How do you feel about Indy 4?

MrScratch

How do you feel about Indiana Jones IV?  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Are you kidding? Another Indy movie! I can't wait!!!
    • Ford may be 60, but he can still kick some butt
    • I'm only looking forward to buying the soundtrack, as long as its Williams
    • I'll see it only because I'm a fan of the originals, Spielberg and/or Williams
    • It should not be made, LAST CRUSADE was thee perfect way to end the series!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me up now, but I went with the last option.

Neil

I predicted that you would either go with the first or the last option, Indysolo.

LOL

I'm somewhere in between the last two options. While all of the previous Indy films were great fun, I'm not sure it's going to work. But I haven't heard about the plot, nor do I know anything else other than the fedora and whip will be back (as will Williams).

I feel that the Indy films belong to the 80's.  Also, what better ending is there than riding off into the sunset?

Neil

I can't tell you how many times I've said that same exact thing. I remember seeing it in the theater, watching them riding off into the sunset and thinking, "Wow, what a perfect ending!" And what would a new Indy movie be without Denholm Elliott?

I'll see it because it's Spielberg and Williams but I'm not sure how it is going to turn out with Harrison being in his 60's. It seems stupid.

However, I am not a person who thinks things like no new extra footage is needed in films, or the originals should be as they are and all that so as far as I'm concerened, do it, I'll place my comments after :)

nor do I know anything else other than the fedora and whip will be back (as will Williams).

Do you realize how little the whip was used in Last Crusade? Harrison Ford used it precisely twice in that movie. Once when he was swinging around outside of Castle Grunwald and again to save his father on the tank. He never used the whip ever to fight anybody. I've heard that people involved with the film (possibly Spielberg, but I'm not sure) felt that the whip as a weapon was to violent.

And what would a new Indy movie be without Denholm Elliott?

Mr. Elliott was not in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I've never felt that he was critical to the series and actually am annoyed with how he was reduced to cheap laughs in Last Crusade. In Raiders you got the sense that he was like Indy at one point, stating how he'd like to go after the Ark. In Last Crusade he is simply a buffoon that can't find anything.

Neil

I voted for the last option too. Not a difficult choise to make since I only liked the first one. The others were garbage just like the last three episodes in the SW series. With the decision of making yet another Indy, Spielberg shows that he's losing his touch. He wants to give people what they want and that is "Indiana Jones kicking butt". Harrison is getting too old for the job. Still I hope Spielberg pulls it off. I know Williams surely will.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I am against making another Indy movie, but that doesn't mean I expect it to be bad and I'm going to close my mind to any new thing. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking, but it's hardly inevitably headed towards of disaster.

After all, it is Spielberg we are talking about here . . . .

-ROSS, faithful

I feel that the Indy films belong to the 80's.  Also, what better ending is there than riding off into the sunset?

Neil

RIGHT!! The audience of the 80's and the audience of today are different. To please alot of the movie gowers today Speailberg would have to insert major cg and jaw dropping action which i think would change the flaver of the indy series. PLus the whole 60 year old thing bothers me.

Personally I think that TLC was the perfect ending. But it's another Indy movie. I can't wait.

Justin -Who didn't vote. :)

But Luke you must realize, even Spielberg has said that Last Crusade is the perfect ending to the series. And all the talk in 1989 was that yes indeed, Last Crusade would be the last Indiana Jones film.

Neil

Well he could have said that, but you cannot deny all movies end very well. And videogames and books (i think, havent read them yet)

You know i passed the 90's hearing a 4th Indy movie was projected. And Lucas, Spielberg and Ford decided not to make any more Indy movies unless they had a good script. Or so i heard.

I went with the first option obviously. There is still PLENTY of room for more story.

Plus I feel Last Crusade while very good, could be improved on.

I have to laugh at the comment of "What would a Indy movie be without Denholm Elliot?". Come on! Marcus Brody? WHO CARES! I mean he was funny in the movies he was in but he was HARDLY a pivotal character. Not to mention we already had an Indy without him with the 2nd film.

As for Ford being 60 well so friggin what? The man looks VERY good for his age and he keeps himself in good shape. Not to mention they can work wonders with makeup these days.

I do agree though that this should probably be the last Indy film.

I went for the first option, BUT, what Neil and others are saying is right.

