The Official Miklos Rozsa Thread

SteveMc

24 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Hi all Rozsa-files! I was listening to the excellent Hollywood '95 compilation from Varese earlier (probably the best of their Hollywood 94/95/96 albums I think, in terms of content and performance, incidentally the only one without any John Williams on it...)

Had that album once, as well as the others, but sold them, alas. 96 had one of the worst soundtrack covers of all time.

As for the Rozsa, I'm afraid my exposure is the same as yours. I've heard that cue, but not seen the film or heard the score otherwise. We should have had Rozsaphile here, from the FSM boards. He knows this kind of stuff.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Had that album once, as well as the others, but sold them, alas. 96 had one of the worst soundtrack covers of all time.

As for the Rozsa, I'm afraid my exposure is the same as yours. I've heard that cue, but not seen the film or heard the score otherwise. We should have had Rozsaphile here, from the FSM boards. He knows this kind of stuff.

Agreed about the Hollywood 96 cover. Really cheap and nasty. Especially after the cool 95 Bob Peak (I think) painting. Although the album itself is good. Some nice selections well performed. The selection from Menken’s Hunchback score is particularly superb.

Might have to post something to the FSM board but thought I’d try my luck here first. Just surprising that it never gets mentioned and not like he’s an obscure golden age composer! Just gave it another listen. Absolutely lovely.

It's just an old British Korda movie and nobody saw it (under the age of 100). 

Here you find all information FSM provides: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=61111&forumID=1&archive=0

Thanks for the link and info. The FSM post is interesting, but it seems I'm not the only one who is surprised it's never seen the light of day. As I commented there, I think That Hamilton Woman would have made a fine entry in the Bernstein/RPO series (although I admit there is a lot of competition in that regard!).

Yeah only the Love Theme has ever been released from this score, though it's been recorded multiple times (once by Rozsa in his Polydor series still awaiting CD release...and the great Morton Gould did it on an album with no less than the London Symphony in 1978!) I share your desire for a new complete recording of this score...along with a lot of other early Rozsa that's otherwise forgotten, to be honest. His 30s scores for the likes of The Four Feathers and even his very first feature score, Knight Without Armour, are fantastic too.

Yavar

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I have been obsessed with Miklos for a bit now and need to gush. I actually started this dive with Sodom and Gomorrah. I haven't watched the movie but it is on Youtube. I did watch to see the Destruction of Sodom and the Pillar of Salt sequence however. Regardless of the rest of the movie, the image of the actual pillar is terrifying. Zapped, melted, still vaguely human-like; it's horrifying. Of course then comes Stewart Granger to ruin it. But Rozsa is there to save the day. Even though the movie gives us barely a reaction from the daughters, Rozsa lets the Ildith theme sweep in again for their gaze as it did for their father's. He was truly brilliant, our Miklos.

I'm french, italian, irish, viking and me. Jenkins is the name of my mother.

Half Champagne (well Orion for truth) and Jenkins.

Desrochers, Champagne, Tremblay, Jenkins that's my ancestry.

Many Americans from the USA have french descendance. I love them all.

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Has this been posted Here before? Little interview excerpt from 1970. Funnily enough, John Williams sitting right beside Rózsa, but not speaking in this little snippet. Interesting anyway.

Yes, I believe so. I have this on an ancient CD-R from the 90s. But these days, the old CD-R videos are useless, as everything is on YouTube anyway. :) Williams doesn't say much throughout the whole interview.