What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

7 minutes ago, karelm said:

I quite liked this release.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have recordings of those on Naxos so will have to give them a listen (except the symphony 2 choral extended theme... intriguing).

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Magic flute, act 1, in English, Mackerras. How nice! I hope he's done more of them in English. What a joy.

What the actual???!!!

My dear boy, listening to Mozart in English is like listening to The Beatles without ear muffs. It's simply not done.

17 hours ago, karelm said:

What do you folks think of Howard Hanson's music?

I remember checking out some of his other music after I got properly acquainted with the ALIEN score years and years ago, and liking it, but I can't for the sake of me remember what it was, sorry.

What about Alan Hovhaness? Hearing "Mysterious Mountain" on the Williams/FIVE SACRED TREES album totally blew me away back in the 90s. Exactly my kind of classical music. Majestic, but pastoral and religioso like the mountainscape it describes. Embarassingly, however, I never explored him further. Any other music like that in Hovhaness' catalogue, or other recommendations/must-haves?

12 hours ago, Thor said:

What about Alan Hovhaness? Hearing "Mysterious Mountain" on the Williams/FIVE SACRED TREES album totally blew me away back in the 90s. Exactly my kind of classical music. Majestic, but pastoral and religioso like the mountainscape it describes. Embarassingly, however, I never explored him further. Any other music like that in Hovhaness' catalogue, or other recommendations/must-haves?

If you like Mysterious Mountain, you'll probably like most of Hovhaness' music - at least based on the 10 albums of music by him that I have. Of the ones I have, I recommend Symphony 22 coupled with his Cello Concerto, Symphonies 2 (which is the Mysterious Mountain), 50 and 66, Symphony 48 coupled with his sax concerto and an album called Mountains and Rivers without End, which has a few shorter works plus his Symphony 6. The first three are all on Naxos so should be cheap and easy to find (and probably on spotify).

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've posted before and I'll post again: Rautavaara is the dog's bollocks.

His ANGELS series is astonishing.

I have most of his symphonies and the complete concertos set, will have to give the Symphony 7 (Angel of Light) and Angels & Visitations a listen clearly!

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

My dear boy, I have already listened to Karajan's recording. Allow me this wayward adventure.

Finished act 2. That's it, I'm buying it. What a recording.

Finished disc 1 of Chailly's Beethoven cycle. Very nice so far, though 2-2 still didn't grab my attention (not his fault) and Leonore 3 is still the noisy drag that's tacked on for no reason at all other than making it longer.

Eroica, Chailly. What a performance! This is the frist time the symphony had my attentoin for 99% of the time. Movements 2 and 4 stood out. Fidelio Overture was a totally unncessary bonus.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

s-l500.jpg

Have listened to this a couple of times recently and really enjoy both works. Christus Apollo is like he took the DNA of the Omen score and turned it into a concert work. Shame Jerry didn't feel the urge to write more concert works really. In my iTunes library, I moved Fireworks to the film music album released at the same time. Being all up beat and fun, it tonally fits better amongst the film scores than it does against these two spiky and dramatic works.

• 2 weeks later...

mbid-05ffffa2-66d5-32a5-994b-9922b620c46

Was there ever a more prolific classical composer than Telemann? I've always felt like exploring his output is like exploring a jungle. Too much, and too difficult to navigate. But I absolutely adore the Trauer Kantate, which I'm currently listening to.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Was there ever a more prolific classical composer than Telemann? I've always felt like exploring his output is like exploring a jungle. Too much, and too difficult to navigate. But I absolutely adore the Trauer Kantate, which I'm currently listening to.

mbid-05ffffa2-66d5-32a5-994b-9922b620c46

One of the reasons he was so prolific, and not always producing works of high quality, was that he needed to support his wife who was a big time spender.

Check out Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin for engaging recordings of his better works.

Thanks for the recommendation! By the way, do you know when the Trauer Kantate was composed? I've been struggling to find the information online.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the recommendation! By the way, do you know when the Trauer Kantate was composed? I've been struggling to find the information online.

I don't know. Have you checked the documentation in your box?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then I guess it was composed in 1708, or earlier. 

Yeah. Alas, "1708 or earlier" is hard to write into my iTunes. :D

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah. Alas, "1708 or earlier" is hard to write into my iTunes. :D

Welcome to the world of early music. Be happy that the composer seems to be known for certain. ;) 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, but no biggie. I've come to terms with the fact that a lot of my classical music will remain year-free.

I actually usually put the recording or recording release date (not quite consistent there, I'm afraid) into the year tag. Also e.g. for re-recordings of film scores. This allows me to distinguish between older and newer recordings when searching for stuff, and the era of the composer is something I usually know anyway.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not complete!

How so?

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

For the Bartok Concerto, you need Reiner with Chicago. Or Dorati in  Minneapolis.

I prefer more modern recordings, and Rattle never fails me with the earlier 20th century repertoire.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I actually usually put the recording or recording release date (not quite consistent there, I'm afraid) into the year tag. Also e.g. for re-recordings of film scores. This allows me to distinguish between older and newer recordings when searching for stuff, and the era of the composer is something I usually know anyway.

That's one way to do it, sure. Me, I'm pretty "hard core" when it comes to composition dates; i.e. nothing else matters.

29 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

His Mahler 2/CBSO/Janet Baker from 1986 (I think?), is spectacular.

Yes, I have that one. His recording with the Berlin Phil is better, but I wanted all the wunderhorn symphonies by the same orchestra, so I went with that one.

His redo of the 8th is miles better, though. One of the few versions of that piece I like.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Violin concerto no. 1, for example. 

I didn’t buy that version, that’s just the one on YouTube. I got the single release with the Miraculous Mandolin and the Concerto for Orchestra.

I'd put this down as one of the best romantic/neo-romantic piano concertos nobody has every heard of and easily one of my all time favourite piano concertos*. Absolutely wonderful stuff. The companion works are excellent too. His Violin Concerto (the "Leeds") is pretty terrific too.

*I tend towards spikier 20th century efforts - Shostakovich, Prokofiev etc. - rather than Beethoven, Tchaikovsky etc.

image.png