summarizes the score in that track, really providing a cathartic release from all the hecticness that came before it. Its a super ending cue! I'm SO GLAD he was able to write and record this 2 1/2 minute piece, since in the film and on the old album you only hear the first minute of it before the Van Halen keyboards and guitar come in and take over things. Great ending to the main score presentation!!

If I can make one suggestion for improved listening experience, it would be to swap tracks 2 and 3. The reason is that track 1 is an upbeat version of the main theme, and then track 2 is also an upbeat version of the main theme. Then track 3 is a more atmospheric track, and track 4 opens with the exact same atmosphere before building up to more upbeat action music.

If you swap tracks 2 and 3, then track 1 is your intro, then you'd get a "breather", then another action track, then back to a quiet bit before building up.

Of course, I'm glad the CD presents everything in order, but this is just one small change I thought of on third listen that make make for a nice flow to start off the score.

Great job all around, everyone who worked on this CD!

The liner notes in the new release tell the story about how Mancina got the gig directing Jan De Bont's first movie because he liked an action cue in True Romance, and went he went to Zimmer, Zimmer told him Mark Mancina wrote that particular cue, and the rest was history.  Mancina wrote additional music for a number of scores, including also Days of Thunder and Lion King.  Guess those additional writing gigs really paid off!

10 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

So let it be known, this is the closest to Zimmer I get.

You don't own The Lion King soundtrack, even though you gushed about the Scar/Simba fight two posts ago? 

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I've listened to this new album 3 times now and I LOVE IT!

On first listen it was quite jarring to hear cues coming to an actual end instead of seguing to the next like on the album in a few spots, but by the third listen that had subsided entirely. I really LOVE the new presentation!

Mancina wrote one corker of an action score here. There isn't a ton of break from the action (since most of the scores in between tornado chases play without music, or with pop music on a radio), but that doesn't matter at all because there is enough to break up the action tracks, and every action track is freaking fantastic anyway!

It all sounds GREAT too, really stellar sound quality. The complete score has a great flow to it; I love the way it starts right off with the super fun Wheatfield track (they were right to not put any score in the film's opening flashback prologue).

I think the best thing this release offers over the old one might just be the end titles! Mancina does a GREAT job summarizes the score in that track, really providing a cathartic release from all the hecticness that came before it. Its a super ending cue! I'm SO GLAD he was able to write and record this 2 1/2 minute piece, since in the film and on the old album you only hear the first minute of it before the Van Halen keyboards and guitar come in and take over things. Great ending to the main score presentation!!

If I can make one suggestion for improved listening experience, it would be to swap tracks 2 and 3. The reason is that track 1 is an upbeat version of the main theme, and then track 2 is also an upbeat version of the main theme. Then track 3 is a more atmospheric track, and track 4 opens with the exact same atmosphere before building up to more upbeat action music.

If you swap tracks 2 and 3, then track 1 is your intro, then you'd get a "breather", then another action track, then back to a quiet bit before building up.

Of course, I'm glad the CD presents everything in order, but this is just one small change I thought of on third listen that make make for a nice flow to start off the score.

Great job all around, everyone who worked on this CD!

It may seem like a better "listening experience" to swap tracks 2 and 3 around but it won't be in film order any more.

Great question!  The website says "Pre-orders will begin shipping soon after the event. ", well, the event was 6 days ago now!

Maybe they HAVE shipped them out, but we don't get shipping emails?