Last Crusade is an awesome flick with an absolutely perfect ending. To go further beyond it, dammit, IndyIV HAS to be friggin' excellent, they have to have a reason to continue the saga.

But...shit......another Indy flick? I want to see that more than Episode III. I've heard new SW music. Now I want new Indy music by the master.

I'll probably go a little insane when the teaser trailer is shown in theaters.

I do agree though that this should probably be the last Indy film.

I, on the contrary would like a new trilogy, otherwise the new movie will stand a little appart from the others...

But seeing your love for New Trilogies, i hope they do not make another :angry:

I  

But...shit......another Indy flick? I want to see that more than Episode III. .

I'll take any Indy sequel over other sequels of current fads like Matrix,Charlie's Angels,or X-men.

K.M.Who has no movie he really looks forwards to this summer.

With the decision of making yet another Indy, Spielberg shows that he's losing his touch.

I'll believe that when I see it. People said that back when Lost World came out. Then look what happened. Saving Private Ryan was released. Then A.I.. Then Minority Report. Then Catch Me If You Can (which I haven't seen yet, but plan to very soon, since the DVD's out Tuesday). I'd personally like to see you eat your words, Alex.

If anything, Spielberg is improving his touch. He's expanded his repertoire beyond just "spectacle" movies like the ones he started out with. He's covering nearly every kind of genre he can. That's just versatility. I admire him for it. It shows he still has a passion for his career and he still likes what he does, even though he's got enough money to be secured if he lived to be 300. The man has shown that he's got a touch to direct and I think he's done little to prove that he'd lose it through Indy 4. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a 60 year old Harrison Ford play Indiana Jones, with a Williams score, directed by Spielberg.

From what I've read, Frank Darabont is writing this to Ford's age. That right there tells me they're being smart about making this movie. If they've got that age issue taken care of, then I doubt there's very much else they could do to make the movie a piece of crap. Ender's right. This is Spielberg we're talking about. If anyone knows how to make a good movie, it's him. He had a bad script with Temple of Doom, I think. Except for American Graffiti, Huyck and Katz can't seem to write anything of value. With Lost World, who knows what went wrong? It seems like audience fodder more than anything.

Just you anti-4 people wait...this one's going to be just as good as the rest of them, if not the best.

Oh...there should be another option for the poll: "Camping out for tickets? Why not!"

Except for American Graffiti, Huyck and Katz can't seem to write anything of value.

They did an uncredited re-write on Star Wars just before it started shooting. They mainly made George's dialogue a little better.

Neil

Except for American Graffiti, Huyck and Katz can't seem to write anything of value.

They did an uncredited re-write on Star Wars just before it started shooting. They mainly made George's dialogue a little better.

Neil

Still not as good as Kasdan in TESB, which was followed by Raiders of the Lost Ark. However, Kasdan did write ROTJ, too. Although, that could've only suffered from Marquand's direction, rather than Kasdan's script.

However, Kasdan did write ROTJ, too. Although, that could've only suffered from Marquand's direction, rather than Kasdan's script.

Kasdan wanted to do a film of similar feel to TESB, Lucas wanted more action. Kasdan still went along but was rather pissed.

And another Indy movie!! WOW! That trilogy is 100% pure fun. I agree with a talkshow host who said when Harrison was a guest that people would watch an indy movie even if Indy was an ill old guy who just gave advise. :)

Still not as good as Kasdan in TESB, which was followed by Raiders of the Lost Ark.

We're not comparing the screenplays of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. You said, "Huyck and Katz can't seem to write anything of value" and I showed to you that they could.

As for which screenplay is better, Star Wars was nominated for an Oscar while The Empire Strikes Back was not. I'm not big on awards, so I'll just let that speak for itself. Feel free to draw your own conclusion.

Neil

Concerning all this perfect ending talk,

I mainly agree, but nonetheless I can't wait to see the movie.

I could be wrong, but I would swear I read somewhere that Kasdan - that is, I think it was him - when they consulted him for the Last Crusade, came up with the ending of having Indy replace the Grail Knight. In that way, his life would come full circle, first chasing archaeological artefacts, in the end becoming one himself through garding one of the most important ones for the rest of his life - eternity that is.

I think thát would have been a great ending.

I also remember that Lucas and Spielberg decided not to go with that because they couldn't resist the thought of another possible sequel.

Greetings,

Lotman

We're not comparing the screenplays of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.  You said, "Huyck and Katz can't seem to write anything of value" and I showed to you that they could.

I disagree with you, which is why I brought TESB up.

As for which screenplay is better, Staar Wars was nominated for an Oscar while The Empire Strikes Back was not.  I'm not big on awards, so I'll just let that speak for itself.  Feel free to draw your own conclusion.

I accept your invitation, Neil. My conclusion is this: awards don't mean crap. ANH won for Best Score at the Oscars. However, I'm sure most people on this board will agree that TESB was the better SW score, not ANH. Personally, I enjoy the screenplay from TESB more than ANH in the same way I enjoy the score from TESB more than ANH. I don't use the Academy to tell me what I'm supposed to enjoy and not enjoy.

I disagree with you, which is why I brought TESB up.

You disagree with my facts? All I posted was, "They did an uncredited re-write on Star Wars just before it started shooting. They mainly made George's dialogue a little better." This is a fact. You can read it on page 7 of "Star Wars - The Annotated Screenplays" by Laurent Bouzerau. To quote George Lucas, "Dialogue has never been my strong point, and so I talked to Willard and Gloria and asked them to do a quick dialogue polish. I gave them the fourth draft of the script and they just improved the dialogue where they felt they could make a contribution. Then I took their changes, and sometimes I rewrote some of their lines. Some of the dialogue of course changed again when we started shooting. Some of it survived; some of it didn't. They did about thirty percent of the dialogue". Now if you think Star Wars is a bad movie, then that's your problem. :)

Perhaps I am missing something here. I can't understand why you even brought up The Empire Strikes Back in the first place. All you said was that Huyck and Katz have only done one good project. I pointed out that they also did work on Star Wars, so clearly they did work on more than one good movie (not to say anything about those of us who enjoy Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). So once again, I'm not sure how you can out of the blue compare the screenplays, when you never even mentioned Kasdan and Empire in your initial post.

Neil

OK, Neil.

1. I said Katz and Huyck haven't done anything great.

2. You replied to that, saying they'd written 30% of ANH's dialogue.

3. I replied, upholding my original claim about their lack of great writing, because held up to TESB, ANH's dialogue is inferior. Thus, Huyck and Katz haven't done anything of value, because I find ANH's dialogue to be bland, but TESB's to be interesting and rousing.

OK, Neil.  

1. I said Katz and Huyck haven't done anything great.

2. You replied to that, saying they'd written 30% of ANH's dialogue.

3. I replied, upholding my original claim about their lack of great writing, because held up to TESB, ANH's dialogue is inferior.  Thus, Huyck and Katz haven't done anything of value, because I find ANH's dialogue to be bland, but TESB's to be interesting and rousing.

Oh I get it now. While you're discussing your opinion, I kept bringing up those pesky facts. I'll try to never make that mistake again. :roll:

Neil

See that you don't Neil. Leave facts out of a perfectly fine discussion. Nice going...

Justin - :)

I, on the contrary would like a new trilogy, otherwise the new movie will stand a little appart from the others...  

But its not, nor has it ever been a trilogy. It was simply three films, only interconected by characters, not by story. That would be like saying the first 3 James Bond films are a trilogy.

Neil

Where the hell were these guys in 99 when TPM came out?? ROTFLMAO

:thumbup: Most posts are against it, but the poll says otherwise. Let's face it: we need adventure movies, we need old Harrison Ford and his funny, down-to earth, simple man hero.

We are curious about how Spielberg-Lucas-Ford-Williams will collaborate again after all these years. Spielberg, Ford and Williams are more mature, Lucas may have learned something in last years. Ford is 60, who cares? A good scriptwriter can use this as a plot device, to add drama and move the conflict into another level.

For starters, I expect Spielberg and Lucas having more than one disagreement that could turn into some interesting stuff, Ford wanting to have better acting opportunities, Williams wanting to use a completeley different approach....man, this has to be a blast! LOL

Well you want Indy look like bond?

Then Lucas-Spielbrg should hire a new young actor to play indy.

Do you see all bond movies as a whole series or you see them as the connery's season, brosnan season, etc...

it could be indy season and seasoned indy season :)

anyway if you want to see indy 4 and eventually you like it. Why would it hurt you if the made two more movies?

Er, speaking about indy 4, will they release a box set with the 4 movies? I want to buy the wholes series onece and for all, with the same design and so.